FAA medical questions

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
What do they typical do for the medical? I am 32 years old and in good shape, exercise daily, lift weights. did a full physical last year for an insurance policy etc. Blood work was good, etc. my biggest issue is I know for a fact I have white coat blood pressure issues. Initially my BP will spike some, then once calmed down and they re check it at the end, I am within line.

I would like to know details on what they do for class III medical. Last time I had blood drawn and damn near passed out because the lady kept sticking me, I want to be mentally prepared more or less for whats to come...

No needle sticks
Q-tips in the urine
you get an oral exam with the doc; but otherwise it really is no different from a normal (or what is supposed to be normal) physical exam from any other doc.
Your insurance exam is probably far more intensive
(assuming no abnormalities come up -- then be prepare for some probing)

You can expect the "there's no white-coat blood pressure phenomena" lecture". And that it will spike the same way when you tense up flying. Just saying what my medical examiner said to me. I fixed it by losing 15 pounds. In any case, the FAA blood pressure max is pretty high, 155/90.

Other than that, make sure your vision is good, expect a discrete hearing test (doc might turn away from you and whisper something), and try to cut down on the caffeine, carbs and sugar for a couple days in advance.

Last edited:
That all makes sense. I thought maybe they would probe around as well...much like the "big 50" mark. that is good to know.

eases my nerves some. no blood drawing is a great deal too. whew!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back