FAA Medical Question

Hawkeye

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hawkeye
I am trying to get my class 3 medical clearance so I can start private pilot courses but here's my dilemma/question.

I have been taking hydrocodone for an old back injury but I didn't know until my physical that this was a big no no. I understand why. The doc sent my stuff to the FAA and I am waiting to hear back. I had a cortisone injection yesterday to get off the pills and feel good. How long will it take to jear back from the faa?

I passed the physical in all other categories once I tell them I don't use hydrocodone anymore how long will I have to wait before I get my medical certification?

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited:
I am trying to get my class 3 medical clearance so I can start private pilot courses but here's my dilemma/question.

I have been taking hydrocodone for an old back injury but I didn't know until my physical that this was a big no no. I understand why. The doc sent my stuff to the FAA and I am waiting to hear back. I had a cortisone injection yesterday to get off the pills and feel good. How long will it take to jear back from the faa?

I passed the physical in all other categories once I tell them I don't use hydrocodone anymore how long will I have to wait before I get my medical certification?

Thanks for any help!!!

By "the doc sent my stuff to the FAA..." do you mean the AME or your primary doctor?

Be sure to wait until Dr. Bruce Chien comes by to answer this question since he's one of the best sources for answers to a question like this.

And whatever actions or documentation he advises you to take or gather, do it and you will increase your chances at obtaining your 3rd class certificate.

Yeah sorry bout that I meant the AME.

Do you think the doctor you mentioned will read this post?

I also need to add that when I got home from work after writing this there was a certified letter waiting for me from the faa. I probably don't need to tell anyone what it said but I will anyway. It said that my request has been denied because of the hydrocodone. I have to appeal within thirty days so I hope the doctor comes along pretty quick.

Do you think the doctor you mentioned will read this post?
Bruce is pretty good about reviewing this site regularly. I guarantee that when he sees your post, he will respond.

I also need to add that when I got home from work after writing this there was a certified letter waiting for me from the faa. I probably don't need to tell anyone what it said but I will anyway. It said that my request has been denied because of the hydrocodone. I have to appeal within thirty days so I hope the doctor comes along pretty quick.
:mad2: Bruce is going to be very cranky about this one. The first thing he tells everyone is to know what the requirements are in your case, and to have your documentation in order before submitting an application for an FAA medical -- and you didn't do that. If you have your ducks in a row, this isn't that hard, but if you crack the eggs before they're hatched, things get scrambled (or something like that). If anyone can tell you how to unscramble them, it's Bruce, but it's probably going to be more difficult and more expensive than if you'd asked before you applied.

I second whats been said about Dr. Bruce. He is very knowledgable and is an expert at what he does.

Plus one to Cap'n Ron's info about knowing before you go. Unfortunately the denial has also killed your chances of flying light sport aircraft. And Plus a billion on Bruce's depth of knowledge on how to help an airman obtain their medical.

I know now that I did mess up and I know that I will have to pay the piper. I will just have to wait and see what Dr. Bruce says and if he can help me.
Thanks for the replies!!

I know now that I did mess up and I know that I will have to pay the piper. I will just have to wait and see what Dr. Bruce says and if he can help me.
"Dear Lord, I know I have sinned, but You have promised that mercy is shown to the repentent. I have turned my back on my old ways, and lift my heart up to You in hopes of forgiveness. Have pity on a poor sinner, and make me clean again..."

Unfortunately, neither mercy, nor pity, nor forgiveness are FAA policy...

...but if anyone can, Bruce is the guy who can lead you to the path of righteousness in this matter.

Now go, and sin no more. Thus endeth the sermon, amen.

Does Dr. Bruce follow all the forums? He might see it faster if this got moved or reposted to the Medical forum.

Does Dr. Bruce follow all the forums? He might see it faster if this got moved or reposted to the Medical forum.

The Medical Forum is usually the best place. But he does read and contribute to others.

For a more immediate response, and to discuss your situation in private, send him an email directly.

His website is www.aeromedicaldoc.com and his email address is aeromedicaldoc@comcast.net

In response to capnron's post what is a light sport aircraft? Would that be the same as like a piper or something along those lines will I still be able to fly my family? Please be easy on me I am new to all of this.
Thanks

In response to capnron's post what is a light sport aircraft? Would that be the same as like a piper or something along those lines will I still be able to fly my family? Please be easy on me I am new to all of this.
Thanks

Don't take Ron's comments too hard. He swings a sledge to knock dust off the mantle and criticizes folks for spilling milk. I've suggested decaf only to him but maybe that's not enough. Perhaps a regime of x-lax should be added. Sorry that he jumped on you as you learn about the FAA and FAA medical rules.

Light sport aircraft are limited in max gross weight, airspeed, altitude, day only, and one passenger only. If your family is small (like one other person) then you could take them.

I have no direct knowledge but understand almost anything outside the (forget the exact number) automatically disqualifying conditions can be worked around and the medical will be issued. In the mean time, you can start training and pass the written exam.

Last edited:
In the mean time, you can start training and pass the written exam.
I would suggest studying for the written for sure (lower $$) and wait for a bit until you know you know the status of obtaining your medical and what depth of documentation you need to gather up from your doctors.

I would hate for you to spend a lot of money on aircraft and CFI rental and then find out you can't obtain the certificate.

I saw on another board that Dr. Bruce had been travelling this week (and maybe next) and WiFi hotspots haven't been very plentiful where he is.

He will be along eventually. But you might also shoot him an email directly with your question.

In response to capnron's post what is a light sport aircraft?
Light Sport Aircraft are a relatively new category of smaller, lighter planes which can be operated with a new, lower class of pilot certificate called Sport Pilot. Once can exercise Sport Pilot privileges without an FAA medical certificate as long as one has a vaild driver's license and has no medical condition which would interfere with safe operation of an LSA. See http://www.sportpilot.org/ for a ton of information about LSA's and Sport Pilot certification.

Would that be the same as like a piper or something along those lines will I still be able to fly my family?
Since LSA's are limited to two seats, yes, you will, but only one at a time. ;)

Don't take Ron's comments too hard. He swings a sledge to knock dust off the mantle and criticizes folks for spilling milk. I've suggested decaf only to him but maybe that's not enough. Perhaps a regime of x-lax should be added. Sorry that he jumped on you as you learn about the FAA and FAA medical rules.
I apologize if I assumed the OP had already started flight training or at least was working with a flight school or instructor who should have known better than to send him/her to an AME without an appropriate warning briefing. If they did that, then you can transfer my approbation to them for their failure to effectively help you before you got dropped in this dirt pile.

Thanks Frankenkota flyer even if your wrong it still gives me hope. As for the direct email to doc Bruce. I am going to send it as soon as I get off work since time is not on my side right now.

Yeah, Doc Bruce is certainly the expert. Wait for his reply.

IIRC the use of hydrocodone, or any opiate pain med, is disqualifying in and of itself. The underlying condition may or may not be. And the length of time you are on the stuff and the dose will be relevant.

If you can get off it and stay off for whatever time Bruce tells you, and treat the underlying medical condition some other way, you may be able to eventually pass the class 3. My only advice would be to wait for the good Doc, and follow his instructions to the letter. Yeah, It would have been better to do all this PRIOR to applying, but what's done is done and I don't believe all is yet lost. However, since you are now denied, a driver's license medical for LSA flyng is no longer an option, so to fly at all as PIC (except for gliders, balloons, and ultralights) you will need to get that medical.

Last edited:
I was reminded of another reason that Dr. Bruce is Da Man for this situation. His primary practice before doing AME-img full time was pain management. Travis, are very far from Peoria? Bruce's office is on the field at KPIA and if your within reasonable travel distance, I would highly suggest working with Dr. Bruce directly to obtain your first issuance.

If you follow his directions and obtain every thing he asks of you for him to have when you show up for the official exam, he is one of the few in the country who will do his darnedest to get your certificate before you leave his office.

Just wanted to give a follow up to anyone who was interested in this post the good doc did reply to my email. He told me exactly what to do and indeed all is not lost. This can be fixed.
Kind of a lengthy process but hopefully in two weeks when I and my family doctor know how I respond to the injections I can start training.

Doc Bruce was out traveling and had limited internet access. However I owe him a lot he is indeed THE MAN!!!!

One can exercise Sport Pilot privileges without an FAA medical certificate as long as one has a vaild driver's license and has no medical condition which would interfere with safe operation of an LSA.

But not if the most recent application for a medical was denied. That's the clincher.

Hawkeye,

You might want to post this in the Medical Topics forum to make sure that Bruce sees it. He is probably the most valuable resource that is available to you at this point.

Hawkeye,

You might want to post this in the Medical Topics forum to make sure that Bruce sees it. He is probably the most valuable resource that is available to you at this point.

Umm... It looks like the doctor is already in the case.

Back