FAA Medical cost - International Student

SimFlyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SimFlyer
Yep, it happened... finished Instrument hours and requirements in US flying school, going for checkride paperwork review and bump.... need FAA medical before the IRA checkride.... (why the school never prepare Intl students till last minute??? Unresolved mistery, i mean, i could have gotten that in my country for a very little cost, even before traveling to US).

My question:

What are the cost/steps for Intl student(No social obviously) to get the FAA medical certificate Class 1, 2 or 3? What to do after filling the form(or before) at MedXpress, what would be your advice to initiate the process?

Id like to get the 1st class certificate since im moving fast forward to commercial BUT..... yeah.... im stuck.... AND I´ve seen some folks returning their countries to get FAA medical and returning back to the school for the checkride... Why? .... Well, i can only imagine...

Thanks for your support...

Last edited:
You apply online and go to a private AME to get a sign off on a medical. A social security number is not required for any pilots (although it is an optional box to fill out). Since AMEs are private businesses, each will have their own rates. I forgot the exact dollar amount but should be between $150-$200.

Great information Lindberg.... thanks... Thanks to all for reply.

Actually i was charged for the triple of that regular amount you mention. Dont know why, AMEs use to increase the price so so so mutch... Well, its done.... lets go for it and get back to the air....

Happy flying!

AME here. I charge in the lower end of the range with a generous discount for HS student pilots. I do it mainly to encourage aviators and keep them flying. I also have been asked to do basic med, but the cost of added insurance for me to do them would mean I have to charge upwards of $500 to cover the insurance costs alone. Everyone, especially the state and federal governments have been jacking license fees, lab fees, for those little tests the FAA requires. And then there's the FAA....

That is great Dr! Awesome!.... Even i called several AMEs and .... you know.... price were like... VFR-on-TOP LoL but found a good one at the end and i plan to visit again next time, great person as well...

Ive heard about students going back to their countries to get the FAA medical and then back to US..... hahaha weird thing, probbably they found AMEs with total cost so so overpriced that seemed like a good idea for them to touch base, visit family and return..... in any case, it is so great to hear that .....the world needs that little bit of extra sometimes.... Its quite a challenge to get it done, even more far from home and zero guidelines around...

Happy flying!

Back