FAA is starting to get the ball rolling on the Drivers License Medical

I'd like to know if he is actually speaking for the majority of CAMA members, or if this is ust his personal opinion. I wonder if the membership was polled on the issue before he sent that letter. In fact, I wonder if the membership is even aware of the letter's existence.
I would think that he speaks for the organization, but doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of the group as a whole. AOPA doesn't poll it's membership for agreement on issues they support. Membership implies support and speaks with its boots. If you have strong feelings against what your organization supports, you walk. If not, then your membership counts as support for whatever opinion they present.

How much money has CAMA bought the congressmen with? I mean donated to their campaign. Whoever bought them off gets what they want. That's how politics works.
This is something AOPA understands well, and makes good use of the AOPA PAC to put that understanding to use. I sincerely doubt CAMA has 1% the membership of AOPA or has established a PAC which gets elected officials' attention. Yes, any politician who is already opposed to this proposal (anyone seen anything like that from anyone in Congress?) will grab the CAMA letter and wave it around, but I don't see it having any real impact on what Congress actually does unless the FAA's own Aeromedical people testify to the same effect before the committees.

Last edited:
I recieved a reply from one of my reps and her letter basically said that "it hasn't come before me for a vote, so I'm not going to tell you my position on the legislation".

I recieved a reply from one of my reps and her letter basically said that "it hasn't come before me for a vote, so I'm not going to tell you my position on the legislation".

That's a better response than I got from Debbie StabMeNow when I wrote her about a GA issue, and got a stock letter back about airline security. Idiots hiring idiots, and they are the ones running our county.

That's a better response than I got from Debbie StabMeNow when I wrote her about a GA issue, and got a stock letter back about airline security. Idiots hiring idiots, and they are the ones running our county.
running ruining

That's strange. The letter I got from her yesterday said basically, if this bill comes before me for a vote, I'll keep your views in mind.

Sounds like the two letters were written by different underlings.

So you are having chest pains and you are deffering treatment because of the FAA? Yep, common sence there.
I think the quote you're referencing could use a little clarification, and maybe the words "common knowledge" would have been more appropriate. Pilots defer treatment to avoid possible issues with their medical, that's common knowledge. It's not common sense to avoid the doctor when you're having chest pains or some other ailment, and that's the argument that people are making when they say that the DL medical would actually make pilots safer in the air. A pilot could have an issue treated and make it a non-issue rather than have it manifest itself in the air and make it a statistic.

Bad news today - the AME organization is rallying against it! Cuts into their income stream....lovely. :mad2:

The president of the Civil Aviation Medical Association, the group that represents aviation medical examiners (AMEs), says doing away with the third class medical is a threat to public safety. Dr. Mark Eidson has written members of Congress urging them to vote against bills in front of both houses that would eliminate the third class medical for private pilots flying most single engine aircraft.

Isn't that the point Jay was making that got him run out of town? Of course his mistake was pinning the blame on our good (but sensitive) Dr. Bruce.

That's strange. The letter I got from her yesterday said basically, if this bill comes before me for a vote, I'll keep your views in mind.

Sounds like the two letters were written by different underlings.

I got:
"Thank you for contacting me about medical certification regulations for general aviation pilots. I understand your concerns. Senator John Boozman (R-Arkansas) introduced S.2103, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act on March 11, 2014. This bill would eliminate the third-class medical certification requirement for non-commercial, recreational pilots who fly certain small planes. This bill is pending before the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee. Although I am not a member of this committee, if this bill comes before me for a vote, I will keep your views in mind.
Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family."

So you are having chest pains and you are deffering treatment because of the FAA? Yep, common sence there.

A disingenuous leap. Post something meaningful, or move to the red board!:goofy:

Isn't that the point Jay was making that got him run out of town? Of course his mistake was pinning the blame on our good (but sensitive) Dr. Bruce.

Yeah but...
One of the AMEs here pointed out he isn't getting rich of third class medicals. And given the cost of mine I can understand his point.

So why would the AME group politicos come out against the change if there is no data to support the need for it based on few, if any, medically caused accidents in Light Sport?

What the heck is their reasonable justification? :dunno:

Somebody mentioned that AMEs sometimes find serious conditions that the pilot doesn't know about. I suspect that kind of experience might influence their thinking, and I'm not sure they're aware of how many pilots are avoiding going to the doctor because of the fear that something that isn't serious might get made into a federal case.

I think the quote you're referencing could use a little clarification, and maybe the words "common knowledge" would have been more appropriate. Pilots defer treatment to avoid possible issues with their medical, that's common knowledge. It's not common sense to avoid the doctor when you're having chest pains or some other ailment, and that's the argument that people are making when they say that the DL medical would actually make pilots safer in the air. A pilot could have an issue treated and make it a non-issue rather than have it manifest itself in the air and make it a statistic.

We all know people who do not seek treatment, most are not pilots. It part of human nature.

I got:
"Thank you for contacting me about medical certification regulations for general aviation pilots. I understand your concerns. Senator John Boozman (R-Arkansas) introduced S.2103, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act on March 11, 2014. This bill would eliminate the third-class medical certification requirement for non-commercial, recreational pilots who fly certain small planes. This bill is pending before the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee. Although I am not a member of this committee, if this bill comes before me for a vote, I will keep your views in mind.
Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family."
Yep, that's the one. Maybe Ed got an early draft, before Debbie's office knew anything about had even heard about the bill.

I just got this from my rep..... I always thought a DL /CDL vision test was close to a 3rd class one..:dunno::dunno:..

letterheadimg.jpg

April 16, 2014​

Ben Haas
Jackson, WY 83001-9379

Dear Ben:

Thank you for contacting me regarding general aviation issues. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

General aviation plays an important role in Wyoming’s economy and its communities. As a member of the House General Aviation Caucus, I continue to work with my colleagues from other rural states to protect small airports and general aviation from unnecessary government intervention.

Recently, I have heard from many members of Wyoming’s general aviation community regarding their concerns with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) medical licensing requirements for general aviation pilots. Under current FAA regulations, many general aviation pilots must hold a third class medical certificate which requires a mandatory medical examination by an FAA-designated Aviation Medical Examiner.

I am aware that Rep. Todd Rokita (R-IN) has introduced legislation to exempt certain pilots from the FAA medical licensing requirement. H.R. 3708, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act, would permit eligible pilots to use a valid drivers’ license as proof of health instead of undergoing the FAA medical certification process. Under this legislation, pilots flying small aircraft under visual flight rules, not flying for compensation, and transporting no more than five passengers, among other provisions, would be eligible for this exemption.

I understand the importance of the general aviation community in Wyoming. Years ago, I went through the process of obtaining a student pilot’s license which required a medical examination. While I appreciate individuals concerns with the current process, I have some reservations about this legislation. Specifically, my concern pertains to vision standards, which are an important aspect of flying. Standards for drivers’ license vision requirements vary from state-to-state. Since the bill applies to pilots flying under visual flight rules, I am concerned that the vision exam to obtain a drivers’ license in different states may not adhere to the same standards as the vision exam to obtain a pilot’s license.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to me. I value your input. If you haven’t done so already, I would like to encourage you to visit my website at www.lummis.house.gov. There you can sign up to receive my newsletter, and have access to a wealth of other information. I won’t flood your email box, but I will provide you with updates once in a while about activities in Washington that affect our lives in Wyoming. I hope you will sign up so that we can stay in close touch, and I look forward to seeing you in Wyoming.

Sincerely,

Cynthia M. Lummis
Member of Congress

I have a CDL and I can say for certain that the vision standards are stiffer for the DL/CDL than they are for the class 3 medical... In my case anyways.

I got:

HAHAHAHA, that's the same canned message I got from John McCain. Seems like he read my email for sure.. :-(

I just got this from my rep..... I always thought a DL /CDL vision test was close to a 3rd class one..:dunno::dunno:..

Almost...except for 3 states that is:

The testing parameter that varies least from state to state is visual acuity. All states have visual acuity requirements for licensure, and all but 3 have set the minimum best corrected visual acuity (BCVA) requirement at 20/40 in the better eye. Georgia requires a BCVA of at least 20/60 in at least one eye; for New Jersey and Wyoming the requirement is 20/50.
http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/2010/12/hlaw1-1012.html

That Web site is mistaken; it's at least four states. California has a best corrected visual acuity requirement of 20/200!

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc12805.htm

If you don't meet at least 20/40 in one eye, 20/70 in the other, and 20/40 with both eyes tested together, then they refer you to an eye doctor, and you have to take a driving test.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl14.htm

That Web site is mistaken; it's at least four states. California has a best corrected visual acuity requirement of 20/200!

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc12805.htm

If you don't meet at least 20/40 in one eye, 20/70 in the other, and 20/40 with both eyes tested together, then they refer you to an eye doctor, and you have to take a driving test.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl14.htm

Seriously?

I used to be 20/200 without lenses, and I could not see traffic lights without my glasses.

Seriously?

I used to be 20/200 without lenses, and I could not see traffic lights without my glasses.

I couldn't believe it either, the first time I saw that.

Back