FAA hosts inclusive language summit

Status
Not open for further replies.
can change names and terminology all we want. It will not change why females or minorities don’t want to be pilots.
We had 20 Naval Sea Cadets for Young Eagles a couple months ago. 9 are female, all intend to go Navy or Coast Guard, all intend to go aviation. I didn't pay attention to skin color or ethnicity. This past month, of the 36 Young Eagles (including an urban STEM high school and a girls group [because the Girl Scouts are still not allowed to fly]) at least half the high school kids were interested in some aspect of aviation as a career. Even better, one of the parents walked over to the flight school (on the other side of the building we're in) and scheduled a Discovery flight. Plus I got at least 2 potential CAP cadets. During our YE ground school I talk about careers, scholarships and other ways to learn to fly.

There's a huge gender imbalance in pilots and almost all of exposure to GA has been white, middle age/boomer gentlemen.

Nothing is stopping women or minorities from becoming pilots. What about the gender/white male imbalance of the NBA and rap music?

When your kids grow up idolizing NBA players and rappers, they are not thinking about a career in aviation, but solving the ages old mystery of what rhymes with 'orange'.

Your genitals or melanin level doesn't predict your future. The choices you make do.

Dr. King was right. And society WAS judging people by the content of their character.. until Brandon was elected.

From Jim Croce:

Like the fool I am and I'll always be
I've got a dream, I've got a dream
They can change their minds but they can't change me
I've got a dream, I've got a dream
Well, I know I can share it if you want me to
If you're going my way, I'll go with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back