FAA hiring controllers off the street

Wow. You mean I can get a job that ALMOST pays as much as a McDonald's night manager AND has one of the highest suicide rates in the country!? It sounds almost too good to be true!!! Thank you FAA!

Any qualified U.S. citizen under the age of 31 can apply for the general public air traffic controller vacancies.

Well that right there is discrimination!

I think I could handle it as the work isn't much more pressure than my current job except for the getting people killed part. :rolleyes:

One of the POA posters had a thread about becoming a controller. Might want to talk to him about what it's like. He hadn't posted since March, so it might not be so great.

And those pay levels listed are during the training part. What are the pay levels after you have qualified to perform your job?

https://employees.faa.gov/employee_services/pay_perf/pay/

2009paybands-1.jpg

2009locality.jpg

I met one of our tower controllers on Saturday. She was a controller in the USAF for 8 years, got out, went back to be a controller in Bagdad, Iraq as a civilian contractor, and when she returned, she said that she could not get hired by the FAA because I guess they have a hiring limit of 31 yrs old. (Our controllers are contracted with a firm that contracts with the FAA, apparently.) UFB.

And those pay levels listed are during the training part. What are the pay levels after you have qualified to perform your job?

For that matter, how many jobs (where getting shot at isn't part of the job description) are there where you don't have to pay up front for training let alone having them pay you anything.

The job listing says you have to be under 31, maybe if I died my hair black?

I met one of our tower controllers on Saturday. She was a controller in the USAF for 8 years, got out, went back to be a controller in Bagdad, Iraq as a civilian contractor, and when she returned, she said that she could not get hired by the FAA because I guess they have a hiring limit of 31 yrs old. (Our controllers are contracted with a firm that contracts with the FAA, apparently.) UFB.

Does anyone know who operates the contract towers? Do they have the same age restriction? I'd sure love to be a controller, but the FAA sez I'm too old. :(

For that matter, how many jobs (where getting shot at isn't part of the job description) are there where you don't have to pay up front for training let alone having them pay you anything.
Exactly.

That age restriction has been in place for a long time. I took the ATC test back when I was 28 or 29 and I knew I only had a few years left to go when I could be placed. I did get called but I turned down the interview and I knew that would be my last chance.

Does anyone know who operates the contract towers? Do they have the same age restriction? I'd sure love to be a controller, but the FAA sez I'm too old. :(

FAA contract towers don't have the age restriction, but they don't train controllers either. All of their hires are former military or FAA controllers.

Last edited:
I'm trying to switch from piloting to atc. Got through the pre testing and now I'm waiting to get called to the oklahoma city academy. My facility is indianapolis center.

How do I make the picture of places I've flown. Is one takeoff/landing enough to qualify?

I doubt anyone would pay to become a controller, as the job really doesn't sound all that good, and the management are those fine folks at the FAA, a lamer bunch I have never seen. Bad enough having to listen to them when you fly, can you imagine working for them?

Back