FAA HIMS VS FAA HIMS Psych Eval

S

SouthBayFlyer

I'm at a crossroads for my 3rd class. Because I refused a breathalyzer 7 years ago, the FAA is requiring me to go through HIMS. I met with a HIMS AME this past week, he was 50/50 on the Psych Eval.

Does anyone have any insight on this? The Psych is $2000. The FAA AME HIMS was $700 for a year plus random alcohol testing.

I'm not trying to be cheap, but It's a HUGE cost if not needed...

Thanks for your support gang!

By 50/50 I assume you mean the HIMS AME couldn't tell for sure whether the FAA would require the psych eval? If so, you might want to try another HIMS AME, such as Doc Bruce @bbchien who frequents this board (occasionally). I suspect Bruce can give you a more definitive answer. The best way to get in touch with him is via his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

So if they are requiring HIMS for a single event (non Blow), there must be other things in the documentable history that make them think you may have dependency. Usually for a single event it's a local Cert. Alcohol & disease counselor writing about five histories in DSM4 (over your lifetime).

Usually neurocognitive is NOT necessary in this situation so I'm a bit puzzled as to how you got to this point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back