FAA has requested a "letter from a HIMS AME accepting monitoring responsibility". Any recommendations?

W

warthog123

Despite being a healthy male in my 20's (now late 20's) I have been in the application process for over 2 years due to an old OCD diagnosis and associated SSRI usage. I have not taken SSRIs in many years nor sought treatment in many years since the diagnosis. Yes, I understand that in the FAA's eyes an old OCD diagnosis constitutes an "unhealthy" individual, and their viewpoint is certainly understandable, so I have been consistently submitting to their requests. So far, these have included several rounds of documentation and a psych eval, which over the aforementioned period of time has cost me a few thousand dollars.

Their latest request, and hopefully the last one before issuance, is a letter from a HIMS AME accepting monitoring responsibility. I have contacted quite a few HIMS AMEs via the list they sent (https://www.faa.gov/pilots/medical_certification/media/hims-ames.pdf) however it seems many of those individuals are not actively practicing. I have received a response from a friendly and helpful HIMS AME whom will hopefully be available to assist with this case, but in case he is unavailable I am hoping you all could recommend a friendly and professional HIMS AME to work with to fulfill the FAA's requirement. I am happy to travel just about anywhere, so location is not so important.

As an aside, I am curious as to whether you think my case will result in Special Issuance. My understanding is that SI is for individuals who are actively taking medication or have a disqualifying condition, neither of which applies to me. However, some people I have spoken (such as AOPA's medical consulting services) have suggested my case does NOT require SI, while others say it does. Additionally, the aforementioned HIMS AME who I received a reply from suggested I call the FAA to ask why a HIMS letter is needed given that I am not taking medication (though I am not exactly sure who to call, as the medical certification division usually just gives status updates to applications and does not provide insight into WHY things are being asked). If anyone knows who to call for that, that information would also be helpful.

Thank you everyone! I apologize for the lengthy post but just wanted to give some context to the current situation. Thanks again!

wh:

Approx. where are you physically located?
You can "go afar" but you will be travelling there every 6 months.....and is this a 3rd, 2nd, or a 1st class?

BC
(HIMS AME)

Last edited:
wh:

Approx. where are you physically located?
You can "go afar" but you will be travelling there every 6 months.....and is this a 3rd, 2nd, or a 1st class?

BC
(HIMS AME)
D.C. and NYC. 3rd class.

Given your comment it sounds like you think this is a case that will result in Special Issuance. If that's true, can you elaborate on why you believe that to be the case?

ALL HIMS cases are special issuances, WH.

B.
(One of the 4 original petitioners for an on SSRI program, 2006, approved 2010)

Last edited:
ALL HIMS cases are special issuances, WH.

B.
(One of the 4 original petitioners for an on SSRI program, 2006, approved 2010)
Do you believe my case qualifies for HIMS, given that it's simply an old OCD diagnosis and associated prescription history (SSRIs) and nothing more? Again, I am not actively taken medication or anything.

The HIMS AME who responded asked me to call up the FAA and ask why, exactly, my case requires HIMS monitoring, so I am interested in getting your take on this.

Also, what is "WH"?

Do you believe my case qualifies for HIMS, given that it's simply an old OCD diagnosis and associated prescription history (SSRIs) and nothing more? Again, I am not actively taken medication or anything.

The HIMS AME who responded asked me to call up the FAA and ask why, exactly, my case requires HIMS monitoring, so I am interested in getting your take on this.

Also, what is "WH"?
I'm guessing that WH is YOU (WartHog)

And if you are lucky, you might be able to enlist the services of Dr. Chien.

Also, what is "WH"?
The important thing is that the FAA certainly feels that it qualifies for HIMS. If they didn't, you'd have either been issued or denied.

However, they sent you a letter outlining a path for you to follow with a HIMS AME. This pretty much means you will be issued, so long as your HIMS AME feels, based on his observations and professional medical opinion, that you are issuable.

While the FAA claims they take many things into consideration, including the "time" component, it really does not appear that they do.

wh, the wellness standard is "normal natural health or it's equivalent as determined by the Federal Air Surgeon on best external medical advice".
Use of the SSRI is therefore not "normal natural health" and becomes a special issuance (the execptions are the "CACI" conditions).

When the SSRI protocol was adopted (I am one of the 4 who together petitioned for this), FAA knew it would involve psychiatrists. All the psychiatry and neuropscyhology assets were in the HIMS system so they put us in the HIMS system. Thus your requirement to find a HIMS AME.

All of us go to meetings (it seems constantly) to remain current as to what the Federal Air Surgeon wants to see, "from the field". So yes it's a special issuance.

Back