FAA Funding / Why are they in the news so often?

sba55

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
sba55
The FAA seems to be a topic not just in aviation circles, but even in the general news cycle a lot. Why is that?

There are plenty of other departments that have similar roles but that aren't very prominent in the evening news. Take the FHWA (Federal Highway Administration) for example. Aren't they also important? Why does nobody ever talk about them? Anyone know?

Because airplanes and their operation are a mystery to most people.

Those same people think they understand automobiles.

Because the FAA is the one with out funding and 4000 employees on involuntary leave right now

Because traffic lights are automated but ATC isn't.

The average person initially hears "The FAA is closed" and envisions the air equivalent of multiple intersecting 6 lane roads suddenly without traffic lights, signage, or traffic cops. Honestly, I'm halfway surprised they didn't furlough the controllers & shutdown a hub airport for 1 day a week for show.

Also is that the media sorta dribbled out the story. Several weeks ago it was reported the FAA wasn't funded. But that reporting was so bereft of facts that it actually left travelers wondering if the airline tickets they bought were worth anything.

Then something called "rural routing" was mentioned. Then someone correctly called it ESA but used the acronym. Then someone had to explain what E..S...A stood for. Then someone had to explain the reason for the program. You get the drift.

But the best was saved til last; it has been revealed the Fork Tongued Congress Critter is thriving.

An extension was apparently worked out last night... not sure if the Prez has signed it yet.

An extension was apparently worked out last night... not sure if the Prez has signed it yet.

Problem is that it is yet another temporary funding. Too freakin' many lobbyists involved trying to add riders here and there that no one can agree on a final product. Like everything else our government has been doing lately, this latest 'solution' is just another case of punting.

To answer the OP's question, the reason that the FAA has taken such a prime spotlight this week is because the agency has been going through several short term authorizations while lawmakers try to figure out how they are going to fund things like NextGen. Joe Public would have had zero clue that this was going on, except that the most recent funding authorization expired amidst the bigger budget fight and consequently a whole lof of employees were left in the lurch and that makes for good media stories.

Problem is that it is yet another temporary funding. Too freakin' many lobbyists involved trying to add riders here and there that no one can agree on a final product.
Agreed. I can see how EAS would come under the category of FAA funding but I don't see how union rules have anything to do with it.

I am not aware of another government agency that has gone without funding due to Congressional leave. If my knowledge base is deficient, I would be happy to have it rectified.

Because the FAA is the one with out funding and 4000 employees on involuntary leave right now

Who will get all their back pay for NOT working, unlike the private sector where furloghed workers are SOL. They can stay on leave as far as I am concerned.

Who exactly got furloughed, anyway? ATC is still working, and the only thing I've seen stopped were the guys at Oshkosh.

A whole bunch of admin/support guys (4000). Worse were the "Stop work" orders on construction contracts across the country. They'll all be (more) over budget now, because it costs time (which equals money) to stop and start projects in the middle.

Back