FAA currency or lack there of

Crane Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
crane pilot
Ok i have a question or a poll i guess. As we all know there are , unless you live in fantasy land, some pilots more likely owner pilots, hobbiest no offense meant, that do not maintain their currency , medical, or even their annuals on their aircraft as required cause they only fly once every few weekends. What are your ideas on how to make these pilots more responsible owners and pilots which would in turn make them safer for the collective good, to keep others safe around them.The FAA wings program is a really nice program to learn and it has some benifits , but like the ol saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink.now dont get me wrong im not saying all owner pilots are bad but there are bad apples in everything in life.As a newish student pilot again, but been around aviation for a long time, i would like to maybe help do something positive in it besides being not just an aviator but an aircraft pilot. I would just like to be confident that the person in the aircraft behind me in the pattern or in front of me on the runway is as concerned about being safe, current and proficient as i am so we can all go home safely.

First let me state that I don't believe in the collective good but beyond that as my instructor used to say, "fly your own airplane." You can never account for another persons skill, training, or willingness to follow the rules.

It is a fallacy to think you can force anyone to do anything. After all they are already breaking the rules. So sorry not to burst your bubble or good intentions but I think this is wishful thinking. Most people most of the time will do the right thing. You are more likely to be killed because someone (or you) simply screwed up because they are human than because some guy didn't have a medical or an annual.

It's not enough of a percentage for it to be a problem.

Aside from not flying with those people, unless they are taking strangers up or something like that, I'd just mind my own and be the change you want to see in the world. :dunno:

I don't see statistics showing these folks falling out of the sky. I don't think it is an issue. At all.

You can't worry about other pilots,who may be flying in the airspace with you. You can only strive to be the best pilot you can be. then you will be prepared for any actions that may present themselves.

You can't worry about other pilots,who may be flying in the airspace with you. You can only strive to be the best pilot you can be. then you will be prepared for any actions that may present themselves.

It's like anything in life, you can't control or regulate everything to guarantee safety. You can only do what's under your control. Anyone who rides motorcycles know you have to watch out for cars, not put yourself in situations that pose a greater risk and always be diligent in paying attention. Same in planes, watch the other traffic assuming they don't see you... don't assume just because you're in the pattern, have flight following or in controlled airspace that you're safe and clear from traffic. Plenty that YOU can do to improve your skills, so you won't have time to worry about other people improving theirs.

"fly your own airplane." You can never account for another persons skill, training, or willingness to follow the rules.

It's not enough of a percentage for it to be a problem.

I don't see statistics showing these folks falling out of the sky.

You can't worry about other pilots,who may be flying in the airspace with you.

You can only do what's under your control...Plenty that YOU can do to improve your skills, so you won't have time to worry about other people improving theirs.

Problem with these statements is that these folks are sharing our airspace, flying over people's homes, and taking unwitting passengers. Ever accident hurts us all. If we can't regulate ourselves, there is always more that Congress can thrust upon the FAA to step up regulation.

The prevailing philosophy of many in the FAA these days is emphasizing better and more frequent recurrent training. I expect to see flight reviews become PTS based, like IPCs. I also expect to see IPCs become required, and on a periodic basis, like flight reviews. And finally, expect to see your CFIs log flight reviews and IPCs into IACRA, so it's easier to figure out who's current and who's not.

Ok i have a question or a poll i guess. As we all know there are , unless you live in fantasy land, some pilots more likely owner pilots, hobbiest no offense meant, that do not maintain their currency , medical, or even their annuals on their aircraft as required cause they only fly once every few weekends. What are your ideas on how to make these pilots more responsible owners and pilots which would in turn make them safer for the collective good, to keep others safe around them.

Don't worry about it. The government has it under control. Their regulations will soon keep everyone safely on the ground.

I have my hands full learning how to be the best pilot I can be. Unless I see someone doing something stupid my attention will be focused on my own problems.

I think your heart is probably in the right place, but imo the pilot universe is already at saturation level for people getting all up in other people's business. Be the change you want to see in the world. Own your own issues.

Problem with these statements is that these folks are sharing our airspace, flying over people's homes, and taking unwitting passengers. Ever accident hurts us all. If we can't regulate ourselves, there is always more that Congress can thrust upon the FAA to step up regulation.

The prevailing philosophy of many in the FAA these days is emphasizing better and more frequent recurrent training. I expect to see flight reviews become PTS based, like IPCs. I also expect to see IPCs become required, and on a periodic basis, like flight reviews. And finally, expect to see your CFIs log flight reviews and IPCs into IACRA, so it's easier to figure out who's current and who's not.

I find the people who are worried about sharing airspace with others are typically the inept pilots projecting their fears of incompetence on others.

"Collective good" is a fallacy made up to strip away freedoms due to others' ineptitude. Leave me alone. If someone wants to assume the legal, safety, and personal risk associated with breaking FAR's, let them CHOOSE TO serve as examples for the rest of us who heed the FAR's, legal, and safety aspects of aviation (and anything else for that matter!).

I find the people who are worried about sharing airspace with others are typically the inept pilots projecting their fears of incompetence on others.

Yup.

Also seems like our system works, and has been working, very well.

"Collective good" is a fallacy made up to strip away freedoms due to others' ineptitude. Leave me alone. If someone wants to assume the legal, safety, and personal risk associated with breaking FAR's, let them CHOOSE TO serve as examples for the rest of us who heed the FAR's, legal, and safety aspects of aviation (and anything else for that matter!).

Bingo

You want more regulations, go fly in Europe or China, I'll keep my airspace the way it is. Also the guys who are flying without medicals or annuals, guess what, they still will be :yes:

How about this, I personally feel that unless you have about 500hrs tailwheel or glider time, hold a ATP and have over 2500hrs, that you're a dangerious pilot and should be forced to have a $90hr ATP/CFI with you at all times. :rolleyes2:

I mean if you want to get silly let's go there

Problem with these statements is that these folks are sharing our airspace, flying over people's homes, and taking unwitting passengers. Ever accident hurts us all.

So, is this to imply that everyone commonly crashed --- especially into peoples' homes and Things within Our Airspace and TO our passengers prior to 1974?

If we can't regulate ourselves, there is always more that Congress can thrust upon the FAA to step up regulation.
BTDT ===> see 14CFR61.56 (part of which was to ensure that people had reviewed laws and regs and enhanced their training and was up to date on the logging and medicals and associated bureaucratic check-boxes ==> none of this federal check folderol existing prior to 1974)

[Your concern isn't logical, even if it is practical]

Go out in your car this afternoon and drive around for 30 mins. Count the number of people speeding, not using turn signals, rolling through stop signs, texting and driving ect. You can't control them, no amount of extra imposed governmental regulation or forced training is going to make them better drivers. All you can do is identify the risk and steer clear of it.

I'm not sure I buy the theory that all "common good" regulation is misplaced (sorry, I do appreciate that restaurants are inspected for health violations, that people using sizzors on my head are licensed, and yes, even that pilots are trained to certain standards and licensed.

But there definitely a strain floating around that leads folks to think that their "good ideas" should be the stuff of regulation without much in the way of data to support their, for want of a better term, "solution in search of a problem."

If I can make it past all the idiots on the road and make it to the airport alive, I breathe a giant sigh of relief. I'd say your concern is misplaced.:yikes:

I'm not sure I buy the theory that all "common good" regulation is misplaced (sorry, I do appreciate that restaurants are inspected for health violations, that people using sizzors on my head are licensed, and yes, even that pilots are trained to certain standards and licensed.

But there definitely a strain floating around that leads folks to think that their "good ideas" should be the stuff of regulation without much in the way of data to support their, for want of a better term, "solution in search of a problem."

Common Good regulation is indeed needed in some applications. However the use should be very restricted to those functions where the regulation meets a true demand, AND is enforceable/enforced.

For the most part though, none of these conditions exist, and those regulations dilute respect for all regulation. In the end, people have to choose to do the right thing on their own. You can encourage and inspire them to make the choice to good effect, however punishment doesn't really appear successful given our incarceration rate. We still as a society have the desire to "break people to our will.", we are still a society based in slave ethic.

I'll bet everyone who hangs around the local airport knows at least one pilot or owner there who is probably knowingly (or through blatant ignorance) violating one of more regulations/requirements, or has done the absolute minimum to maintain currency.

The best advice I can suggest is don't be that pilot/owner. You will never convince those who think "rules are for others" otherwise.

I see the "common good " idea being thrown around as a negative. I only meant it as for the ga community as a whole. Every crash that a ga aircraft has hurts us all weather you think it does or not. NTSB crash reports make it to washington as well as local and state law makers. Now im not saying that all crashes are due to a illegal in some way pilot. Im also not saying we need more laws more regulations , i think they are fine the way they are . Just remember as in drunk driving accidents there is usually more than one person affected by their crash. Maybe i was a little disilussioned by the fact that ga pilots were or would be a little more responsible for what they enjoy doing than the responses i have gotten in this thread. All i can say is i will never be a negative statistic while i have my pilots licence ,except for being called opinionated and outspoken where currency and safety is concerned , i will always strive to go above and beyond what is needed. Flying is a privilege not a right, for those of yall that say it isn't your business i hope the next accident does'nt involve you or your loved ones , and for the professional pilots that dont share my ideals , why do you think the ATP licence is where its at now with the hour requirements. JMHO

.... All i can say is i will never be a negative statistic while i have my pilots licence ,except for being called opinionated and outspoken where currency and safety is concerned , i will always strive to go above and beyond what is needed.....

That's the best any of us can do. A good example and polite but pointed word or 2 to someone you know is out of regs is all that should be necessary. If you want to be a policeman for the world, you gotta have a big, big badge!

If you know of any of these people, then I expect that you have spoken up. If you don't, then it strikes me that you're setting up a straw man just so you can run it down.

Either way - I'm not in the business of telling other people how to live their lives. I occasionally read an NTSB report where someone was out of spec on the regulations, but it doesn't happen often.

Statistically, there's a higher chance of a pilot falling on your house during a thunderstorm, at night or during icing conditions than what you're describing. If you must crusade, pick the bigger target.

Back