FAA correspondence timing

OregonDucks609

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
OregonDucks609
Hi everybody - I had my exam on 12/1 with my AME where I was deferred. It says here on the portal (screenshot below) that the review was completed on 12/23 and that the letter is usually mailed out within three business days of completing the review. Just wanted to hear from this group on how quickly the letters usually get mailed out and how long it takes to get to you. Also, do you know what kind of USPS mailing it is? I just want to make sure I'm all over it in case it gets lost somehow (that would be my luck!). I know it was during the holidays, so I'm not too concerned yet (three business days would have it going out on 12/29 and then there was another holiday in there), but I'm just hoping to get a little bit of insight on what to expect. Thanks!

upload_2023-1-4_15-38-15.png

Chill. Nothing happens fast with the Federal Government. That includes the US Postal Service. Holiday season is a real problem with the USPS. And all the delivery companies.

A letter was mailed to me on Dec 2, 2022, confirmed by the sender. It still hasn't shown up. Fortunately, I called the sender, they cancelled it (a check) and on Dec 28 resent by FedEx (which I hate) and it showed up on Dec 30 (but the idiot delivery driver screwed up so I didn't get it until yesterday).

Last edited:
The last letter I got arrived 22 days after is was dated. I called my regional flight surgeon’s office and they actually emailed a copy so I could get a jump on whatever they were asking me to provide. It only took 10 minutes.

The last letter I got arrived 22 days after is was dated. I called my regional flight surgeon’s office and they actually emailed a copy so I could get a jump on whatever they were asking me to provide. It only took 10 minutes.

Incredibly helpful. Thank you! I just gave them a call and got unusually helpful people at the FAA. Regional office advised I had to call Oklahoma presumably because my case is relatively complex, but he gave me a number and extension where I reached a very helpful person in Oklahoma after only a brief hold who is going to check and see if she can email me. Really appreciate the help.

Glad to help. It’s a shame but you really have to react almost immediately when they send you a letter requesting something. Good luck and don’t be shy about calling your RFS when you need to stay ahead of OKC. They were always very helpful.

Update: she emailed me the letter within an hour. Impressive. Now on to my newest thread asking for help on formats for these requests!

You can PM me if you have any questions. I just went through a year long complex
Medical myself.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back