FAA can't require drones to be registered?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
This is good news for R/C hobbyists, who have never been a problem. What's interesting is that the "model aircraft" definition mentions "line of sight", meaning that the FAA does have the authority to regulate FPV drones (with cameras) that can be flown beyond line of sight, and that's good news for full scale airplane pilots.

Last edited:
sigh.... It took me the better part of two months to get my FAA number on all my RC planes.
Are they going to refund my $5.00?

sigh.... It took me the better part of two months to get my FAA number on all my RC planes.

Send then an invoice...plus lost interest...

Probably so...eventually. Knowing they would probably get sued and loose, the registration money has been set aside.

Because they are "model aircraft".

I think this ruling stops FAA from requiring the $5 registration on drones. But I'm not a lawyer.

Just came down from the US Court of Appeals:

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/inter...20585258125004FBC13/$file/15-1495-1675918.pdf

CNN says it doesn't apply to "commercial drones".

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/19/technology/drone-registration-faa/

I stopped reading right after "CNN says..." That is on par with, "According to the Lochness Monster..."

I stopped reading right after "CNN says..." That is on par with, "According to the Lochness Monster..."
At least he didn't say "Fox News says," or "MSNBC says"!

Always a good day when jackbooted bureaucrats on a power trip get rekt. :D

Ok, here comes a "jackbooted" comment...exaggerate much?

I'm against more government in any form, but when people compare ANY regulation to Nazis, I don't think they realize what they are saying...

Ok, here comes a "jackbooted" comment...exaggerate much?

I'm against more government in any form, but when people compare ANY regulation to Nazis, I don't think they realize what they are saying...

I was being facetious :D

Back