FAA Best practices; unmothballing a/c

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Does the FAA have an AC or such on things to look at on a/c that have been out of service for years?
I have my list of ToDo-s, am open to theirs (or anyone else's) too.

C150

Does the FAA have an AC or such on things to look at on a/c that have been out of service for years?
How was the plane stored? How long has it been out of service? As far as the engine goes if it has been years since it has been started I would not turn the prop or try to start without bore scoping the engine. Pulling cylinders, honing and installing new rings is what I would do.

I have already scoped the engine, zero corrosion and plainly visible crosshatching on the barrels.
I was thinking more airframe than engine.

Well all the major parts should be present...

C150, I wouldn't be worried about the engine. Take off the headliner and check the spar carrythrough for corrosion. If you find any - walk away. See how badly the fuel tank cover screws are corroded (they are structural so A&P only to reinstall). It's a simple airframe, not much to go bad when it stands.

When I reassembled the airplane a decade ago I cleaned, inspected and preserved the carry throughs and blocks...but I will look at everything.

Yes the airplane has to meet airworthy standards per the annual inspection process.

Lycoming has docs on storing the engine. They're pretty generic and should work for any engine.

Other than that, I'd drain the fuel (OUTSIDE) and possibly remove the battery. Then all you have to do is worrying about keeping critters out of it. If you use your plane heavily, now is the time to give it a good interior cleaning.

Another thing to look at on the 150 is the contents of the fuel tanks. I would reccomend, removal, and draining completely, bone dry. then re-install with new hoses. This comes from experience. Please trust me on this. PM for more info.

I'd replace all the engine hoses with the fancy brown internal fire sleeve ones. 10 years is about the life of a hose.

Back