FAA bans certain Macbook Pros over fire risk concerns

rk911

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rk911
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/faa-bans-certain-macbook-pros-fire-risk-concerns

Better double check, frequent flyers.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has banned Apple’s 15-inch Macbook Pro laptops sold between September 2015 and February 2017 over concerns that some of the computers feature batteries that may pose a fire risk.

The new rule applies to both checked or carry-on bags, USA Today reports.

"The FAA is aware of the recalled batteries that are used in some Apple MacBook Pro laptops," a spokesperson for the civil aviation agency told the outlet. "In early July, we alerted airlines about the recall, and we informed the public. We issued reminders to continue to follow instructions about recalls."

In June, the tech giant recalled the ever-popular 15-inch Macbook Pro released during the 17-month time frame over concerns that the batteries in some of the units may overheat and spark a fire.

The affected laptops can be identified by their serial number, Apple said at the time. That information can be gleaned from selecting "About This Mac" on the Apple Menu in the upper-left corner of the user's screen.

I'd be useless without my MacBook! Good thing mine is older than the dates listed and I'm about to get one newer than the dates listed.

Apple has a recall on these computers to replace the battery. Wanna bet the FAA is never going to lift that ban?

Of course...how would they know?

wondering how TSA is going to check this. Are they going to open each laptop, click on the Mac Menu->About this Mac?

I have one of those. Good thing it hasn't caught fire yet.

Oh... this won't end well!
rIUFzW7.jpg

EDIT: It seems from what I'm reading from Apple's recall page, its only the 2015 model! They usually have leftover parts in the parts bin and probably continued to manufacture the 2015 model until say 2017 (The same reason why you could occasionally buy and iPhone 5s while the iPhone 6 was out). Not sure if the FAA is banning any MacBook Pro year model 2015-2017 or if they are just banning the 2015 model manufactured between 2015-2017

An interesting snippet from a person who does board-level repair on a ton of mac laptops and his opinion

I have a box from Apple so I can ship mine back. It was one on the affected ones. I'm procrastinating sending it back because then I'm stuck with my HP PC.

I was frustrated with PC problems so in 2015 my wife took me to the closest Apple store, which was 150 miles away, & made me buy this MacBook Pro. It's been the best computer I've ever owned. Okay, she was right this time.

Back