FAA and VA Data Sharing

I have no idea about the liability, yes that's a lawyer question, but even if I do get the doctor to correct it, getting the correction to cascade through all the insurance company databases, and other doctors that got my records, and third party databases out there is next to impossible. I highly doubt the front office is going to bother sending the correction out to everyone and even if they do, that it will update all the servers that contain my health info.

The problem can be very damaging. I'm trying to buy long term care insurance now. That diagnosis could disqualify me or result in higher premiums.
It is in your own interest to correct it.
I have had to do some of that.
Also insurance databases have less info than you think. They track billing when you are a customer when you switch companies nothing gets transferred unless your doctor passes it on.

Good luck,

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Of the three conditions necessary for a private individual to be defamed, the only one that seems that it might apply is:

and I question whether it does apply, because the kind of statement we're discussing was made as provisional and then simply not retracted. I wonder if anyone has ever been held liable for a statement like that.

If I were the judge, it might depend on how it was worded in the medical records. I would make a distinction between a record that said "diabetes," for example, and one that said "possible diabetes."

Is neglecting to retract a false statement when its falsity becomes known the same thing as knowingly or negligently making that false statement?

In a just world, I would say yes. Of course, we know that we don't live in a just world, but SOME injustices do get corrected. Furthermore, although I'm not qualified to say what the law is, no qualifications are required to advocate for what the law ought to be. Allowing a false assertion to go uncorrected after it was pointed out that it has real-world consequences for the patient ought to be sufficient to establish that negligent libel has occurred.

But beyond that, from the definition of "defamation" in that article, I question whether the courts would hold that applying a false diagnosis to a person amounted to defamation, unless (maybe) the diagnosis was one that in the wider culture was associated with some character defect, like alcoholism or sexual deviancy. But something that simply made one ineligible to hold an FAA medical certificate, and especially if the person was not a revenue pilot?

But, of course, IANAL. It would be interesting to know what the legal experts here say.
If I were king, the fact that it resulted in the patient being denied a freedom that others have, and a freedom that the patient would have had were it not for the negligence of allowing the misinformation to stand after being informed about it, would be sufficient to establish that defamation had occurred. And I don't think that legal remedies should only be available to people whose revenue is affected. For example, I haven't seen anything in the Bill of Rights that says those rights only apply when people are using them to make money.

I have no idea about the liability, yes that's a lawyer question, but even if I do get the doctor to correct it, getting the correction to cascade through all the insurance company databases, and other doctors that got my records, and third party databases out there is next to impossible. I highly doubt the front office is going to bother sending the correction out to everyone and even if they do, that it will update all the servers that contain my health info.

The problem can be very damaging. I'm trying to buy long term care insurance now. That diagnosis could disqualify me or result in higher premiums.

In my opinion, a just legal system would impose the same duty to correct false statements on those who merely pass them along as on those who originate them. Once a person/company/etc. has been informed of the error and the possible consequences to the victim of the misinformation, whether or not it originated with that entity ought not to be a factor in determining whether allowing it to stand was negligent. However, in the aviation context, it would probably be more practical to present evidence that the examining physician had corrected the diagnosis, and to make that binding on the FAA. Maybe that would be a topic for the next iteration of the Pilot's Bill of Rights, if there is one.

People should be able to challenge and correct medical records the same way we do for credit reports.
If you're talking about anything outside the government, HIPAA does give you some amount to at least annotate the record.

As far as the FAA, getting an incorrect diagnosis removed is difficult but not impossible. I went through an extended slog when I had a false positive on a test that my turd AME screwed up and deferred and it took me a while to get the FAA to actually read the physician reports that say "yeah, he tested positive but we've further investigated and he doesn't have it." I was on a SI for a couple of years before my new AME wrote the FAA and essentially called their diagnosis "********" (he put that in writing int he letter). I got a letter back finally saying, "OK, we agree you don't have X. If you ever do get X, stop flying and notify us." (Not that there's any statistical reason that I would be likely to develop X than the general population, the FAA can never fully concede that they were wrong).

I don't even note it on the applications anymore (not even PRNC). It hasn't been an issue (and I figure the FAA has the full history in my file somewhere which despite a request to have sent me, I have yet to receive).

In my opinion, a just legal system would impose the same duty to correct false statements on those who merely pass them along as on those who originate them.
Oi, that would be something. Every single person would have to personally verify every piece of information every single time. Sending a single email would require perhaps weeks or months of research.

I think it is safe to assume they have access to everything, whether obtained legally or not.

If I'm recalling this correctly (and if I'm not please please feel free to correct me) the case to which you're referring went all the way to the SCOTUS, who found for the government. That effectively makes it legal. We may not like it, but that's just what it is.

Illegally obtained evidence may possibly be excluded for criminal prosecutions, but that doesn't change the underlying "fact" if they find that you are ineligible to hold a certificate (rules of evidence do not apply).

If I'm recalling this correctly (and if I'm not please please feel free to correct me) the case to which you're referring went all the way to the SCOTUS, who found for the government. That effectively makes it legal. We may not like it, but that's just what it is.
I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. The Supreme Court finding for the government was only about damages and the fact that I had not claimed pecuniary loss; it wasn't about the illegality of the database match. The decision that the match was illegal was made at the district court level and was not challenged by the Ninth Circuit nor the Supreme Court. The district court found that the government violated the privacy act multiple times during the Operation Safe Pilot investigation, but because there was a circuit court split over whether the term "actual damage" in the privacy act included proven mental and emotional distress or was limited to pecuniary damage, and the 9th Circuit hadn't ruled on the issue, the judge felt he had to rule for the government in awarding damages because of the doctrine of sovereign immunity.

The agencies essentially admitted they had violated the law in congressional testimony on July 17, 2007 (three years after the OSP database match), when the FAA said that "In order to proceed with cross-checking applicants for airman medical certificates against the SSA disability database, or any other database, FAA must first revise the system of records notice for FAA’s “Aviation Records on Individuals” to permit disclosure of the records through a routine use. This will require publishing a notice of the revised system of records in the Federal Register, and a period for public comments, before the records may be disclosed, and FAA can begin any cross-checking. This process may take six to twelve months to complete."

Oi, that would be something. Every single person would have to personally verify every piece of information every single time. Sending a single email would require perhaps weeks or months of research.
I was proposing a duty that would only exist once the person had been informed and given evidence of the error. I'm not saying that they should have a duty to determine the veracity of the information for themselves.

I was proposing a duty that would only exist once the person had been informed and given evidence of the error. I'm not saying that they should have a duty to determine the veracity of the information for themselves.
That's sorta the same thing. Without verifying, how would they know whether the "evidence" is valid or not. Big can o' worms.

That's sorta the same thing. Without verifying, how would they know whether the "evidence" is valid or not. Big can o' worms.
If the correction came from the same source as the original information, there wouldn't be much justification for trusting the original diagnosis from a particular source, and then not trusting a correction from that same source.

Furthermore, the goal would be to avoid being judged negligent in the matter, not to achieve absolute certainty as to the facts.

Last edited:
If someone puts something false in your medical record and it causes problems for you, I wonder if that counts as libel?

Maybe. All you have to do is convince a judge to deny the SJ on the likely affirmative defense of qualified privilege, convince 6 jurors, and then defend the judgment on appeal.

If you don't pay, they turn your account over to a collection agency and the end result is, you will be forced to pay, the bill plus a late penalty, possibly plus court costs if it comes to that.
Nah. The debt collector buys the debt from the provider for pennies on the dollar. When you get the collection letter, just call them and cut a deal for less than the original amount owed.

Nah. The debt collector buys the debt from the provider for pennies on the dollar. When you get the collection letter, just call them and cut a deal for less than the original amount owed.

However if you don't call them and cut a deal then all she said applies and they will also have your employer garnish your wages. Just saw that happen to someone.

Or ten minutes, with blockchain technology.

Maybe. All you have to do is convince a judge to deny the SJ on the likely affirmative defense of qualified privilege, convince 6 jurors, and then defend the judgment on appeal.
SJ?

However if you don't call them and cut a deal then all she said applies and they will also have your employer garnish your wages. Just saw that happen to someone.

They give you a lot of rope though. And it depends on the amount at stake. The last thing they want to do is spend $10,000.00 to collect a $2000.00 debt. That's why they have their bank of callers hounding you at $15.00/hr to chase thousands of debts than to pay an attorney $200.00/hr to chase a singe debt.

They give you a lot of rope though. And it depends on the amount at stake. The last thing they want to do is spend $10,000.00 to collect a $2000.00 debt. That's why they have their bank of callers hounding you at $15.00/hr to chase thousands of debts than to pay an attorney $200.00/hr to chase a singe debt.

That's right. And why it's best to work with them and pay.

Reagrding the semantincs of VA disability ratings. The problem is how they're taken to the extreme, and you end up with airline pilots being compensated for a 90% disability rating, still are able to hold a class I medical and make 250K flying airliners around, while a cat with amputations has to make due with 60, or another airline guy loses his airline job over eye cancer and VA gives him 30 for the eye. The retort of course, if you follow the thread on APC about this very topic, is that disability rating does not equal degree physical impairment. Technically true, but absolutely morally abhorrent to me an argument to make, as a servicemember myself.

To the prior poster's question, the answer is: 'cuz they can. Human self-interest will always rule the day. Greed, Hate the game not the playa, pick your platitude. I choose to leave some money on the table in life over principles. That is my prerogative. If I were king I'd means-test the Sh@t out of VA disability payments. These airline guys know what side their bread is buttered on. Very few would actually balk at lifetime incomes on the airline career over the opportunity cost of a hypothetical say 50% reduction on their existing VA rating payment. I digress.

The agencies essentially admitted they had violated the law in congressional testimony on July 17, 2007 (three years after the OSP database match), when the FAA said that "In order to proceed with cross-checking applicants for airman medical certificates against the SSA disability database, or any other database, FAA must first revise the system of records notice for FAA’s “Aviation Records on Individuals” to permit disclosure of the records through a routine use. This will require publishing a notice of the revised system of records in the Federal Register, and a period for public comments, before the records may be disclosed, and FAA can begin any cross-checking. This process may take six to twelve months to complete."
You're living in the past, Stan. The last admin, was trying to coalesce all the databases into one huge database. Then Viola! No sharing issues. I doubt it will get anywhere....but since the Fed. Admins now has a single Central I.T office in Arlington VA, how hard can it be?

You're living in the past, Stan. The last admin, was trying to coalesce all the databases into one huge database. Then Viola! No sharing issues. I doubt it will get anywhere....but since the Fed. Admins now has a single Central I.T office in Arlington VA, how hard can it be?
Bruce, it's certainly not a difficult technical challenge, and hasn't been for decades. That is precisely why the bipartisan Privacy Act of 1974 was codified; it was to prevent the kind of unbridled data sharing of information about individuals among government agencies that was used to target political opponents, specifically Richard Nixon's use of agencies to amalgamate embarrassing information about people on his "enemies list" and then threatening them with blackmail unless they stopped being critical of the president's policies.

The 2012 Supreme Court decision in FAA v. Cooper (SCOTUS 10-1024), decided along the all too familiar party lines, eviscerated the privacy act.

Bruce, it's certainly not a difficult technical challenge, and hasn't been for decades. That is precisely why the bipartisan Privacy Act of 1974 was codified; it was to prevent the kind of unbridled data sharing of information about individuals among government agencies that was used to target political opponents, specifically Richard Nixon's use of agencies to amalgamate embarrassing information about people on his "enemies list" and then threatening them with blackmail unless they stopped being critical of the president's policies.

The 2012 Supreme Court decision in FAA v. Cooper (SCOTUS 10-1024), decided along the all too familiar party lines, eviscerated the privacy act.
Not sure it was as partisan as you make it out to be.
https://www.oyez.org/cases/2011/10-1024

In either case, back in roughly 2010 my company was a team member bidding on a central data project for Federal Civilian agencies. Our team did not win, but the project did move forward. If you ever visit data.gov this is the public side of the project. The private side is up and working and actually was one of the primary systems used to "clean" up data related to eVerify. (As a federal contractor we had to use eVerify and it took years for the Feds to get the data to the point where we could trust it)

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Not sure it was as partisan as you make it out to be.
https://www.oyez.org/cases/2011/10-1024
The Court's Opinion was written by Justice Alito, and was joined by Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Kennedy (all appointed by Republican presidents).

The Dissent was written by Justice Sotomayor, joined by Justices Ginsburg and Breyer (all appointed by Democratic presidents). Justice Kagan recused, presumably because she was Obama's Solicitor General when my case was before the Ninth Circuit.

The Court's Opinion was written by Justice Alito, and was joined by Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Kennedy (all appointed by Republican presidents).

The Dissent was written by Justice Sotomayor, joined by Justices Ginsburg and Breyer (all appointed by Democratic presidents). Justice Kagan recused, presumably because she was Obama's Solicitor General when my case was before the Ninth Circuit.

Assuming you read the opinion of both the majority and the dissent :D
It was based on differences in judicial philosophy, which has to some degree aligned with both parties. However, unlike some other SCOTUS decisions which no matter how you try and look at it, were straight partisan and had no basis in judicial philosophy unless you are a contortionist.

Tim

What it was really about was the definition of "actual damage", which Black's law dictionary has defined for decades as "proven, not presumed" without mention of pecuniary loss. There was no debate over whether the government agencies had violated the privacy act multiple times during the Operation Safe Pilot investigation, that I had provided triable evidence that the violations were willful and intentional, and that I had suffered an adverse effect; the district court ruled that the agencies clearly violated the law. It is clear from the legislative history of the act, that congress had intended actual damage to include proven embarrassment and mental and emotional distress since in the vast majority of privacy act cases that is the only damage. The majority's argument was focused very narrowly on the fact that congress had not explicitly waived sovereign immunity in the privacy act, an oversight that Senator Daniel Akaka (D-HI) tried to rectify after the SCOTUS decision with a proposed amendment to the privacy act specifically including mental and emotional distress in the act's definition of actual damage. The amendment was filibustered by the Republicans.

The decision was partisan; no contortion required.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back