FAA and safety seminar misinformation

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Well, I was supposed to go to Volk ANGB on Saturday to go to the latest safety seminar there. It used to be an FAA safety seminar, but for whatever reason the FAA didn't do it, so the Wisconsin Dept. of Aeronautics did. That should be a good thing, because it's always well-attended (when else are you allowed to fly your bird into a military facility?) but my CFI called me today to tell me I didn't miss much. (I got stuck at Georgia Pacific in Cedar Springs, GA for 16 1/2 hours Thursday into Friday. :mad:)

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that one of the speakers was a guy who teaches aviation at Fox Valley Tech and he is consistently full of crap. I saw him last time too, and among other things he said that someone who was not complex-endorsed could not log PIC in a complex airplane even if properly rated in category and class. Typical hand-me-down misconception.

Among the gems he spewed out this time, according to my CFI: That it's OK to take the ILS down to 100 feet without seeing anything, that a safety pilot can log actual instrument time if IMC is encountered (despite not manipulating the controls at all), and more. It was bad enough that after listening for a bit, my CFI pulled his other two students who were attending out of the session and explained the proper rules and to not listen to this guy.

Folks, he was supposed to be educating pilots about the regulations (I forget the actual name of his session, but the regs were his gig) at a safety seminar, and he's teaching the next generation of CFI's the same things during his day job. No wonder OWT's persist!!! And this time, it sounds like things got worse than just OWT's and into outright falsehoods.

Is there any way to get the FSDO on this guy's tail? In general, shouldn't somebody from the FAA be overseeing these so-called safety seminars to be sure there is a positive effect on safety? Getting a bunch of pilots to listen to an "expert" like this cannot have a positive impact on GA. :mad:

Yes, there is -- contact the FSDO and tell them exactly what you wrote here. Make sure you can either document his statements (say, from his briefing slides) or provide corroboration (statements of other people who attended). They'll take it from there.

Back