FAA 2nd Class Medical Issued after Distant Vision less than 20/20 per eye

A

Anonymous

Last year medical was perfect. No vision issues. The one before that I had better than 20/20.

This time around I was up all night on the computer and decided to head into the exam without any real concern, as, usually your distant vision adjusts and clears up after looking outside for a while after staring at your phone for hours on end etc.

I should mention this was done with a machine that had those Landolt C circles instead of shapes or letters. So from what I can recall when I glanced I saw that the nurse assistant recorded 20/20 for distant vision in both eyes. However, when each eye was tested individually, I know I had managed to read one or two lines worse. Near sighted was perfect, rest of the vision test in all other areas was perfect. Nothing was said and we moved on. Whilst waiting in the exam room I saw that the requirement is 20/20 in each eye for distant vision. Kind of had me sweating. I sort of just met up with the AME after and everything went without issue and it wasn't mention. I was given my 2nd class without limitations and went home.

I sort of want to know if what was written down by the nurse assistant ends up on some final report. I don't know what had been written down for each eye individually. Or what gets submitted by the AME. I feel that personally should the need arise I can definitely spend some time doing some eye exercises while minimizing screen time and pass the 20/20 requirement in each eye so it's not like there is an actual issue that got skirted.

I don't want to instigate this and start asking around. I just also don't want the ball to get dropped and end up having to endure having the FAA possibly boomerang around and land me with something on my record that has to get cleared up.

Anyone with experience know if I should just take this as a lesson and be ready for next years test or if I should take additional steps?

Last year medical was perfect. No vision issues. The one before that I had better than 20/20.

This time around I was up all night on the computer and decided to head into the exam without any real concern, as, usually your distant vision adjusts and clears up after looking outside for a while after staring at your phone for hours on end etc.

I should mention this was done with a machine that had those Landolt C circles instead of shapes or letters. So from what I can recall when I glanced I saw that the nurse assistant recorded 20/20 for distant vision in both eyes. However, when each eye was tested individually, I know I had managed to read one or two lines worse. Near sighted was perfect, rest of the vision test in all other areas was perfect. Nothing was said and we moved on. Whilst waiting in the exam room I saw that the requirement is 20/20 in each eye for distant vision. Kind of had me sweating. I sort of just met up with the AME after and everything went without issue and it wasn't mention. I was given my 2nd class without limitations and went home.

I sort of want to know if what was written down by the nurse assistant ends up on some final report. I don't know what had been written down for each eye individually. Or what gets submitted by the AME. I feel that personally should the need arise I can definitely spend some time doing some eye exercises while minimizing screen time and pass the 20/20 requirement in each eye so it's not like there is an actual issue that got skirted.

I don't want to instigate this and start asking around. I just also don't want the ball to get dropped and end up having to endure having the FAA possibly boomerang around and land me with something on my record that has to get cleared up.

Anyone with experience know if I should just take this as a lesson and be ready for next years test or if I should take additional steps?
What does your actual eye care professional say (optician, optometrist, ophthalmologist, in ascending order of superpowers)?
And, personally, I find eye exercises essentially useless for improvement.

Historically, I have always scheduled my annual eye exams just before my flight physical, and have my optometrist record distance, near and intermediate vision to show that I am 20/20 in all three areas, and in excess of the FAA standards (with corrective lenses). The AME still runs his eye test, but the documentation will still hold up if for some reason I fail.

In my most recent second class physical this almost came into play as I'd broken my prescription progressive readers (needed for near and intermediate vision) and was using a pair of off the shelf readers. I missed 1 or 2 letters on the 20/40 line with each eye on the near vision test, and was worried. However, the AME stated I still got credit for 20/40. Based on that, I gathered 100% perfection on the line isn't a requirement.

Next year, I'm scheduling a few weeks between eye exam and medical to allow time for a fresh set/spare set of glasses to arrive.

when each eye was tested individually, I know I had managed to read one or two lines worse.

I am not sure what you are saying here. If you managed to read the lines in each eye individually, it is still a pass for 20/20 even if you were a little worse reading with one eye. I have seen many ophthalmologist and O.D.s in my life. They have all said that you can miss 1 or 2 letters or symbols in the line and still be considered to meet the aquity of that line. Maybe like the results of a written test, in that whether its an 80% or a 100%, it still passes. I would not second guess the medical professional that tested you if he or she passed you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back