FAA 1st class...does it include a drug test?

Bobtheburger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bobtheburger
I've heard many people say that the medical does not include a drug screen, but the most recent post in the medical section - someone answered that their third class medical does include a drug screen. What's the case? Is there a drug test for the first class medical?

Rather strange question, are you worried about what will be discovered in a pee test? No drug test on my last 1st class medical done in March.

As far as I know (I've only ever had a 3rd class), there is not a drug screen in the sense that you "pee in a cup" and they test it.They do ask you to pee in a cup for blood sugar. However, the medical form 8500 does ask you if you have ever used illegal drugs. If you lie and are caught, you lose all your certificates and can be prosecuted for lying on a federal form.

Telling the truth doesn't preclude you from getting a medical, but you may have to jump through some expensive hoops to prove that you are sober.

John

Just had my 3rd class yesterday and the tech specifically stated that they check sugar and specific protein levels. The only worry I had was keeping the sample INSIDE of the cup...

Yeas there is a drug test but it is multiple choice. Here is one of the questions.

When flying a Cirrus, should you be on:
A. Cocaine
B. Heroin
C. Meth
D. Marijuana

However, the medical form 8500 does ask you if you have ever used illegal drugs. If you lie and are caught, you lose all your certificates and can be prosecuted for lying on a federal form.
Actually the question is...
HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING? Answer "yes" or "no" for every condition listed below.
>snip<
n. Substance dependence or failed a drug test ever; or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the last 2 years.
No drug test on the first class but you can expect one if you are ever employed at a 121, 135, or many 91 jobs.

I read somewhere that 1st class medicals include Bj's so they can have good fresh semen to examine for potential drug use. They test the examining "nurse" to be sure he or she is clean (can't discriminate). Sometimes you have to delay the test to get a tester you're comfortable with. <-- See that?

But there is no drug screening in the First Class Medical that you were likely asking about and are now getting some flack about. In fact, if you NEED a first class medical you should know how to look up the regs.

I had at least 40-50 1st medicals and didn't test for drugs, just blood sugar.

I've heard many people say that the medical does not include a drug screen, but the most recent post in the medical section - someone answered that their third class medical does include a drug screen. What's the case? Is there a drug test for the first class medical?

no drug screens at this time. The urine test is for protein and glucose to identify kidney problems and diabetes.

Your employer is the one who will be drug screening you for a flying job. You dont want to fail that one. Ever.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back