F.S. by a friend: 1969 Aztec for $45k

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
I know someone who just acquired a 1961 Aztec that he wants to sell for something like $45k. The engines are near TBO but running fine and he said the airframe hours were in the 2500 range which is pretty low. The radios are "OK" (digital Narco) but no GPS etc. PM me if you're interested.

NOTE: It's a 1961 not a 1969 model. I mistyped the thread title.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
WTH is that radio on the top on the stack??? An Omnigator????

Wow. Those things have really depreciated! That's less then a used 182!

Last edited:
Dude, that looks like an Apache.

I'm just sayin'...

Wow. Those things have really deprecated! That's less then a used 182!

Two engine's near TBO takes much of the value out of an old twin but I think this may be pretty much a fire sale.

WTH is that radio on the top on the stack??? An Omnigator????

That's one of those new-fangled AUTOMAGIC destination finders. By some miracle of modern technology it points right at any transmitter it's tuned to. Can you believe it? Way better than a four course range. Pretty durn accurate too, the pointer's usually within as little as 10 or 20 degrees of the real bearing.

OK, it's a 1961, not a 69. Stubby nose.

The registration shows it as a '61 model, which seems to be backed up by the five-seat configuration. Pretty.

Yeah, but Ted's Azteck isn't as pretty. It doesn't have the whole bubble nose thing going for it.

Yeah, that should be a B-model it looks like. Definitely looks more classy than mine, although the lack of de-ice boots is a consideration, plus I believe it'll have the carbureted engines on it (same max power, just all the fun that comes with carbs).

I paid less than $45k for my plane. The radio stack was probably roughly equivalent (although I prefer KX170Bs to the Narcos), plus the Garmin 340, Garmin 327, and HSI. However it came with a newer interior, FIKI, and the engines were 250/1250 with newish props. Prices on twins have dropped like a rock overall, I'd say $45k for that plane is probably pretty reasonable (mine was a screaming deal). Still, expect to put money in it in short order.

I paid less than $45k for my plane. The radio stack was probably roughly equivalent (although I prefer KX170Bs to the Narcos), plus the Garmin 340, Garmin 327, and HSI. However it came with a newer interior, FIKI, and the engines were 250/1250 with newish props. Prices on twins have dropped like a rock overall, I'd say $45k for that plane is probably pretty reasonable (mine was a screaming deal). Still, expect to put money in it in short order.

The current owner's idea is that someone could buy the plane, put 100-200 hrs in their logbook and then sell for about what they paid in the first place rather than spending the money to overhaul the engines.

At the rate twin prices are dropping the current owner's idea might be a tad optimistic.

Those sentiments would qualify the current owner as being consistent with most other owners seeking to sell their 50-year-old twins. The operative word is "about."

The current owner's idea is that someone could buy the plane, put 100-200 hrs in their logbook and then sell for about what they paid in the first place rather than spending the money to overhaul the engines.

Yeah, I had given some consideration to buying a beater twin for that purpose when I was thinking about getting a Cessna 340, for which minimum insurance requirements were around 500 TT and 200 MEL when I was looking. May still do that at some point, but rather than buying a beater twin I decided to get the Aztec and treat it as though I was going to keep it for a while. I'll probably put at least another 500 hours on it before I want to get rid of it.

Funny enough, I've had a number of people tell me they want to buy it when I sell it because of all the work I've done to it, most of which has just been little details that make it a nicer plane. The point where I'll be interested in selling it will probably be about the time the engines are at/past TBO and will need attention and I'm faced with dumping $60k worth of engines into it or getting something else.

Ted,

You really "need" an Aerostar then quickly m oveto an MU-2. I'm serious.

:D

Aerostars are on my list of potential next planes, but I have a feeling I'll be sticking with the Aztec for quite a while. If nothing else, I'm getting the thing so much to the point where it's exactly what I want that getting rid of it wouldn't make any sense. Now if only I could make it go 180 KTAS without increasing my fuel burn... ;)

No prob. Easy to do starting next month. Only problem will be trucking it back to the west coast for the next eastbound trip.

Aerostars are on my list of potential next planes, but I have a feeling I'll be sticking with the Aztec for quite a while. If nothing else, I'm getting the thing so much to the point where it's exactly what I want that getting rid of it wouldn't make any sense. Now if only I could make it go 180 KTAS without increasing my fuel burn... ;)

True, Wayne, I was seeing 207 the other day...

Aerostar? I've heard some stories HMMMM, like quite a handfull with one engine out,etc, I have a friend that has mucho hrs. flying checks in them.
I can get you in touch if you'd like.

Aerostar? I've heard some stories HMMMM, like quite a handfull with one engine out,etc, I have a friend that has mucho hrs. flying checks in them.

Like any high performance/complex airplane it takes a competent well trained pilot to operate it. An aircraft like an Aerostar is not for the casual weekend flyer type.

Like any high performance/complex airplane it takes a competent well trained pilot to operate it. An aircraft like an Aerostar is not for the casual weekend flyer type.

Ted is not the casual weekend type flier. Ted is not the casual weekend type anything.

I've a good friend who was an Aerostar owner for quite a while; says that, yes, it was a demanding airplane to fly, and yes, it was not cheap, and yes, he misses it all the time.

Nor did I say he was. Please reread the previous posts before twisting it out of context.

My reply was in reference to the Aerostar being a handful on engine out.
Nor did Michael say that you said Ted was a casual weekend type flier. Please reread the previous posts before twisting it out of context.:mad2:

Nor did Michael say that you said Ted was a casual weekend type flier. Please reread the previous posts before twisting it out of context.:mad2:

His reply was in reference to my post, hence my quote above his reply.

And quite frankly an Aerostar is not an airplane for any low time pilot irregardless of who it is. It takes discipline and training as well as maintaining currency in normal and abnormal procedures.

His reply was in reference to my post, hence my quote above his reply.

And quite frankly an Aerostar is not an airplane for any low budget pilot irregardless of who it is. It takes fiscal discipline and financial training as well as maintaining significant negotiable currency, legal tender and lines of credit in normal times and astronomical amounts in abnormal times. They can be a handful to fly, too.

Revised based on experience of 3x owner.

Back