F-4 Phantom Retiring

My first TDY was to McDonnell in St Louis in 1964. The factory was wall to wall with F-4's (and F-110's as the original USAF designation).

Turkey and Iran were still flying them in active combat a year or two ago. No clue if there're still operational.

Cheers

Sigh.....
I've got too much time, blood, sweat, tears, and emotions invested in that aircraft not to be feeling a little sad about this announcement.
I'm sure there are a bunch of "Double Ugly" drivers out there feeling the same way.

My favorite airplane ,the best airplane during the Nam,after the c130.

Sigh.....
I've got too much time, blood, sweat, tears, and emotions invested in that aircraft not to be feeling a little w/ the Test Wing
I'm sure there are a bunch of "Double Ugly" drivers out there feeling the same way.

I can understand your feelings having flown it. I was around them for 20 years as an enlisted guy, Osan, Zweibrucken, with w/ alert birds uploaded with nukes at both bases, and Eglin w/ the Test Wing. Still get a chill when I see one at an airshow. Must be a hell of a fuel bill for that. No doubt you've some great stories.

I know a guy that flew wild weasel missions in the f-4. I think he had a pair of bowling ball bags to carry his balls around.

All the weasles guys did, starting with the F100, then F105 and then the F4. Col Bud Day was a weasel in the F100 when he got shot down. A hella of a man. He has a couple books he's written, and they are amazing stories about what he went thru as a POW.

FIrst airshow I ever went to as a kid, 1969, the Blue Angels were flying F4s for the first time. Have never, ever forgotten what that sounded (and felt) like.

Vol29-19.jpg

Last edited:
FIrst airshow I ever went to as a kid, 1969, the Blue Angels were flying F4s for the first time. Have never, ever forgotten what that sounded (and felt) like.

Oh I agree! They were big, loud, and baddass jets. Thunderbirds also flew the F4.

Alright, tit for tat, here's the T-Birds!

965a299066ebcde5234c8171feb06993.jpg

0d1d00ced99fc47f6d4942f6a4e80572.jpg

Last edited:
All the F-4s in the AF had hooks. Most fighters do in case of an emergency. Think the F-111 even had a hook.

Col Bud Day was a weasel in the F100 when he got shot down. A hella of a man. He has a couple books he's written, and they are amazing stories about what he went thru as a POW.

Actually, Bud Day wasn't a Weasel but was a Fast FAC in F-100s out of Phu Cat. Different type of mission. But, the rest of what you said is spot on! Quite a guy...

Actually, Bud Day wasn't a Weasel but was a Fast FAC in F-100s out of Phu Cat. Different type of mission. But, the rest of what you said is spot on! Quite a guy...

I stand corrected! Thanks. Even after he retired he helped a lot of folks in Ft Walton Beach as an attorney, plus fought for health benefits for retirees. And if I recall, he served in the Marines in WW2, Army in the Korean War, and Air Force in Vietnam.

Are you kidding? The F-111 had an ash tray! Loudest afterburner I ever heard, second only to the SR-71.

Unfortunately never got to see an F-111 fly nor worked one ATC. Seen a couple as statics in the early 90s before they retired them. Checkered past but I always liked the Ardvark. Too me it seems like it would be like an old muscle car. Power and speed but not very nimble and always breaks. :)

Got a 30 year old strip on one from my brother's AF ATC days.

Attachments

• IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 48
I always liked the Ardvark too especially watching one land. That gear moved a LOT for what appeared to be a smooth landing in any configuration. The TF-30 afterburner was LOUD but it looked and was actually called, "the Cadillac of the sky" and I believe it. Early in my ATC career I had the opportunity to clear a lot of them to land but sadly that was their last flight and into the boneyard.

I was at Osan AB in the mid 70s and there were 4 sitting on the ramp in plain view. Later my running partner and myself were talking to a Col and we mentioned the F-111s on the ramp. Col says, "what F-111s, there's no F-111s here". Okkkk Col, copy that!

I was at Osan AB in the mid 70s and there were 4 sitting on the ramp in plain view. Later my running partner and myself were talking to a Col and we mentioned the F-111s on the ramp. Col says, "what F-111s, there's no F-111s here". Okkkk Col, copy that!

Apparently the original 'stealth bomber' ;)

I've heard the first F4's were designed and built with no gun since the PTB thought the dog fight would have no place in future air war. Truth or myth?

I've heard the first F4's were designed and built with no gun since the PTB thought the dog fight would have no place in future air war. Truth or myth?

Correct but they modified later with a belly gun. Early missile shots in Vietnam were unreliable. A gun was still necessary.

True and the reason all the current modern fighters have a gun was the Vietnam experience with Sparrow and Sidewinder A-A Missiles.

I was in the CSAF's Office when TAC/DR briefed the need for a gun in the F-22. We had done lots of simulations about close-in combat comparing gun kills with missile kills. "Interesting" discussion. Result was a 20mm cannon with 500 rounds was included in the design.

Cheers

Just watching Sully. Probably two of the last 2 Phantoms flying in the US in that movie.

That F-4E gun looks lethal. But...
...personally, my vote goes to the gun on the nose of the A-10 :cool:

It was a Navy and Marine jet first, then the Air Force picked them up I believe.

That worked out well. All the services used the same plane, and it was a good one.

Too bad it didn't work out so well for the F-35.

F-111s were deployed to Korea in '76 in response to the axe murders of UNC/US personnel by NK troops in the DMZ.

The "E" model was the first with a gun, and some airframe modifications that made it less of a PITA to fly.

F-111s were deployed to Korea in '76 in response to the axe murders of UNC/US personnel by NK troops in the DMZ.

This was '73-74 when I was there, 3 or 4 of them there for just a few days.

I'd say it's either Nellis or Indian Springs for their annual meet. Note the Tbirds painted four's tail black while the Blue's maintainers kept theirs clean. :(

Back