F-35

Goofy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Goofy
"About a quarter of the F-35 fighter jets made by Lockheed Martin Corp (LMT.N), or 55 planes, have stopped flying until further notice because of irregularities in pilots' oxygen supplies, U.S. Air Force spokesman Captain Mark Graff said on Monday."

Anybody know what's really going on? Seems to be an old issue....?

I thought it was the F22 and T38 previously

I think the t-6b is having obogs issues as well from what I've heard.

Yep..ill never forget sitting at the bus stop at PSAB and an AGE truck is driving by spewing lox. They forgot to shut the vent valve. I was waiting for something gnarly to happen. Never did thank goodness.

Throw another couple billion at it and Northrop will get it fixed right up.....

This morning I heard that all the affected planes were at one base.

This is SUCH BS...! Hold the contractors responsible with HUGE penalties.

Just this week, the F-35, America’s next generation of fighting aircraft, halted air operations at an Arizona air base after pilots suffered symptoms resembling hypoxia, or oxygen deprivation, while in flight. The symptoms include dizziness, euphoria or even loss of consciousness.

This comes as one of America’s most fierce fighting aircraft, the heavily relied on F/A-18, has been under review by the Navy after increased reports that its pilots were in harm's way before they even make it into combat. The problem? An unreliable air supply that results in hypoxia.

Fox News got an exclusive look at the results of that comprehensive review Thursday afternoon. The Navy also reviewed problems with the T-45, used to train pilots. In April, the Navy halted training flights in T-45’s, due to safety concerns. Those flights have not resumed.

We need to get rid of these horrible American engineers and use Chinese engineers

They've been grounded for several weeks now out at Luke. Local news has been covering the topic everyday it seems. Used to seeing them (especially during bad weather) fly over the house and also during their night ops. Skies have been silent for awhile now. I haven't even noticed any F-16's flying around either.

This problem has been being investigated for probably at least 5 years now. Started with F -22 originally. Huge effort was conducted by the AF.

Fox News got an exclusive look at the results of that comprehensive review Thursday afternoon. The Navy also reviewed problems with the T-45, used to train pilots. In April, the Navy halted training flights in T-45’s, due to safety concerns. Those flights have not resumed.

That was it, not the T-38. I get my T-aircraft confused

The Navy also reviewed problems with the T-45, used to train pilots. In April, the Navy halted training flights in T-45’s, due to safety concerns. Those flights have not resumed.

Is that fleet wide? I ask because I heard something about that as well and just last week when I flew into KMEI I was parked next to a few T-45's and after a while they got back in them and took off.

This is SUCH BS...! Hold the contractors responsible with HUGE penalties.

Dollars to doughnuts says the OBOGS is Government Furnished Equipment, meaning it is bought independently by Uncle Sam and provided to the airframe manufacturer/integrator. The manufacturer of the device (or airframe integrator) might have some responsibility, but what's the warranty on an OBOGS? How does Uncle Sam prove the equipment has been serviced properly?

Based on news reports, I have no personal knowledge, the Air Force and Navy have both been running into problems with maintenance in the past decade. The O2 generation systems are just one of the more visible problems.
Anecdotal reports are that the problem is caused by the continued pace of operations, with significant equipment deployed to combat operational areas, the equipment left behind is getting used harder and more often. This is having a ripple effect on all aspects of maintenance.
I am pretty sure if I recall the news correctly, the problem on the F22 O2 system was caused by a failed O ring which was reacting with new liquids used to clean some aspect of the O2 system. Unintended consequences....

Tim (news junkie, but way outside who my knowledge base)

God I hate that place. I'm sorry you were there.
It wasn't too bad other than bouncing from -20 degree Alaska weather to 140 degree saudi weather. That part is what sucked.

When were you there? I was there in 2001.

God I hate that place. I'm sorry you were there.

I was there too having spent half the time in tents and the other half in the new dorms. Porta johns at the tower/radar site only. Nothing like peeing and disturbing the flies which launch off their turds and land on your lips in 120 degree heat. Saudi sucked.

@simtech, 98 and then back for the big show in 03.

@Timbeck2, first trip was the hard billets, second was in open bay trailers surrounded by a bunch of ConExs in Ops Town. Those were brought in for all the new folks arriving for what turned into OIF. The hard billets were 4 to a room.

The cadillacs (what the "nice" enclosed bathrooms, latrines, heads, etc were called) were always clogged up and/or full and nasty. I got used to using the one in the shower tent. Those of you who were there know, but those who weren't...you sit on a raised "throne" on your choice of four toilets all in a row. There is only a 6 or 8" curtain between you and the next dude so the curtain really has no purpose. You are in the open so anyone coming into the tent has a full "how ya doin" view of you while you do your business. Awkward at first but you got used to it.

Dollars to doughnuts says the OBOGS is Government Furnished Equipment, meaning it is bought independently by Uncle Sam and provided to the airframe manufacturer/integrator.

Wrong. Send me donuts or dollars, either is acceptable.

Cheers

Back