F-35 test pilot results. Doesn't look promising

Thank you. However, based on the following commentary, I'm going to state that the author didn't actually fly in either of the planes, nor was he a member of the test plane staff.

"we don’t know where each deficiency was found. "
"To me, it sounds like ..."
"My guess is ..."
"There’s plenty of room to criticize this program, but accuracy is important. "

So, given the merit of the two cases, I'm going to stick with the guy who had the flight controls in his hands, and is trained in testing aircraft.

you really think there will be an unclassified report discussing the limitations and weaknesses of a US fighter?

Evil says he can beat it with one arm tied behind his back so I gotta believe him. :D

Seriously though, I read an article in Combat Aircraft Monthly a few months back and some F-15 ANG pilots seemed quite confident in their ability to defeat an F-35. :dunno:

Evil says he can beat it with one arm tied behind his back so I gotta believe him. :D

Seriously though, I read an article in Combat Aircraft Monthly a few months back and some F-15 ANG pilots seemed quite confident in their ability to defeat an F-35. :dunno:

Is the F-35 an air superiority fighter?

If you have a problem with the report, no need to kill the messenger. I did't fly it. ;)
I don't have a problem with this report but I also see its very limited scope - evaluation of close air combat capabilities. This is just a fraction of overall mission of this aircraft, instead give me the overall assessment how this aircraft compares over multiple, different missions/situations/scenarios, etc. The result could be starkly different.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with this report but I also see its very limited scope - evaluation of close air combat capabilities. This is just a fraction of overall mission of this aircraft, instead give me the overall assessment how this aircraft compares over multiple, different missions/situations/scenarios, etc. The result could be starkly different.

Sorry again, I don't have that information handy. What I got is what I got.

Back in the day, the "F" stood for Fighter aircraft. A - Attack, R - Recon, C - cargo, X - Experimental, etc. So, I'm gonna go with the "F" 35, fifth gen aircraft should be able to out fight the "F" 16?

Just one guy's op-ed.

Sorry again, I don't have that information handy. What I got is what I got.

I didn't expect anything more, it was a rhetorical statement on my part.
Upon further reading it turns the F-35 used for this test had airframe with restricted flight envelope also lacking some features available in operational aircraft which further diminishes value of this report. This info comes from AW&ST - highly reputable magazine.

This article was recently brought up on another board, so I will repost what I said there.

In short, it's a bit complicated.

As McFly pointed out there is always another side. For one, you need to look up the original author's credentials - lots of research background, but no direct military or government experience aside from research, so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Also important to understand the context of the testing that was done and the limitations of said testing. It was a pretty limited engagement test with an F-35A with an older software build and much of the issues that the test pilot noted were related to the software limitations. In other words, this was by no means a definitive test of the aircraft's air-air capability and there are obviously adjustments that will have to be made. Whether or not the aircraft will be noticeably better once the software gets ironed out...that remains to be seen.

*The comments below are obviously my personal impressions and do not reflect on the official opinions of the US Navy or USMC.

Without going into sensitive specifics, the impression I have (I currently work in a Test and Evaluation job (albeit ships, not aircraft) and previously was ship's company on the F-35B test platform) is that the STOVL variant is generally doing quite well and the Marines want to get it operational yesterday. The other services....not so much. But the important part of that understanding is that you have to look at what it is replacing - the F35B is a HUGE and much needed upgrade to the AV-8B. The Harrier fleet can't keep flying much longer, and the F-35 is a big improvement in capability over the Harrier. I've talked to some of the test pilots and have not heard anything along the lines of 'I liked the Harrier better'). The biggest issues we have with getting the F-35B operational are the ship mods to support the aircraft, but those are more of a pain in the ass from a time/money standpoint. The shipboard stowage requirements for the lithium ion batteries for example are a big annoyance, but nothing that can't be overcome. I have not seen any big show-stopper issues come up with the F-35B.

For the F-35A/C, well, that's another story. Both of those variants appear to be further behind in development and I haven't heard anyone talk highly of the aircraft in those circles and I'm not sure those variants are really worth the associated troubles compared to existing F-16/F-18s.

So, I suppose it all depends on your perspective. Personally, I like the F-35B.....I just think it is a ridiculously expensive Harrier replacement.

Nope. Wasn't designed for that. That doesn't necessarily mean a multi role aircraft can't defeat an air superiority fighter in ACM. I'll put $100 on 35 that he can take Evil in a DACT close in fight.:rofl:

F-35 Lightning II
The F-35 Lightning II is a 5th Generation fighter, combining advanced stealth with fighter speed and agility, fully fused sensor information, network-enabled operations and advanced sustainment.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/f35.html

I think what Bob is getting at is that the F-22 was designed for the air superiority fighter role and the F-35 more of a multi role platform. The F-14 and F-15 from the get go were designed for air superiority. They only evolved into attack later in life.

Here is another way to look at it:

There were once three brothers who grew up to be military fighter pilots. There was Hornet who went Navy. Viper who joined the Air Force and Jumpin' Jimmy who went Marine Corps.

Now all three of these brothers loved sports cars. Jumpin' Jimmy had an old MG. A fine example of 1960's British motor engineering. Jimmy's MG had seen better days. Paint badly fading and peeling. Rag top held together with duct tape. A/C went out 25 years ago. Constantly breaking down and he was regularly seen scouring the junk yards for parts to keep the old girl running. Lots of structural corrosion on the frame and he was constantly in fear that the car would break down and fall apart at any time.

Hornet and Viper had a little better success. Hornet drove Corvettes and Viper like Mustangs. Hornet and Viper would occasionally get a new model ever 5-10 years and their cars were kept in much better shape. They didn't have all the latest bells and whistles, but did have MP3-player jacks and after-market XM radios. Jimmy's MG still had an 8-track player (no tapes though....the player had eaten them all). While Hornet and Viper's cars weren't the latest models, they were still running fine and they had no trouble picking up chicks.

Now the 3 brothers had an eccentric and big-spending uncle - Uncle Sugar who one day declared he would buy his nephews each a brand new sports car! So Uncle Sugar went down to the dealer and selected the latest and greatest model they had. He was a bit of a sucker and let the dealer sell him ALL the add-ons- the blue tooth, full entertainment system, onboard nav system, the special spray on protective paint coat, the most expensive tires and rims they had and the extended service plan (that only covered oil changes and not actual repair items). And to top it off, Uncle Sugar thought he was a shrewd guy - he refused the dealer financing and didn't even haggle. He paid with his Visa card....at 17.9% interest!

He bought the brothers.....a Mini Cooper. Now, it was the latest John Cooper Works model with all the BMW features, but still a Mini.

Well, now, Jumpin' Jimmy was absolutely ecstatic! He hadn't felt this cool since his first time finding himself alone with a girl. He thought he'd died and gone to heaven.

His brothers, Hornet and Viper? Well, let's just say they weren't so sure this was such a good deal.......

Upon further reading it turns the F-35 used for this test had airframe with restricted flight envelope also lacking some features available in operational aircraft which further diminishes value of this report. This info comes from AW&ST - highly reputable magazine.
That is true. The flight envelope is software limited.

One of the many problems is they are close to 20 years in the development program and still working out major bugs? Major waste of taxpayer money.

One of the many problems is they are close to 20 years in the development program and still working out major bugs? Major waste of taxpayer money.

Pushing the state of the art is never easy, and in peacetime (or thereabouts) the military wants the perfect weapon, and will not settle for what's available "right now".

Back in "The Day", the military took the best products, even if they were badly flawed (see:B-29 engines) and put them to work. Today, not so much.

A Mini with the Works package is nothing to scoff at. That little sucker will go! Not very sexy or reliable though. When things break, they're expensive.

Yeah, because a modern fighter can really be flown without computer aid or artificial g-limits.
It can be flown.....but you can easily break it without the computer. I worked with a Super Hornet guy who had transitioned from the Tomcat. His simplified description of the two airplanes was that with the Super Hornet, you basically point the stick where you want to go and the computer figures out the best way to adjust the controls to get there while limiting the inputs to avoid over-stressing the airframe. The only safety buffer for the Tomcat was the pilot. If you yanked the stick around, you could break the airplane.

A Mini with the Works package is nothing to scoff at. That little sucker will go! Not very sexy or reliable though. When things break, they're expensive.
I think it is a good illustration of why the Marines are so happy with the F-35B while the jury is still out for the F-35A/C.

Back in the day, the "F" stood for Fighter aircraft. A - Attack, R - Recon, C - cargo, X - Experimental, etc. So, I'm gonna go with the "F" 35, fifth gen aircraft should be able to out fight the "F" 16?

Just one guy's op-ed.

yeah, sure, and the F-111B was a "fighter" that should have been able to out fight other fighters. :nono:

Don't get confused by the letter.

Not really. it's a joint strike fighter for inter-service use...like the F4 was back in the 60's. The F-22 is an air superiority fighter. The F-35 is massively expensive to produce. The military is using planes like this to bridge gaps between fighters and attack aircraft, replacing proven platforms like the F16, A10, F15E, etc. Of course, vastly more money is spent in developing and producing this new and "better" aircraft, than would be needed to improve on our current designs. So hundred of billions are being spent on this "do it all" plane that might eventually be able (or not) to do the job. Regardless of whether it works out or not, someone's congressional districts get some jobs and the developing corporations get our billions of tax-payer dollars.

yeah, sure, and the F-111B was a "fighter" that should have been able to out fight other fighters. :nono:

Don't get confused by the letter.

Why the snark? And why use one example of the system to prove your point?

B-52 - Bomber
B-1 - Bomber
F14 - Fighter
A6 - Attack
A10 - Attack
C130 - Cargo
C-5 - Cargo
F4 - Fighter
F16 - Fighter

Need I go on? I don't think I'm the one who's confused. :no:

Why the snark? And why use one example of the system to prove your point?

Because just one example should be sufficient to make it clear that you cannot depend on the letter to defend a claim that the F-35 should be able to out fight <fill in the blank>

Another example, remember the A-12? (not the recent one, but the one in '57)

F-117?

1. Just because it has an "F" doesn't mean it's a dog fighter. 2. Just because it's a fighter doesn't mean it can handle an air superiority fighter (F-15, SU-27). 3. Just because it's a new multi role fighter, doesn't mean it can necessarily beat all existing multi role fighters.

I read an article last month in Air Combat Monthly on the integration of the F-35 with the Brits Typhoon. They said several times the Typhoon is a better dog fighter. They also seem quite happy with that since that wasn't the reason why they went with the F-35. It's all about "connectivity" these days.

F-117, F-111 et al...not fighters, not even close to them. Concept cars, if you really look at the history of their service.
--break break--

Back on topic. If one were to look at this as the make-work project it is in the implementation phase, one realizes the government workers and the civilians who rely on this multiple-states and multi-national pork to make a living, do not look at these bloated efforts as a failure. I agree with all y'all in principle, but a living standards declining, service-economy based McWage Country such as ours needs some form of middle class lucrative wages, and as of late that is being provided primarily by government, whether it be direct employment or the (sometimes unapologetically corrupt) subsidy of waste production industries (defense et al). I didn't make the script, I'm just reading it out loud for the benefit of the gallery...

The F-35 is a wasteful design both in political strategy and implementation within our real world economics, but it provides jobs. The military operators will as we always do, find a way to make the best lemonade we can out the incomplete puzzles we're provided by the defense contractors that make their living calling us their most important customer, while taking exceedingly few of our inputs seriously and sometimes providing a product that is ultimately a cheapest bidder quality.

One thing is clear, the cancellation of the F-35 would not represent an imminent threat to our National Security. By that measure alone, the emperor knows it has no clothes. Like I've said before, it was never about that with the F-35. The program is successful at what ultimately it was designed to accomplish ($$ oink oink).

No argument there. :yes:

Why the snark? . . .
I find myself asking that more and more all the time. All it does is poison the conversation. It comes nowhere near proving how smart or tough you are. I stopped reading as soon as I picked up on that snarky comment.

Back on topic. If one were to look at this as the make-work project it is in the implementation phase, one realizes the government workers and the civilians who rely on this multiple-states and multi-national pork to make a living, do not look at these bloated efforts as a failure. I agree with all y'all in principle, but a living standards declining, service-economy based McWage Country such as ours needs some form of middle class lucrative wages, and as of late that is being provided primarily by government, whether it be direct employment or the (sometimes unapologetically corrupt) subsidy of waste production industries (defense et al). I didn't make the script, I'm just reading it out loud for the benefit of the gallery...

The F-35 is a wasteful design both in political strategy and implementation within our real world economics, but it provides jobs. The military operators will as we always do, find a way to make the best lemonade we can out the incomplete puzzles we're provided by the defense contractors that make their living calling us their most important customer, while taking exceedingly few of our inputs seriously and sometimes providing a product that is ultimately a cheapest bidder quality.

One thing is clear, the cancellation of the F-35 would not represent an imminent threat to our National Security. By that measure alone, the emperor knows it has no clothes. Like I've said before, it was never about that with the F-35. The program is successful at what ultimately it was designed to accomplish ($$ oink oink).
Pretty valid assessment. Only thing I would add is that what I think the public should be concerned about is that the issues we see plaguing the JSF program are not isolated to the JSF. They are increasingly recurring themes across many high dollar DoD acquisition programs. We have flag officers who keep agreeing to buy expensive systems simply because they brief well in powerpoint slides. We get liquored up on having to have new tech and in the end we find that the new system is actually LESS capable than some legacy systems. That is what is killing us right now.

If you think the F-35 has problems.....wait 'till you see CVN-78!:yikes:

I find myself asking that more and more all the time. All it does is poison the conversation. It comes nowhere near proving how smart or tough you are. I stopped reading as soon as I picked up on that snarky comment.

You considered that a snarky comment?

seriously?

Type I: Pursuit, water-cooled[edit]
PW-1 – Engineering Division
PW-2 – Loening
PW-3 – Orenco
PW-4 – Gallaudet
PW-5 – Fokker
PW-6 – Fokker
PW-7 – Fokker
PW-8 – Curtiss
PW-9 – Boeing
Type II: Pursuit, night[edit]
PN-1 – Curtiss
Type III: Pursuit, air-cooled[edit]
PA-1 – Loening
Type IV: Pursuit, ground attack, 1922[edit]
PG-1 – Aeromarine
Type V: Two-seat pursuit[edit]
TP-1 – Engineering Division
Type VI: Ground attack, 1920–1922[edit]
GA-1 – Boeing
GA-2 – Boeing
Type VII: Infantry liaison[edit]
IL-1 – Orenco
Type VIII: Night observation[edit]
NO-1 – Douglas
NO-2 – Douglas
Type IX: Artillery observation[edit]
AO-1 – Atlantic
Type X: Corps observation[edit]
CO-1 – Engineering Division
CO-2 – Engineering Division
CO-3 – Engineering Division
CO-4 – Atlantic
CO-5 – Engineering Division
CO-6 – Engineering Division
CO-7 – Boeing
CO-8 – Atlantic
Type XI: Day bombardment[edit]
DB-1 – Gallaudet
Type XII: Night bombardment, short range[edit]
NBS-1 – Martin (originally designated MB-2)
NBS-2 – Lowe-Willard-Fowler
NBS-3 – Elias
NBS-4 – Curtiss
Type XIII: Night bombardment, long range[edit]
NBL-1 – Witteman-Lewis
NBL-2 – Martin
Type XIV: Trainer, air-cooled[edit]
TA-1 – Elias
TA-2 – Huff-Daland
TA-3 – Dayton-Wright Aircraft
TA-4 – Engineering Division
TA-5 – Dayton-Wright Aircraft
TA-6 – Huff-Daland
Type XV: Trainer, water-cooled[edit]
TW-1 – Engineering Division
TW-2 – Cox-Klemin
TW-3 – Dayton-Wright Aircraft
TW-4 – Fokker
TW-5 – Huff-Daland
Ambulance, 1919–1924[edit]
A-1 – Cox-Klemin
A-2 – Fokker
Messenger[edit]
M-1 – Engineering Division/Sperry
Pursuit, special[edit]
PS-1 – Dayton-Wright
Racer[edit]

Verville-Sperry R-3
R-1 – Alfred V. Verville
R-2 – Thomas-Morse
R-3 – Verville-Sperry
R-4 – Loening
R-5 – Thomas-Morse
R-6 – Curtiss
R-7 – Engineering Division
R-8 – Curtisss
Seaplane[edit]
S-1 – Loening
Transport[edit]
T-1 – Martin
T-2 – Fokker
T-3 – Lowe-Willard-Fowler
Army Air Corps/Army Air Forces/Air Force 1924–1962[edit]

A-3 Falcon
Attack, 1924–1948[edit]
A-1 – skipped to prevent confusion with Cox-Klemin XA-1
A-2 – Douglas
A-3 Falcon – Curtiss
A-4 Falcon – Curtiss
A-5 Falcon – Curtiss
A-6 Falcon – Curtiss
A-7 – Fokker
A-8 – Curtiss
A-9 – Lockheed
A-10 Shrike – Curtiss
A-11 – Consolidated
A-12 Shrike – Curtiss
A-13 – Northrop
A-14 – Curtiss
A-15 – Martin
A-16 – Northrop
A-17 Nomad – Northrop
A-18 Shrike – Curtiss
A-19 – Vultee
A-20 Havoc – Douglas (redesignated as B-20 in 1948)

A-20 Havoc
A-21 – Stearman
A-22 – Martin (assigned but none served with AAF)
A-23 Baltimore – Martin
A-24 Banshee – Douglas (redesignated as F-24 in 1948)
A-25 Shrike – Curtiss
A-26 Invader – Douglas (redesignated as B-26 in 1948, then as A-26 in 1966)
A-27 – North American
A-28 Hudson – Lockheed
A-29 Hudson – Lockheed
A-30 – Martin (assigned to allow supply to the UK under Lend-lease)
A-31 Vengeance – Vultee
A-32 – Brewster
A-33 – Douglas
A-34 – Brewster
A-35 Vengeance – Vultee
A-36 Apache/Invader – North American
A-37 – Hughes
A-38 Grizzly – Beechcraft
A-39 – Kaiser-Fleetwings
A-40 – Curtiss
A-41 – Vultee
A-42 Mixmaster – Douglas
A-43 Blackhawk – Curtiss-Wright
A-44 – Convair
A-45 – Martin
Bomber[edit]

Huff-Daland LB-1
Until 1926, the Army Air Service had three sequences for bombers. Light bombers were indicated by the LB- prefix, medium bombers by the B- prefix, and heavy bombers by the HB- prefix. In 1926, the three-category system was scrapped and all bombers subsequently built were placed in the B- sequence.
Light Bomber, 1924–1926[edit]
LB-1 – Huff-Daland (later Keystone)
LB-2 – Atlantic Aircraft Corporation (Fokker Aircraft Corp after 1925)
LB-3 – Keystone
Martin LB-4 – serial number assigned but prototype not built
LB-5 – Keystone
LB-6 – Keystone
LB-7 – Keystone
LB-8 – Keystone
LB-9 – Keystone
LB-10 – Keystone
LB-11 – Keystone
LB-12 – Keystone
LB-13 – Keystone
LB-14 – Keystone
Medium Bomber, 1924–1926[edit]
B-1 – Huff-Daland
B-2 Condor – Curtiss
Heavy Bomber, 1924–1926[edit]
HB-1 – Huff-Daland
HB-2 – Atlantic/Fokker
HB-3 – Huff-Daland
Unified bomber sequence, 1926–1962[edit]

Martin B-10B
B-1 – Huff-Daland/Keystone
B-2 Condor – Curtiss
B-3 – Keystone
B-4 – Keystone
B-5 – Keystone
B-6 – Keystone
B-7 – Douglas
B-8 – Fokker
B-9 – Boeing
B-10 – Martin
B-11 – Douglas
B-12 – Martin
B-13 – Martin
B-14 – Martin
B-15 – Boeing
B-16 – Martin
B-17 Flying Fortress – Boeing
B-18 Bolo – Douglas
B-19 – Douglas
B-20 – Boeing
B-20 Havoc – Douglas (designation of A-20 Havoc from 1948 to 1949)
B-21 – North American
B-22 – Douglas
B-23 Dragon – Douglas
B-24 Liberator – Consolidated

B-24 Liberator
B-25 Mitchell – North American
B-26 Marauder – Martin
B-26 Invader – Douglas – designation of A-26 Invader from 1948 to 1966
B-27 – Martin
B-28 Dragon – North American
B-29 Superfortress – Boeing
B-30 – Lockheed
B-31 – Douglas
B-32 Dominator – Consolidated
B-33 Super Marauder – Martin
B-34 Lexington – Lockheed
B-35 – Northrop
B-36 Peacemaker – Convair
B-37 – Lockheed
B-38 Flying Fortress – Boeing
B-39 Superfortress – Boeing
B-40 Flying Fortress – Boeing
B-41 Liberator – Consolidated
B-42 Mixmaster – Douglas
B-43 Jetmaster – Douglas
B-44 Superfortress – Boeing
B-45 Tornado – North American
B-46 – Convair
B-47 Stratojet – Boeing
B-48 – Martin
B-49 – Northrop
B-50 Superfortress – Boeing
B-51 – Martin
B-52 Stratofortress – Boeing

JB-52E Stratofortress
B-53 – Convair
B-54 – Boeing
B-55 – Boeing
B-56 – Boeing
B-57 Canberra – Martin
B-58 Hustler – Convair
B-59 – Boeing
B-60 – Convair
B-61 Matador – Martin (redesignated as TM-61, then MGM-1)
B-62 Snark – Northrop (redesignated as SM-62)
B-63 RASCAL – Bell (redesignated as GAM-63)
B-64 Navaho – North American (redesignated as SM-64)
B-65 Atlas – Convair (redesignated as SM-65)
B-66 Destroyer – Douglas
B-67 Crossbow – Radioplane (redesignated as GAM-67)
B-68 – Martin
B-68 Titan – Martin (redesignated as SM-68)
B-69 Neptune – Lockheed
B-70 Valkyrie – North American
B-71 Blackbird – Lockheed[2]
Beginning with #69, the "M-" (missile) and "B-" (bomber) series diverged. The missiles designated M-69 to M-92, some of which are incorrectly labeled as "formerly designated B-xx" in some sources, never used a "B-" series designation.
Bomber, long range, 1935–1936[edit]
A short-lived designation used from 1935–1936 to refer to three long-range bomber projects commissioned by the Army Air Corps. Most of the bombers were night bombers.
BLR-1 – Boeing (redesignated as XB-15)
BLR-2 – Douglas (redesignated as XB-19)
BLR-3 – Sikorsky
Cargo, 1924–1962[edit]

Douglas C-1 refueling Fokker C-2
C-1 – Douglas
C-2 – Fokker
C-3 – Ford
C-4 – Ford
C-5 – Fokker
C-6 – Sikorsky
C-7 – Fokker
C-8 – Fairchild
C-9 – Ford
C-10 Robin – Curtiss-Wright
C-11 Fleetster – Consolidated
C-12 Vega – Lockheed
C-13 – not used
C-14 – Fokker
C-15 – Fokker
C-16 – Fokker
C-17 Super Vega – Lockheed
C-18 Monomail – Boeing
C-19 Alpha – Northrop
C-20 – Fokker
C-21 Dolphin – Douglas
C-22 Fleetster – Consolidated
C-23 Altair – Lockheed
C-24 – American/Fairchild
C-25 Altair – Lockheed
C-26 Dolphin – Douglas
C-27 Airbus – Bellanca
C-28 – Sikorsky

Sikorsky C-28
C-29 Dolphin – Douglas
C-30 Condor – Curtiss-Wright
C-31 – Kreider-Reisner
C-32 – Douglas
C-33 – Douglas
C-34 – Douglas
C-35 Electra – Lockheed
C-36 Electra – Lockheed
C-37 Electra – Lockheed
C-38 – Douglas
C-39 – Douglas
C-40 Electra – Lockheed
C-41 – Douglas
C-42 – Douglas
C-43 Traveller – Beechcraft
C-44 – Messerschmitt
C-45 Expeditor – Beechcraft
C-46 Commando – Curtiss-Wright
C-47 Skytrain – Douglas

C-47 Skytrain
C-48 Skytrain – Douglas
C-49 Skytrain – Douglas
C-50 Skytrain – Douglas
C-51 Skytrain – Douglas
C-52 Skytrain – Douglas
C-53 Skytrooper – Douglas
C-54 Skymaster – Douglas
C-55 Commando – Curtiss-Wright
C-56 Lodestar – Lockheed
C-57 Lodestar – Lockheed
C-58 Bolo – Douglas
C-59 Lodestar – Lockheed
C-60 Lodestar – Lockheed
C-61 Forwarder – Fairchild
C-62 – Waco
C-63 Hudson – Lockheed
C-64 Norseman – Noorduyn
C-65 Skycar – Stout
C-66 Lodestar – Lockheed
C-67 Dragon – Douglas
C-68 – Douglas
C-69 Constellation – Lockheed
C-70 Nightingale – Howard
C-71 Executive – Spartan
C-72 – Waco
C-73 – Boeing
C-74 Globemaster – Douglas

C-74 Globemaster
C-75 – Boeing
C-76 Caravan – Curtiss-Wright
C-77 – Cessna
C-78 Bobcat – Cessna
C-79 – Junkers
C-80 – Harlow
C-81 Reliant – Stinson
C-82 Packet – Fairchild
C-83 Coupe – Piper
C-84 – Douglas
C-85 Orion – Lockheed
C-86 Forwarder – Fairchild
C-87 Liberator Express – Consolidated
C-88 – Fairchild
C-89 – Hamilton
C-90 – Luscombe
C-91 – Stinson
C-92 – Akron-Funk
C-93 Conestoga – Budd
C-94 – Cessna
C-95 Grasshopper – Taylorcraft
C-96 – Fairchild
C-97 Stratofreighter – Boeing

C-97 Stratofreighter
KC-97 Stratofreighter – Boeing
C-98 Clipper – Boeing
C-99 – Convair
C-100 Gamma – Northrop
C-101 Vega – Lockheed
C-102 Sportster – Rearwin
C-103 – Grumman
C-104 – Lockheed
C-105 – Boeing
C-106 – Cessna
C-107 Skycar – Stout
C-108 Flying Fortress – Boeing
C-109 Liberator Express – Consolidated
C-110 – Douglas
C-111 Super Electra – Lockheed
C-112 – Douglas
C-113 Commando – Curtiss-Wright
C-114 Skymaster – Douglas
C-115 Skymaster – Douglas
C-116 Skymaster – Douglas
C-117 Super Skytrain – Douglas
C-118 Liftmaster – Douglas
C-119 Flying Boxcar – Fairchild
C-120 Packplane – Fairchild
C-121 Constellation – Lockheed
YC-121F Constellation – Lockheed
C-122 Avitruc – Chase
C-123 Provider – Fairchild
XC-123A – Chase
C-124 Globemaster II – Douglas

From left to right: C-141, C-130, and C-124 with Mt. St. Helens in the background
C-125 Raider – Northrop
C-126 – Cessna
C-127 – Boeing
C-128 Flying Boxcar – Fairchild
C-129 Super Skytrain – Douglas
C-130 Hercules – Lockheed
C-131 Samaritan – Convair
C-132 – Douglas
C-133 Cargomaster – Douglas
C-134 – Stroukoff
C-135 Stratolifter – Boeing
KC-135 Stratotanker – Boeing
C-136 – Fairchild
C-137 Stratoliner – Boeing
C-138 – reserved for Fokker F27, but never assigned
C-139 – Lockheed
C-140 Jetstar – Lockheed
C-141 Starlifter – Lockheed
C-142 – Vought
C-143 – reserved for what would become the X-19, but never officially assigned
C-143 MRC2A – Bombardier Challenger CL-604 for US Coast Guard Medium Range Command and Control Aircraft[3]
C-144 Ocean Sentry – CASA CN-235 300CG for US Coast Guard Medium Range Surveillance Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MRS MPA)[3]
C-145 Skytruck - PZL M28 for special operations.
C-146 - Dornier 328 for special operations.
Drone[edit]

Culver PQ-8A
Aerial Target[edit]
1922–1935[edit]
GL-1 Unmanned Coastal Artillery Target Glider - McCook Field Engineering Section
GL-2 Manned Aerial Target Glider - McCook Field Engineering Section
GL-3 Unmanned Aerial Target Glider (also known as "G-3") - McCook Field Engineering Section
1940–1941[edit]
A-1 – Fleetwings
A-2 – Radioplane
A-3 – Curtiss
A-4 – Douglas
A-5 – Boeing
A-6 – Douglas
A-7 Airacobra – Bell
A-8 Cadet – Culver
1942–1948[edit]
PQ-8 Cadet – Culver
PQ-9 – Culver
PQ-10 – Culver
PQ-11 – Fletcher
PQ-12 – Fleetwings
PQ-13 – ERCO
PQ-14 Cadet – Culver
PQ-15 – Culver
Aerial Target (Model Airplane), 1942–1948[edit]

Radioplane OQ-2A
OQ-2 – Radioplane
OQ-3 – Radioplane/Frankfort
OQ-4 – Brunswick-Balke-Collender
OQ-5 – contractor unknown
OQ-6 – Radioplane
OQ-7 – Radioplane
OQ-11 – Simmonds Aerocessories
OQ-12 – Radioplane
OQ-13 – Radioplane
OQ-14 – Radioplane/Frankfort
OQ-16
OQ-17 – Radioplane
OQ-18
OQ-19 Quail – Radioplane
Controllable bomb, 1942–1945[edit]
BQ-1 – Fleetwings
BQ-2 – Kaiser-Fleetwings
BQ-3 – Fairchild
BQ-3 – Fairchild
BQ-4 – Interstate
BQ-5 – Interstate
BQ-6 – Interstate
BQ-7 Aphrodite – Boeing
BQ-8 Liberator – Consolidated[4]
Target Control, 1942–1948[edit]
CQ-1 – Fletcher
CQ-2 – Stinson
CQ-3 Expeditor – Beechcraft
CQ-4 Flying Fortress – Boeing
Unified sequence, 1948–1962[edit]
Q-1 – Radioplane
Q-2 Firebee – Ryan
Q-3 – Radioplane
Q-4 – Northrop
Q-5 Kingfisher – Lockheed
Q-6 – Wright Air Development Center
Q-7 – skipped: request for redesignation of QB-17 not approved
Q-8 Cadet Culver
Q-8 – request for redesignation of QF-80 not approved
Q-9 – WADC
Q-10 – Radioplane
Q-11 – WADC
Q-12 – Beechcraft
Q-14 Cadet – Culver
Glider[edit]
Assault Glider, 1942–1944[edit]
AG-1 – Christopher
AG-2 – Timm
Bomb Glider, 1942–1944[edit]
BG-1 – Fletcher
BG-2 – Fletcher
BG-3 – Cornelius
Cargo Glider, 1941–1948[edit]

Waco CG-4A
CG-1 – Frankfort
CG-2 – Frankfort
CG-3 – Waco
CG-4 Hadrian – Waco
CG-5 – St. Louis
CG-6 – St. Louis
CG-7 – Bowlus-DuPont/Douglas
CG-8 – Bowlus-DuPont/Douglas
CG-9 – AGA Aviation
CG-10 Trojan Horse – Laister-Kauffman
CG-11 – Snead
CG-12 – Read-York
CG-13 – Waco
CG-14 – Chase
CG-15 Hadrian – Waco
CG-16 – General Airborne Transport
CG-17 – Douglas
CG-18 – Chase
CG-19 – Douglas
CG-20 – Chase
Fuel Glider, 1930–1948[edit]
FG-1 – Cornelius
Powered Glider, 1943–1948[edit]
PG-1 – Northwestern
PG-2 – Ridgefield
PG-3 – Waco
Training Glider, 1941–1948[edit]

Schweitzer TG-3A
TG-1 – Frankfort
TG-2 – Schweizer
TG-3 – Schweizer
TG-4 – Laister-Kauffman
TG-5 Grasshopper – Aeronca
TG-6 Grasshopper – Taylorcraft
TG-7 Orlik – Kocjan
TG-8 Grasshopper – Piper
TG-9 – Briegleb
TG-10 – Wichita Engineering
TG-11 – Schempp-Hirth
TG-12 – Bowlus-DuPont
TG-13 – Briegleb
TG-14 – Stiglmeier
TG-15 – Franklin-Stevens
TG-16 – Schultz
TG-17 – Franklin
TG-18 – Midwest Sailplane
TG-19 – Jacobs-Schweyer
TG-20 – Laister-Kauffman
TG-21 – Notre Dame
TG-22 – Mehlhose
TG-23 – Harper-Corcoran
TG-24 – Bowlus-Dupont
TG-25 Plover – Wolcott
TG-26 – Universal
TG-27 – Schneider
TG-28 Hawk Junior – Haller
TG-29 – Volmer Jensen
TG-30 Bluebird – Smith
TG-31 – Aero Industries
TG-32 – Pratt-Read
TG-33 – Aeronca
Unified sequence, 1948–1955[edit]
G-2 – Ridgefield
G-3 – Waco
G-4 Hadrian – Waco
G-10 Trojan Horse – Laister-Kauffman
G-13 – Waco
G-14 – Chase
G-15 Hadrian – Waco
G-18 – Chase
G-20 – Chase
Sailplane, 1960–1962[edit]
S-1 – Schweizer
S-2 – Schweizer
Gyroplane, 1935–1939[edit]
G-1 – Kellett
G-2 – Pitcairn
Liaison, 1942–1962[edit]
L-1 Vigilant – Stinson
L-2 Grasshopper – Taylorcraft
L-3 Grasshopper – Aeronca
L-4 Grasshopper – Piper
L-5 Sentinel – Stinson (redesignated as U-19 in 1962)
L-6 Grasshopper – Interstate
L-7 – Universal
L-8 Cadet – Interstate
L-9 – Stinson
L-10 – Ryan
L-11 – Bellanca
L-12 Reliant – Stinson
L-13 – Stinson/Convair
L-14 Cub – Piper
L-15 Scout – Boeing
L-16 Champion – Aeronca
L-17 Navion – North American/Ryan (redesignated as U-18 in 1962)
L-18 Super Cub – Piper
L-19 Bird Dog – Cessna (redesignated as O-1 in 1962)
L-20 Beaver – de Havilland Canada (redesignated as U-6 in 1962)
L-21 Super Cub – Piper (redesignated as U-7 in 1962)
L-22 Navion – Ryan
L-23 Seminole – Beechcraft (redesignated as U-8 in 1962)
L-24 Courier – Helio (redesignated as U-24 in 1962)
L-25 – McDonnell (redesignated as XH-35, then XV-1)
L-26 Commander – Aero Design (redesignated as U-4 and U-9 in 1962)
L-27 – Cessna (redesignated as U-3 in 1962)
L-28 Super Courier – Helio (redesignated as U-10 in 1962)
Pursuit, 1924-1948/Fighter, 1948–1962[edit]

P-3 Hawk
Designated P- for "pursuit" until 1948, when the United States Air Force was founded. After this, all P- designations were changed to F- ("fighter"), but the original numbers were retained.
P-1 Hawk – Curtiss
P-2 Hawk – Curtiss
P-3 Hawk – Curtiss
P-4 – Boeing
P-5 Hawk – Curtiss
P-6 Hawk – Curtiss
P-7 – Boeing
P-8 – Boeing
P-9 – Boeing
P-10 – Curtiss
P-11 Hawk – Curtiss
P-12 – Boeing
P-13 Viper – Thomas-Morse
P-14 – Curtiss
P-15 – Boeing
P-16 – Berliner-Joyce
P-17 Hawk – Curtiss
P-18 – Curtiss
P-19 – Curtiss
P-20 – Curtiss
P-21 – Curtiss
P-22 Hawk – Curtiss
P-23 Hawk – Curtiss
P-24 – Lockheed
P-25 – Consolidated
P-26 Peashooter – Boeing

Boeing P-26
P-27 – Consolidated
P-28 – Consolidated
P-29 – Boeing
P-30 – Consolidated
P-31 Swift – Curtiss
P-32 – Boeing
P-33 – Consolidated
P-34 – Wedell-Williams
P-35 – Seversky
P-36 Hawk – Curtiss
P-37 – Curtiss
P-38 Lightning – Lockheed
P-39 Airacobra – Bell
P-400 - Royal Air Force Airacobra put into U.S. service before export
P-40 Warhawk – Curtiss
P-41 – Seversky
P-42 – Curtiss
P-43 Lancer – Republic
P-44 Rocket – Republic
P-45 – Bell
P-46 – Curtiss
P-47 Thunderbolt – Republic
P-48 – Douglas
P-49 – Lockheed
P-50 – Grumman
P-51 Mustang – North American

P-51H Mustang
P-52 – Bell
P-53 – Curtiss
P-54 Swoose Goose – Vultee
P-55 Ascender – Curtiss
P-56 Black Bullet – Northrop
P-57 Peashooter – Tucker
P-58 Chain Lightning – Lockheed
P-59 Airacomet – Bell
P-60 – Curtiss
P-61 Black Widow – Northrop
P-62 – Curtiss
P-63 Kingcobra – Bell
P-64 – North American
P-65 – Grumman
P-66 Vanguard – Vultee
P-67 Bat – McDonnell
P-68 Tornado – Vultee
P-69 – Republic
P-70 Nighthawk – Douglas
P-71 – Curtiss
P-72 – Republic
P-73 – Hughes (officially never assigned)
P-74 – skipped
P-75 Eagle – Fisher
P-76 – Bell
P-77 – Bell
P-78 – North American
P-79 – Northrop
F-80 Shooting Star – Lockheed
P-81 – Convair
F-82 Twin Mustang – North American
P-83 – Bell
F-84 Thunderjet – Republic
F-85 Goblin – McDonnell
F-86 Sabre – North American

F-86F Sabre
F-87 Blackhawk – Curtiss
F-88 Voodoo – McDonnell
F-89 Scorpion – Northrop
F-90 – Lockheed
F-91 Thunderceptor – Republic
F-92 – Convair
F-93 – North American
F-94 Starfire – Lockheed
F-95 – North American
F-96 – Republic
F-97 Starfire – Lockheed (redesignated as F-94C Starfire)
F-98 Falcon – Hughes (redesignated as GAR-1, then AIM-4)
F-99 BOMARC – Boeing (redesignated as IM-99, then CIM-10)
F-100 Super Sabre – North American
F-101 Voodoo – McDonnell
F-102 Delta Dagger – Convair
F-103 – Republic
F-104 Starfighter – Lockheed
F-105 Thunderchief – Republic
F-106 Delta Dart – Convair
F-107 – North American
F-108 Rapier – North American
F-109 – designation was reserved for the X-13 Vertijet, F-101B,[5] and Bell D-188A, but never officially assigned
F-110 Spectre – McDonnell Douglas (redesignated as F-4 in 1962)
F-111 Aardvark – General Dynamics
Unofficial designations YF-112 and up were later assigned to "black" projects – see Fighter series in Unified System.
Fighter, Multiplace[edit]
FM-1 Airacuda – Bell
FM-2 – Lockheed
Fighter[edit]
Sequence Name Manufacturer Image Notes/Notable Variants
F-1 Fury North American FJ-3M VF-121 in flight 1957.jpg (previously designated FJ-2, FJ-3 & FJ-4)
F-2 Banshee McDonnell F2H Banshee VF-11 over Wonsan colour 1952.jpg (previously designated F2H)
F-3 Demon McDonnell F3H VX-4 CVA-41.jpg (previously designated F3H)
F-4 Phantom II McDonnell Douglas F-4G Phantom II Wild Weasel carries AGM-78 and AGM-45.jpg (previously designated F4H and F-110)
F-5 Freedom Fighter Northrop Three F-5E agressors from Alconbury 1983.jpg
F-6 Skyray Douglas F4d skyray.jpg (previously designated F4D)
F-7 Sea Dart Convair XF2Y-1 off San Diego 1954-55 NAN1-81.jpg (previously designated F2Y)
F-8 Crusader Vought Vought F-8 Crusader 2.JPG (previously designated F8U)
F-9 Cougar Grumman F9F-6 NAN7-54.jpg (previously designated F9F-6)
F-10 Skyknight Douglas F3D-2 VMFN-513 Kunsan2 1953.jpg (previously designated F3D)
F-11 Tiger Grumman F11f grumman tiger.jpg (previously designated F11F)
F-12 Lockheed YF-12 on ground.jpg Two-seat Fighter version of the A-12 reconnaissance aircraft
F-14 Tomcat Grumman F-14-vf-84.jpg
F-15 Eagle McDonnell Douglas F-15, 71st Fighter Squadron, in flight.JPG
F-16 Fighting Falcon General Dynamics / Lockheed Martin F-16Cs South Carolina ANG in flight 1998.JPEG Winning contender in the LWF contest
F-17 Cobra Northrop Northrop YF-17 Cobra 060810-F-1234S-033.jpg Losing contender in the LWF contest, developed into the F/A-18 Hornet
F-18A/B/C/D Hornet McDonnell Douglas F-18s from VFMA-314 in formation.jpg Developed from the YF-17 as a shipboard fighter Attack aircraft
F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Boeing F-18F after launch from USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72).jpg Enlarged F/A-18 with bigger everything[3]
F-20 Tigershark Northrop Two f-20 in flying.jpg The ultimate Tiger development powered by a single F404 afterburning turbofan, but no production
F-21 Kfir C-2 Israel Aircraft Industries DN-ST-85-08601.jpg Kfir C2 aircraft for US Navy dissimilar combat training and aggressor training
F-22 Raptor Lockheed Martin Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor JSOH.jpg [3]
F-23 Black Widow II Northrop / McDonnell Douglas Cobrachen yf-23.jpg Lost out to the F-22 in competition
F-35 Lightning II Lockheed Martin CF-1 flight test.jpg Production version of the X-35, winner of the JSF competition[3]
YF-110 MiG-21s Mikoyan-Gurevich Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21PF USAF.jpg Note: Captured foreign aircraft used for evaluation and aggressor were given designations in sequence—based on chronology—with "black" project aircraft, continuing the pre-1962 F series.[68] Designation used for captured MiG-21s and new-build J-7s[69]
YF-112 Su-22 Sukhoi Su-20 RB3.jpg Note: Captured foreign aircraft used for evaluation and aggressor were given designations in sequence—based on chronology—with "black" project aircraft, continuing the pre-1962 F series.[68] – obtained from Egypt or Allegedly used for captured MiGs[69]
YF-113 MiG-23s Mikoyan-Gurevich Airforce Museum Berlin-Gatow 495.JPG Note: Captured foreign aircraft used for evaluation and aggressor were given designations in sequence—based on chronology—with "black" project aircraft, continuing the pre-1962 F series.[68] – Designation used for captured MiG-17s and[68][69]
YF-114 MiG-17 Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17F Top View.JPG Note: Captured foreign aircraft used for evaluation and aggressor were given designations in sequence—based on chronology—with "black" project aircraft, continuing the pre-1962 F series.[68] – Designation used for captured MiG-17s[69]
F-117 Nighthawk Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk Front.jpg Production version of the HAVE BLUE experimental stealth aircraft
F-117D Tacit Blue TACIT BLUE Tacit Blue in flight.jpg A stealth experimental aircraft[69]
Pursuit, Biplace[edit]
PB-1 – Berliner-Joyce
PB-2 – Consolidated
PB-3 – Lockheed
Observation[edit]
Observation, 1924–1942[edit]
O-1 Falcon – Curtiss
O-2 – Douglas
O-3 Mohawk – Dayton-Wright
O-4 – Martin
O-5 – Douglas
O-6 – Thomas-Morse
O-7 – Douglas
O-8 – Douglas
O-9 – Douglas
O-10 – Loening
O-11 Falcon – Curtiss
O-12 Falcon – Curtiss
O-13 Falcon – Curtiss
O-14 – Douglas
O-15 – Keystone
O-16 Falcon – Curtiss
O-17 Courier – Consolidated
O-18 Falcon – Curtiss
O-19 – Thomas-Morse
O-20 – Thomas-Morse
O-21 – Thomas-Morse
O-22 – Douglas
O-23 – Thomas-Morse
O-24 – Curtiss
O-25 – Douglas
O-26 – Curtiss
O-27 – Fokker
O-28 Corsair – Vought
O-29 – Douglas
O-30 – Curtiss
O-31 – Douglas
O-32 – Douglas
O-33 – Thomas-Morse
O-34 – Douglas
O-35 – Douglas
O-36 – Douglas
O-37 – Keystone
O-38 – Douglas
O-39 Falcon – Curtiss
O-40 Raven – Curtiss
O-41 – Thomas-Morse
O-42 – Thomas-Morse
O-43 – Douglas
O-44 – Douglas
O-45 – Martin
O-46 – Douglas
O-47 – North American
O-48 – Douglas
O-49 Vigilant – Stinson (redesignated as L-1 in 1942)
O-50 – Bellanca
O-51 Dragonfly – Ryan

YO-51 Dragonfly
O-52 Owl – Curtiss
O-53 Havoc – Douglas
O-54 – Stinson
O-55 – ERCO
O-56 Ventura – Lockheed
O-57 Grasshopper – Taylorcraft (redesignated as L-2 in 1942)
O-58 Grasshopper – Aeronca (redesignated as L-3 in 1942)
O-59 Grasshopper – Piper (redesignated as L-4 in 1942)
O-60 – Kellett
O-61 – Pitcairn
O-62 Sentinel – Stinson (redesignated as L-5 in 1942)
O-63 Grasshopper – Interstate (redesignated as XL-6 in 1942)
Observation amphibian, 1925–1948[edit]
OA-1 – Loening
OA-2 – Loening
OA-3 Dolphin – Douglas
OA-4 Dolphin – Douglas
OA-5 – Douglas
OA-6 – Consolidated
OA-7 – Douglas
OA-8 – Sikorsky
OA-9 Goose – Grumman
OA-10 Catalina – Consolidated
OA-11 – Sikorsky
OA-12 Duck – Grumman
OA-13 Goose – Grumman
OA-14 Widgeon – Grumman
OA-15 Seabee – Republic

I guess y'all can keep picking out unique planes to make your point. This is the only thing I was trying to say which got everyone's panties in a wad. Looks pretty clear to me.

Type I: Pursuit, water-cooled[edit]
[snip happened]

I guess y'all can keep picking out unique planes to make your point. This is the only thing I was trying to say which got everyone's panties in a wad. Looks pretty clear to me.

What looks clear to you? That you want The F-35 to be an air dominance platform when it is marketed as a multi-role aircraft? Okay, fine, to you it's an air dominance platform. The rest of the world knows it isn't.

You considered that a snarky comment?

seriously?
Well, I guess it was only mildly snarky compared to what has been going on. So I probably should have held my tongue.

But I have been getting more and more disappointed with all the nastiness that has been permeating what should be civil discussions on this board. It seems nobody can make a comment without someone calling them a freaking idiot because they were able to think of an exception to their comment. Your comment just hit me at the wrong time in the wrong way. Sorry.

And where are the helicopters. :dunno: You're gonna need a bigger list.

Rotary wing 1941–1948 and helicopter 1948–present[edit]
In 1941, the category letter R- was allotted for "rotary wing" aircraft, and this designation was used until the founding of the United States Air Force in 1947, at which point the category letter was changed to H-, for "helicopter". However, the original numbering sequence was retained.
In 1962 when the Unified Designation System was adopted, six former Navy and Army types received new designations in the H-1 to H-6 series, which can be found here. However, the original sequence was also continued, and remains in use to the present, with the next designation available being H-73.
R-1 – Platt-LePage
R-2 – Kellett
R-3 – Kellett
R-4 Hoverfly – Sikorsky
R-5/H-5 Dragonfly – Sikorsky
R-6 Hoverfly II – Sikorsky
R-7 – Sikorsky
XR-8 Kellett
R-9/H-9 – Firestone
R-10/H-10 – Kellett
R-11/H-11 – Rotorcraft
R-12/H-12 – Bell
R-13/H-13 Sioux – Bell
R-14 – Firestone
R-15/H-15 – Bell
R-16/H-16 – Piasecki
XR-17/XH-17 – Hughes/Kellett
YH-18 – Sikorsky
H-19 – Sikorsky
XH-20 Little Henry – McDonnell
H-21 – Piasecki
H-22 – Kaman
OH-23 Raven – Hiller
YH-24 – Seibel
H-25 – Piasecki
XH-26 Jet Jeep – American Helicopter
YH-27 Transporter – Piasecki
XH-28 – Hughes
H-29 – McDonnell
YH-30 – McCulloch
YH-31 – Doman
YH-32 – Hiller
XH-33 – Bell (redesignated as XV-3)
H-34 Choctaw – Sikorsky
XH-35 – McDonnell (redesignated as XV-1)
H-36 – reserved for secret project LONG EARS
H-37 Mojave – Sikorsky
H-38 – reserved for secret project SHORT TAIL
XH-39 – Sikorsky
XH-40 – Bell
YH-41 Seneca – Cessna
XH-42 – Hughes
H-43 Huskie – Kaman
H-44 – reserved for secret project BIG TOM
H-45 – reserved for secret project STEP CHILD
H-46 Sea Knight – Boeing Vertol
H-47 Chinook – Boeing Vertol
XH-48 – Bell (redesignated as UH-1F)
XH-49 – Boeing Vertol (redesignated as XCH-46B)
H-50 DASH – Gyrodyne

Lockheed XH-51
XH-51 – Lockheed
H-52 Sea Guard – Sikorsky
H-53 – Sikorsky
MH-53 Pave Low
CH-53E Super Stallion
CH-53K Super Stallion[3]
H-54 Tarhe – Sikorsky
H-55 Osage – Hughes
H-56 Cheyenne – Lockheed
H-57 Sea Ranger – Bell
H-58 Kiowa – Bell
XH-59 – Sikorsky
H-60 Black Hawk – Sikorsky
SH-60 Seahawk
HH-60 Pave Hawk
HH-60 Jayhawk
YH-61 – Boeing Vertol
XH-62 – Boeing Vertol
YH-63 Kingcobra – Bell
H-64 Apache – Hughes
H-65 Dolphin – Aérospatiale
H-66 Comanche – Boeing/Sikorsky
H-67 Creek – Bell
H-68 Stingray – Agusta[3]
H-69 – skipped
H-70 – Bell[3]
H-71 Kestrel – Lockheed Martin[3]
H-72 Lakota – Eurocopter[3]

G-1 – Kellett
G-2 – Pitcairn

I tossed in the gyroplane, but before you go all pear shaped 'I KNOW IT'S NOT A HELICOPTER'. Just saving keystrokes.

Rotary wing 1941–1948 and helicopter 1948–present[edit]
In 1941, the category letter R- was allotted for "rotary wing" aircraft, and this designation was used until the founding of the United States Air Force in 1947, at which point the category letter was changed to H-, for "helicopter". However, the original numbering sequence was retained.
In 1962 when the Unified Designation System was adopted, six former Navy and Army types received new designations in the H-1 to H-6 series, which can be found here. However, the original sequence was also continued, and remains in use to the present, with the next designation available being H-73.
R-1 – Platt-LePage
R-2 – Kellett
R-3 – Kellett
R-4 Hoverfly – Sikorsky
R-5/H-5 Dragonfly – Sikorsky
R-6 Hoverfly II – Sikorsky
R-7 – Sikorsky
XR-8 Kellett
R-9/H-9 – Firestone
R-10/H-10 – Kellett
R-11/H-11 – Rotorcraft
R-12/H-12 – Bell
R-13/H-13 Sioux – Bell
R-14 – Firestone
R-15/H-15 – Bell
R-16/H-16 – Piasecki
XR-17/XH-17 – Hughes/Kellett
YH-18 – Sikorsky
H-19 – Sikorsky
XH-20 Little Henry – McDonnell
H-21 – Piasecki
H-22 – Kaman
OH-23 Raven – Hiller
YH-24 – Seibel
H-25 – Piasecki
XH-26 Jet Jeep – American Helicopter
YH-27 Transporter – Piasecki
XH-28 – Hughes
H-29 – McDonnell
YH-30 – McCulloch
YH-31 – Doman
YH-32 – Hiller
XH-33 – Bell (redesignated as XV-3)
H-34 Choctaw – Sikorsky
XH-35 – McDonnell (redesignated as XV-1)
H-36 – reserved for secret project LONG EARS
H-37 Mojave – Sikorsky
H-38 – reserved for secret project SHORT TAIL
XH-39 – Sikorsky
XH-40 – Bell
YH-41 Seneca – Cessna
XH-42 – Hughes
H-43 Huskie – Kaman
H-44 – reserved for secret project BIG TOM
H-45 – reserved for secret project STEP CHILD
H-46 Sea Knight – Boeing Vertol
H-47 Chinook – Boeing Vertol
XH-48 – Bell (redesignated as UH-1F)
XH-49 – Boeing Vertol (redesignated as XCH-46B)
H-50 DASH – Gyrodyne

Lockheed XH-51
XH-51 – Lockheed
H-52 Sea Guard – Sikorsky
H-53 – Sikorsky
MH-53 Pave Low
CH-53E Super Stallion
CH-53K Super Stallion[3]
H-54 Tarhe – Sikorsky
H-55 Osage – Hughes
H-56 Cheyenne – Lockheed
H-57 Sea Ranger – Bell
H-58 Kiowa – Bell
XH-59 – Sikorsky
H-60 Black Hawk – Sikorsky
SH-60 Seahawk
HH-60 Pave Hawk
HH-60 Jayhawk
YH-61 – Boeing Vertol
XH-62 – Boeing Vertol
YH-63 Kingcobra – Bell
H-64 Apache – Hughes
H-65 Dolphin – Aérospatiale
H-66 Comanche – Boeing/Sikorsky
H-67 Creek – Bell
H-68 Stingray – Agusta[3]
H-69 – skipped
H-70 – Bell[3]
H-71 Kestrel – Lockheed Martin[3]
H-72 Lakota – Eurocopter[3]

G-1 – Kellett
G-2 – Pitcairn

I tossed in the gyroplane, but before you go all pear shaped 'I KNOW IT'S NOT A HELICOPTER'. Just saving keystrokes.

Total miss on the Cobra and Huey, but hey, "Whatever" you say it is.

Back