F-35 and KC-130 Tanker Collide 9/30

Landed in a carrot field, and now we know where the phrase "bought the farm" came from lol...

Screen-Shot-2020-09-29-at-11.01.16-PM.png

Deciding when to pop out of a > $70 million dollar airplane must be a difficult task.

Must have been a fun ride, see no props or engine cover on #4, missing blade tips on #1.

C-130 piloted reported loosing 3 & 4, which is apparent in that photo of no props on the right side. The refueling pod is missing from the left wing and dumping fuel on the ground, that will be a nice cleanup bill. Prop also damaged on #1, don't know if that is impact damage from the F-35 or from hitting the ground.

Good job on the part of the -130 crew holding it together and getting down in one piece. As Seanaldinho said, the recreation on this will be interesting. How did one F-35 cause damage on both sides of the -130?

Deciding when to pop out of a > $70 million dollar airplane must be a difficult task.

Tragically it often is when it shouldn't be. Far too many folks pull too late and I know of virtually zero cases where qualified aircrew stepped outside when they shouldn't have. We were often put in the situation in the sim where pulling the handle was the right answer to try and educate us into "know when to go".

Heck of a job by the C-130 crew.

Tragically it often is when it shouldn't be. Far too many folks pull too late and I know of virtually zero cases where qualified aircrew stepped outside when they shouldn't have. We were often put in the situation in the sim where pulling the handle was the right answer to try and educate us into "know when to go".

Heck of a job by the C-130 crew.
I kinda agree, and kinda disagree. A plane like that can make quite a crater in whatever it hits.... It should be a "little" difficult, unless you're over a test range or the ocean.

As Seanaldinho said, the recreation on this will be interesting. How did one F-35 cause damage on both sides of the -130?

I'm guessing the fueling hose had some kind of loose firehose reaction and whipped around to get caught in the blades on at least one side. That would explain 3 and 4, then something knocked off the refueling pod on the far left side so that damage might have been caused by the 35 itself.

Just one guess at what could've really been anything. For the people local to that area, do you see a lot of migratory birds? A flock of geese could've created a nasty situation that led to all of this and it's that time of year. The aircraft were operating right next to a sizable lake.

I kinda agree, and kinda disagree. A plane like that can make quite a crater in whatever it hits.... It should be a "little" difficult, unless you're over a test range or the ocean.

I remember my first ride in the back seat of an F-14. The pilot said “When it’s time to eject, I’ll call ‘EJECT EJECT EJECT’. You won’t hear the second and third because I’ll be gone.” Standard Pre Flight Brief. When it’s time to go, it’s time to go.

Cheers

No one is giving one back to the taxpayers unless there are no alternatives. It's the action of last resort but understanding that line between savable and not savable is the the trick. It's not like the movies and there is virtually a 100% chance you'll get hurt at least a little in anything but a controlled ejection and catastrophic injuries in an out of control jet are highly likely. Of course, dead is worse. :D

I'm guessing the fueling hose had some kind of loose firehose reaction and whipped around to get caught in the blades on at least one side. That would explain 3 and 4, then something knocked off the refueling pod on the far left side so that damage might have been caused by the 35 itself.

Just one guess at what could've really been anything. For the people local to that area, do you see a lot of migratory birds? A flock of geese could've created a nasty situation that led to all of this and it's that time of year. The aircraft were operating right next to a sizable lake.

One theory I've had, the damage on the right side was caused by the fighter and brought the plane down. The damage on the left side could have been caused by being wing low in the emergency landing, getting the outboard prop and refueling pod.

VASAviation already found the radio calls. I can only hope to sound this calm if I ever report a engine out with damage and possible fire.

I wonder what the hazmat cleanup at the F35 site must be like?

I thought the controller giving him a phone number was a little unnecessary

I thought the controller giving him a phone number was a little unnecessary
To be fair, they don’t know everything. Probably thought they were going to make the landing at thermal and if they did there would be no reason to send out SAR.

I've wondered this in SR22.. you are not sure what/who you're going to land on. If you bail out of a jet man that thing could cause a lot of damage on the ground. I guess that's why these guys practice in MOAs which tend to have very little population underneath

I was once climbing out and happened to glance down at my leg where a big bumblebee was hanging out. I couldn’t decide whether I should try to smash him or leave him be, but I knew if I missed and he started flying around, crashing/ejecting couldn’t be ruled out. I ended up turning the ECS to very cold, then smashed him.

Good to see everyone is OK can’t imagine what a ride the C130 crew had. New flight suits all around.

Back