F-22, F-15, P-51 formation

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
from an email today.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Here are some cool shots of Langley's 2nd F-22 Raptor, along with an F-15 Eagle and Lee Lauderback's P-51D " Crazy Horse ". I know the Tyndall tail code is still on the Raptor, but that is due to be changed to FF shortly. In order to get these photos, all I can say, it pays to have friends in "high" places."

Nice photos, Greg. Thanks!

Neat pics Greg. Thanks. I saw a program recently that ranked the F-22 relatively low (10 in the top 10) of fighters of all time due to its cost. The rationale was that the F-15 is still fine for our needs and the F-22 is overkill considering its cost and competition we face around the world.

Personally, I always like to see technological advancement, but it does beg the question, do we need the F-22 considering the incredible superiority we have in air combat worldwide. The last time we were seriously challenged in the air by competing fighters was Vietnam or maybe even Korea before the F-86 was introduced.

Anthony said:
Neat pics Greg. Thanks. I saw a program recently that ranked the F-22 relatively low (10 in the top 10) of fighters of all time due to its cost. The rationale was that the F-15 is still fine for our needs and the F-22 is overkill considering its cost and competition we face around the world.

Personally, I always like to see technological advancement, but it does beg the question, do we need the F-22 considering the incredible superiority we have in air combat worldwide. The last time we were seriously challenged in the air by competing fighters was Vietnam or maybe even Korea before the F-86 was introduced.

Our F-15s, facing the most modern Russian fighters, just got their butts handed to them by a squadron of Indian pilots. The F-15 was hideously expensive when it came out, which is the whole reason the F-16 came into being, but it was put into service to insure that our Air Force had the finest air superiority fighter in the world. 30 years ago it was just that. Now, while it's still a good fighter, but there are several that can beat it. The Air Force's job is to dominate the sky so Americans lose as few lives as possible in war. An air superiority fighter that is just "OK" doesn't cut it, and isn't the reason we haven't been seriously in the air for 3 decades is that we had the best fighter out there. Now we don't, and it's time to fix that, IMHO.

Joe Williams said:
Our F-15s, facing the most modern Russian fighters, just got their butts handed to them by a squadron of Indian pilots.

When and where was this Joe? I've not heard of any F-15's being beaten by the Indian Air Force. What Russian fighter is better than an F-15? Sukhoi SU-27?

Anthony said:
When and where was this Joe? I've not heard of any F-15's being beaten by the Indian Air Force. What Russian fighter is better than an F-15? Sukhoi SU-27?

Within the last year or so, during exercises in India. I'll have to google to see if I can find some articles on it.

Back