F-16 Crashes in Bagdad

Hope for a good outcome for the pilot.

Well now, looks like even the military will blame the pilots when they need an out.

"So did an instructor pilot and a student pilot in June 2013 after their two-seat F-16 hit several birds during takeoff from Luke. The jet crashed in a farm field.

An Air Force investigation report said the instructor pilot was at fault because he made a rapid climbing turn after the bird strike, robbing the plane of airspeed and the ability to recover and return to the base."

Never mind two pilots saved and flying the jet to a safe crash location after a catastrophic bird strike...... It was all the pilots fault. Ingesting a flock of birds was completely avoidable immediately after take off and he should kicked that ***** sidways and daintilly dropped it back on the airfield.. :rolleyes2:

Well now, looks like even the military will blame the pilots when they need an out.

"So did an instructor pilot and a student pilot in June 2013 after their two-seat F-16 hit several birds during takeoff from Luke. The jet crashed in a farm field.

An Air Force investigation report said the instructor pilot was at fault because he made a rapid climbing turn after the bird strike, robbing the plane of airspeed and the ability to recover and return to the base."

Never mind two pilots saved and flying the jet to a safe crash location after a catastrophic bird strike...... It was all the pilots fault. Ingesting a flock of birds was completely avoidable immediately after take off and he should kicked that ***** sidways and daintilly dropped it back on the airfield.. :rolleyes2:

I don't know about a way out. Almost every military report on accidents with instructors reads "IP failed to take corrective action when..." Just the burden of being a military IP.

That's ridiculous………that's exactly what I would do in that scenario…..its right there in the -1. Zoom climb, and if you can't get on a 1:1 to a runway or restart the motor (probably not in this case), you pull the handle. I say that as a guy who has taken a bird down the intake in an F-16 which destroyed my only good motor in the process. Luckily for me, that happened at 50 feet AGL on short final. These guys weren't so lucky, and there is really nothing else you can do in that scenario, other than trade airspeed for altitude to give yourself the safest ejection if a runway can't be made. Don't know the specifics of that one, but unless you are either up high (not where bird strikes normally happen) or are literally over the runway with at least 350 knots, you aren't landing.

Last edited:

So they sucked in some birds...if they had landed in a river near downtown, floated with the current a little ways, stood on the wing waiting for a boat rescue, and the media got some good shots, they would have been national heros?

Nah, that would never happen.

Back to this crash, apparently it was a Taiwan F-16 fighter pilot training out of Luke AFB. Presumed dead is the latest I've read. Luke trains many countries pilots due to the availability of airspace. RIP.

Back