F-14A Avionics

Unless you can somehow tally up all the simulated engagements between the two, there's no way of telling which is a better aircraft.
Unless the airplanes have identical missions, identical tasking, identical ROE, identical threats, and identical aircrew there will be no "better" aircraft from any statistical survey. What's a better airplane, a 747 or a Piper Cub? Depends on what you need to do with it and where/when.

Nauga,
trying to keep his porcupine lit

Last edited:
Well any self respecting F-14 fan has the VHS and DVD documentary on AIMVAL / ACEVAL. :D

To summarize, the F-14s essentially kicked butt. Of course there's the famous picture if Joe "Hoser" Satrapa's HUD of an F-15's canopy square in the cross hairs.

I think the F-14 vs F-15 is an apples to oranges comparison. Both had teething pains early on but both turned out to be outstanding fighters. Unless you can somehow tally up all the simulated engagements between the two, there's no way of telling which is a better aircraft. Of course the F-15s actual combat record speaks for itself.

I didn't know there was such a thing...might I find it on any streaming services?
This I found interesting:
http://combatace.com/blog/5/entry-33-acevalaimval-lessons-learned/

I was fortunate to get a couple of rides as a F-14 RIO including traps aboard the Enterprise back in the day. I also did some sim time with night pitching deck and hit the fantail twice, the island once and one OK Three. :D
Closest I ever came to a hop was sitting in the back seat during a night engine turn troubleshooting compressor stalls (a TF30, who'da thunk?!) watching everything light up in the warm glow of the fireballs :hairraise:. Also shot a handful of Phoenix and Sparrows in the WST, but that was a lifetime ago and not much different from a very expensive video game.

Nauga,
the opportunist

Last edited:
Back