F‐4 Blue Angels Panel

SoonerAviator

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
SoonerAviator
Pretty neat discussion from team members during the transition into the F-4. Some pretty humorous stories about learning to fly the F-4 and the changes they made to the aircraft in order to adapt it to flight show duty.

First time I saw the Blue Angels was 1969 at KEFD and F-4s less then three miles from the house…this was way cool as I was eight at the time…I could Ride to the backside of Ellington from the house…nothing but open fields between our house the last in the subdivision and the field…

Just watched that the other day. Great stuff. He’s about the only YT channel that I watch regularly. The stories those guys tell and the lives they’ve lived on the demo teams are amazing.

Just watched that the other day. Great stuff. He’s about the only YT channel that I watch regularly. The stories those guys tell and the lives they’ve lived on the demo teams are amazing.

I was just amazed at the background of that team having all had extensive combat and several having been downed. Makes for a lot of hard-earned experience in the cockpit and likely some world-class troubleshooting ability when it was needed.

I was just amazed at the background of that team having all had extensive combat and several having been downed. Makes for a lot of hard-earned experience in the cockpit and likely some world-class troubleshooting ability when it was needed.

I don’t know if you’ve seen Blue Angel Threshold but it’s a good documentary into the F-4 experience. The high altitude show in Ecuador in particular.

I don’t know if you’ve seen Blue Angel Threshold but it’s a good documentary into the F-4 experience. The high altitude show in Ecuador in particular.

I haven't, I'll have to look that up. Amazing that they ran into meaningful loss of power/performance in an aircraft like a F-4 when doing airshows at high-altitude locations. As a non-mil guy, the idea just seems foreign that they use so much of the available performance in a show routine that it would come into play at higher altitudes. I have an uncle who flew the F-4 in Vietnam doing recon, but I've never really asked him much about flying the aircraft in general. I did run around the house a bunch with one of his flight helmets on as a kid. Flipping the clear and smoked visors down was a blast, lol.

I haven't, I'll have to look that up. Amazing that they ran into meaningful loss of power/performance in an aircraft like a F-4 when doing airshows at high-altitude locations. As a non-mil guy, the idea just seems foreign that they use so much of the available performance in a show routine that it would come into play at higher altitudes. I have an uncle who flew the F-4 in Vietnam doing recon, but I've never really asked him much about flying the aircraft in general. I did run around the house a bunch with one of his flight helmets on as a kid. Flipping the clear and smoked visors down was a blast, lol.

You can order the DVD on Amazon if you don’t want to see subtitles at the bottom.

Blue Angles were still flying the A-4 when I was stationed at NAS Pensacola. I worked on the engine. It had 4 fuel nozzles per burner can. Watched them practice many times. Very cool

Good tales and the F-4 could be a handful as I’ve been told.

Cheers

thanks for posting that.
I enjoyed hearing brief mention of the 1st show I ever saw them fly. I was just a young tike...if it was 1971, would have been about 4-1/2 years old. Dad was stationed in Hawaii & I have fuzzy memories of seeing that show. I think we saw the T-Birds while there too...could that have been a joint show?
Does anyone know where in HI that show was? I've searched google and I'm coming up short.....

When I was four, the Blues flew their F-4s in a show near us. We didn’t go, but the solos flew over our home a few times, going low and loud. Definitely made a lifelong impression on me, standing out in the yard, watching what is still one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

Should have watched that second film, Threshold, before my earlier post. Obvious the HI show was over Waikiki.

I live inside the Moffett airport pattern in Sunnyvale. I’m more impressed with the Blue Angels than the Thunderbirds.

Back