Eyesight Improvement

Piloto

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Piloto
I have noticed that since my 60s my eyesight has improved to the point of not needing eyeglasses for reading, driving or flying. In fact it is worse when I put my glasses on. Is this a sign of something to come. I heard of others having similar experience.

José

Jose, you get more and more farsighted with age, but as you lose the ability to accomodate (change focal range), more and more of us need help reading menus, charts, maps etc in close.....

How is your blood sugars? Any risk of diabetes?

When I was going through the pre-diabetes stage, the rampant sugar levels really messed with my eyesight causing both far and near vision issues. Turns out the liquid in your eyes is sensitive high blood sugar and can cause a slight change in the shape of the eye and cornea, causing your lens to not focus on your retina correctly.

Once I got my blood sugar under control, my vision came back to normal.

There could be other areas to investigate, but do put high blood sugars on your list to check out.

I have noticed that since my 60s my eyesight has improved to the point of not needing eyeglasses for reading, driving or flying. In fact it is worse when I put my glasses on. Is this a sign of something to come. I heard of others having similar experience.
I have also heard of others having this experience but I guess I'm not old enough yet. :dunno:

I still have crappy far vision and my near vision is getting worse.

Blood sugar is a good question.

Also, the other post is correct that there is same change in vision with age and it means that a nearsighted person may become less nearsighted. I'm talking about distance vision. Farsightedness also refers to distance vision so a person with farsightedness may become more farsighted.

Also, there is some changes in the lens....cataracts.....which can change a prescription. Usually a cataract will make a person go more nearsighted....just the opposite of going in the farsighted direction.

Another possibility is that the pupil size changes as we age. The pupils become more miotic....smaller.....which helps vision at distance and near. It's like squinting without the squint.

Blood sugar is a good question.

Also, the other post is correct that there is same change in vision with age and it means that a nearsighted person may become less nearsighted. I'm talking about distance vision. Farsightedness also refers to distance vision so a person with farsightedness may become more farsighted.

Also, there is some changes in the lens....cataracts.....which can change a prescription. Usually a cataract will make a person go more nearsighted....just the opposite of going in the farsighted direction.

Another possibility is that the pupil size changes as we age. The pupils become more miotic....smaller.....which helps vision at distance and near. It's like squinting without the squint.

I never knew that the pupils became smaller. I assume that explains why your night vision gets worse with age?

You're right about night vision being affected by pupil size. Obviously the smaller the hole the less light goes through. I wouldn't accuse pupil size causing reduced night vision because at night our pupils normally do dilate some. The changes in the lens might be more to blame in reducing contrast sensitivity (cataracts) but pupils might be some small part of the equation....and that varies on the individual.

Jose, you get more and more farsighted with age, but as you lose the ability to accomodate (change focal range), more and more of us need help reading menus, charts, maps etc in close.....

This is exactly what I heard from others but I have no problem on reading magazines. In fact two days ago while flying with my glasses I had problem reading the temp/altitude setting window for TAS indication. I took off my glasses and I was surprised how clearly I could read the window without them. One off my concerns is that the glasses has protected my eyes from flying debris when working in the shop or even during landscape triming activities. I also noticed that the floaters are less annoying now. Hope the rest of my body follows my eyes.

José

Go see someone (optometrist or ophthalmologist) to verify your current refraction and to check you for cataracts. Gradual improvement of near vision may be the result of myopic shift due to the cataracts influence on the density of your natural lens. This can happen earlier than you would expect. Ever done much welding/brazing, worked with radioactive substances or spent a lot of time flying behind plexi windows without UV protective shades ?

Go see someone (optometrist or ophthalmologist) to verify your current refraction and to check you for cataracts. Gradual improvement of near vision may be the result of myopic shift due to the cataracts influence on the density of your natural lens. This can happen earlier than you would expect. Ever done much welding/brazing, worked with radioactive substances or spent a lot of time flying behind plexi windows without UV protective shades ?

Good idea, I am due for an optic exam. I guess good things don't come without some pain. You took away my excitement, but thanks.

José

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back