Eyes and reading glasses

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Last year I started to need to use reading glasses from time to time. At my last FAA medical I could not pass the eye test without them and now carry the restriction to have glasses with me at all times. I have also noticed these past couple of months that I need them to read in restaurants or when I first wake up.

I understand that as one ages the ability of the lens in our eyes to deform and focus is affected and thus is the reason we need glasses. But why is it that first thing in the morning my near vision is really bad but then about two hours later it gets much better? I start off having to have glasses on while I am at the computer but then will take them off after a time.

Mine does pretty much the same thing. I think it has something to do with the pressure in your eye from being prone for a time. After you are upright for a while, it returns to your "normal" daytime poor vision. Mine started at 44 years old and has steadily deteriorated for 10 years. I understand the rate of progression will taper off later. I hope so.

Mine does pretty much the same thing. I think it has something to do with the pressure in your eye from being prone for a time. After you are upright for a while, it returns to your "normal" daytime poor vision. Mine started at 44 years old and has steadily deteriorated for 10 years. I understand the rate of progression will taper off later. I hope so.

After about 60, my eyesight began to improve. Surprise!

The condition is called presbyopia. Fiber cells of the lens continue to proliferate over time. By the time you hit your old-fart hood, they have become sufficiently numerous to make the lens stiff, restricting its ability to focus on nearby objects. Sucks getting old, but beats the alternative.

After about 60, my eyesight began to improve. Surprise!
Yeah, my folks went through years and years of reading glasses, and now that they are 83 and 82 years old, they both read the newspaper everyday without glasses. They laugh at me, too when I get my Wal-Mart glasses to look at my watch....:mad3:

i spend probably 80% or better of my waking hours not wearing my dumb glasses anyway.

I was in the shower recently lathering my hair when I realized I had mine on!!:yikes:

My dog keeps taking mine.

myZL4NEWzlxv9hp971N4A33Bo1_400.jpg

Trapper John

I bought a bunch of the inexpensive pharmacy bifocals when they were on sale 2-for-1. I'm pretty sure I have a pair in every room now, as well as in the pockets of most of my jackets.

-Rich

Yea, just no brains.:mad2:

One of my college profs, a guy who was balding like me, told me that you can't have hair and brains both. It would be nice to have at least one of them, though:smile:

Dan

Unfortunately, I got bifocals at 24.
My doc says my next exam will probably lead to trifocals.
I'm 41.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back