Extreme sports?

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Okay I'll try to make this simple question. What other hobbies/activities do you enjoy OUTSIDE the house?

People at work (those people not willing to go flying with me think it's REALLY cool and interesting almost daredevilish) One girl said she's going to put together a list of things she'd never do to see if I'd be willing to. I can't wait to see the list. But now that I have the PPL under my belt maybe I should find some other "extreme" activity to put on my bucket list. (Yeah I'm going to focus on flying for a bit but this topic is on my mind now so I thought I'd toss it out to you fine PoA'ers. The question make sense?

Dunno if they're extreme but:
long distance running -- marathons/ultra-marathons (30mi+), rock climbing (hardest I can do is 5.11a TR/5.10b sport/5.9 Trad), skydiving (still training, no license, but it's one of my crazy things).

Anyone on here do Okie Noodling? I'd classify that as an extreme sport.

Roller skating (as in, at a roller rink, in circles). Didn't really love roller derby but I attended practices and was going to be a ref. I have all the gear for both figure skating and derby.

Roller blading (as in, outdoors, going wherever). Several pairs of roller blades. Was going to try hockey but the nearest ice rink is hours away.

Photography. Nothing serious, no photoshop or anything. Took a class and have since forgotten how to develop a black and white negative in a darkroom. All digital now.

Horseback riding. Not much anymore, the rental places only let you walk. Took dressage lessons, some western camps with barrel racing, some trail riding.

Dogs - training, psychology, etc. Went to a dog school unable to finish, volunteer as a trainer's assistant in night classes for new owners at the local humane society.

Animals in general - not a hobby, more of a fascination. Books, documentaries, visits to santuaries, even swimming with dolphins / mock dolphin training in Vallejo, CA.

Motorcycles (not currently). Have owned 1 dirt bike and 2 sport bikes.

Snowmobiles (current). Have PIC'd 10 different ones so far. Mostly all day / long rides, even in blizzards and rough conditions, even night rides with steep cliff drop offs.

Boating. BF owns an 18 foot boat, I've driven it / towed him (wakeboard). Boss has a small yacht / sailboat. We've sailed 3 times and he asks us to start the motor, raise / lower sails, jump off and help with the lines and cleats, etc. I've kneeboarded but wasn't able to get up on a wakeboard.

Water "stuff" - body surfing in HI, swimming in lakes and pools, I am SCUBA certified for life but never went, kayaking / canoe / floating down the river in tubes / etc.

Hiking / walking / running.

Outdoor stuff like camping or hunting. Guns not so much yet but I'm learning.

Cars, though mine sucks. I watch Top Gear every day and just like cars in general.

I rollerblade. Wine taste a bunch. I have an aviation podcast. And I do different types of flying. I fly acro for a hobby, but also fly for a living.

Aviation related:
Soaring: Did it a lot in the mid 90's but gave it up due to living too far away from a gliderport. Hope to return soon as I have my PPL to fly to gliderport..:wink2:

Hangliding: switched from Soaring since it was so much more accessible to home. In some ways I like it better for being able to fly close to terrain. Dislike it it some ways as in many respects we dont have as much controll of the HG all the time as we think.. Can definately bite you in the butt.

Non Aviation:

Rock Climbing: Changed my life..what else can I say... I will do this for the rest of my life...:wink2:

Back Country Snowboarding

Mtn Biking

Sailing

Backpacking

Many other items I dont do as often but the list would be huge if I added them...

Marc

Does beer drinking count as extreme? Oh and speaking of extreme, I did go to an indoor skydiving place once. We "flew" for about 30 minutes, split up into 1-3 minute runs.

Soaring now. When I was young, I was a bull rider in rodeos for a couple of years.

Okay I'll try to make this simple question. What other hobbies/activities do you enjoy OUTSIDE the house?

Probably not extreme, but I'm not an adrenaline junky:

Target shooting (pistol and rifle) - definitely don't want this activity to be considered an extreme sport.

Motorcyle

People at work (those people not willing to go flying with me think it's REALLY cool and interesting almost daredevilish) One girl said she's going to put together a list of things she'd never do to see if I'd be willing to. I can't wait to see the list. But now that I have the PPL under my belt maybe I should find some other "extreme" activity to put on my bucket list. (Yeah I'm going to focus on flying for a bit but this topic is on my mind now so I thought I'd toss it out to you fine PoA'ers. The question make sense?

On a regular basis, I ride horses and play hockey.

Golf. Wine tasting with wife and friends. I used to rock climb, and still do from time to time. I like to work/tinker with my car. I mow the lawn, trim the bushes. Stuff like that. :lol:

Did this for three years.

Attachments

• 37ford_sedan_sm.jpg
    37ford_sedan_sm.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 8
Downhill Skiing

Sailing

Hiking

Camping

I think the closest to extreme I've done is play college Rugby. But I don't consider any of this extreme.

I tempt fate every time I get one of these three wheeled contraptions...I love my 250r

4239736778_362e7c964c.jpg

Jumped out of a plane for my 18th. Would make it a habit if I had the money.

Driving in snowstorms?

Posting questions on PoA?

Rush hour traffic with idiots who's personal schedules are more important than their lives?

Ha.

I'll try just about anything but don't necessarily go out of my way to do them.

What's "extreme"? With proper training and gear it's just taking an additional calculated risk. Just like flying.

When I think "extreme" I don't buy the marketing version / X-Games version to sell skateboarders energy drinks.

I've snow skied both in and out of bounds, water skied, climbed big mountains (non-technical but would do technical if I had the time and wanted to go with someone good enough to teach), run around the track driving other's race cars, could be convinced to jump out of a perfectly good plane, I got suckered into climbing big radio towers and hanging antennas since I was the "young guy" on the radio club's tech team... yadda yadda...

I don't see any of them as "extreme".

A friend regularly does multi-week canoe trips north of the Arctic Circle where they pretty much have to catch fish along the way or they're going to be 40 lbs lighter by the time they paddle their way back to civilization. His stern man is 60+ years old. There isn't a medical facility for hundreds of miles. They plan meticulously and still come back with stories. That might be "extreme". :dunno:

I'm not an ocean-goer much and I find the middle of the ocean in bad weather relatively extreme. Without proper training and experience anyway. Henning's level of comfort would probably exceed mine. :)

Another friend and his wife were doing tons of paragliding. They both had crashes, she crashed in a foreign country and gave herself six months of rehab for the back injury incurred. Later they had an acquaintance killed and realized as they talked to other students that their instructor's students were often pushed into situations well beyond their abilities. That's pretty "extreme" and they didn't even know it. :)

I don't see hiring a professional to take you one time to do something "extreme" I guess. Most really extreme stuff gets dangerous when unpredictable weather is involved. Plenty of dead pro and amateur climbers alike, frozen in their tracks on Everest...

Skiing (alpine)
Backpacking/hiking
Running (I have done a couple of marathons, but mostly 1/2s now)
Scuba
I used to rock climb quite a bit, but not so much anymore
Some kayaking
Some mountain biking

Hmmm... nothing I'd call "extreme". Most of it not by a long shot, in fact. But most of what I do, or my wife and I together, are things most people either don't or won't.

We ride our touring bike cross country from time to time, often towing a cargo trailer for all the luggage, leathers, cooler, etc. We've ranged from CO & WY to NC & SC. Been baked, fried, soaked, hailed on and nearly blown away. Next on my list is Yellowstone, Momma wants to go see friends in Phoenix. I'd much rather fly.

I'm a ham radio operator. In some ways it's a lot like being a pilot, but without even a shred of cool. It's mostly old white guys, there are around 600,000 in the US and no one really knows how many are still active. And most people would never dream of doing it. And people love to hate the ARRL just like they do AOPA. And you have some guys who'd never dream of unscrewing the covers on their factory built rig, and others who are die-hard home-built experimental geeks. :)

I used to run SCCA autocross, and we used to do a lot of TSD road rallies. We were even getting pretty good at it, collected a few plaques and trophies.

We also shoot, but that's nowhere near extreme. Most of the time anyway. I've done a couple of IDPA league nights... with a revolver.

Extreme sports? Driving in a city is the only one because it's so frigging dangerous. It's like a warzone where you're not allowed to return fire under any circumstances and wearing a beacon and strobe light telling all the bad guys where you're at.

Most people think anything I do is idiotically dangerous. It's all about knowing what you're doing and not being a tv rerun couch potato who's biggest risk in life is the 35ft walk to the bathroom.

I did PKA full contact kickboxing (precursor to UFC) for a while. Now I just do bicycling and hiking, neither of which I would consider as an extreme sport.

I did PKA full contact kickboxing (precursor to UFC) for a while. Now I just do bicycling and hiking, neither of which I would consider as an extreme sport.

Well except for those distractions on the trail that cause accidents. ;)

White water kayaking, love the speed and having to use the flow of the water to my advantage.

Surfing.

I consider myself an advanced beginner in Tae Kwon Do (Started in 1972, still learning.)

Diving. I am a certified recompression chamber operator, mixed gas diver.

Cooking. You might not consider it extreme, but you haven't had my Mango pepper chicken!! :D

I'm a ham radio operator. In some ways it's a lot like being a pilot, but without even a shred of cool. It's mostly old white guys, there are around 600,000 in the US and no one really knows how many are still active. And most people would never dream of doing it. And people love to hate the ARRL just like they do AOPA. And you have some guys who'd never dream of unscrewing the covers on their factory built rig, and others who are die-hard home-built experimental geeks. :)

I used to run SCCA autocross, and we used to do a lot of TSD road rallies. We were even getting pretty good at it, collected a few plaques and trophies.

Weird we have things in common. I'm a ham operator as well! Husband and I use to do autocross (Had a 1990 Eclipse GS for that but then the oil leaked out and I didn't know until it was too late) we also us to do TSD road rallies until I got into training for flying which sucked ALOT of time. But now we may get back to do that again.

All interesting ideas...may have to see about doing some of them for myself. I'm in Ohio (ie flatland so Rock climbing would be a little difficult)

I do some triathlons and wakeboard quite a bit. My worst injury to date was an ACL tear of my left knee doing a flip on the wakeboard. I also played collegiate rugby and still coach my local collegiate side. I try not to get too involved in the drills anymore though!

Hmmm... nothing I'd call "extreme". Most of it not by a long shot, in fact. But most of what I do, or my wife and I together, are things most people either don't or won't.

We ride our touring bike cross country from time to time, often towing a cargo trailer for all the luggage, leathers, cooler, etc. We've ranged from CO & WY to NC & SC. Been baked, fried, soaked, hailed on and nearly blown away. Next on my list is Yellowstone, Momma wants to go see friends in Phoenix. I'd much rather fly.

We also shoot, but that's nowhere near extreme. Most of the time anyway. I've done a couple of IDPA league nights... with a revolver.

Again again , your 5-9. RF head also .. N3qam

cavmedic - old hammie huh! KD8JHM!

I forgot -- we do go white water rafting from time to time.

73 to you hams de N0XAS! :)

The day I went to buy my sport bike Mrs. Steingar took one look at it and said "are you out of your ****ing mind!?". I imagine that counts as extreme.

Downhill Skiing

Sailing

Hiking

Camping
I'm going to quote Adam because mine are the same, but I'd add "skate skiing" to that and SCUBA diving (although I haven't done that in a long time). I haven't been trail running in a while either, but I've always enjoyed that.

I was just reading about extreme races (I think one was called "Tough Mudda" or something like that) and I was wondering if that would be fun... or nuts. Not sure.:dunno:

You fly. To some that is extreme.
Yeah, like my wife. Sigh... She has yet to be able to even bring herself to come watch me do T&Gs. I mention taking a trip, tell her she's just a little freaked because the smallest thing she's ever flown in was an ERJ145... and she says THAT was too small and scared the heck out of her. Jeez. Starts rattling off names of famous people killed in small plane crashes, and I point out that we lose tens of thousands in traffic every year -- but still drive every day, and ride the motorcycle all over the place.

Don't care. Got to fly. I hope she'll like it too; I'd love for her to come along so we can fly happily wherever we want. Otherwise it will get lonely for her in the car, trying to catch up. :) Anyway, it just gets a little old.

Back