Extra meds - how to find people in need

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hi

A friend's daughter just went through a month of interferon treatment and can't take any more. She has a month's supply left and I believe she knows someone she could give it to.

It got me wondering though - is there a formal way to connect the people who need drugs but can't afford them, with the people who have leftovers that would just get poured in the toilet otherwise?

I was thinking that MIGHT be discouraged because of insurance fraud concerns. Or, maybe not. Maybe there is a formal clearinghouse to help people find each other. Not sure.

There is no way no how in the US.
Too much liability. Even the Mfr does everything they can do to discourage this.
It's a shame, too, 'cause the stuff is very very pricey.
No pharmacy can take it back, either.....

Sigh.

It's not insurance fraud, it's a Federal offense. But if you insist, contact your physician and a reputable pharmacist for suggestions. And please DON'T put drugs into the toilet. They end up in the water supply. Again, contact a local pharmacist for info. In Colorado, the recommendation is to tape shut the bottle the drugs came in then tightly wrap it so nothing can leach out. Only then can you put it in your trash can.

Last edited:
Every hospital I've worked in for 20 years sends non-radioactive, non-chemotherapeutic IV drugs down the drain..

Every state is different. When I worked at a medical school (Arizona) they did the same, but that was 20 years ago.

More and more pharmacies and hospitals are using licensed reverse distribution companies, but only for drugs that they can certify have been stored properly and are eligible for return to the manufacturer for possible redistribution. Unfortunately there isn't a legal mechanism for redistribution of unused prescriptions by individuals.

That being said, I have heard of support groups who will put patients in touch with other patients for just this sort of reason, especially if both already have prescriptions for the drugs. She might try one in her area.

There is no way no how in the US.
Too much liability. Even the Mfr does everything they can do to discourage this.
It's a shame, too, 'cause the stuff is very very pricey.
No pharmacy can take it back, either.....

Sigh.

Yeah it is a shame. We ran into that situation when my father in law passed away and we wanted to donate his unopened unused meds but could not do so.:(

Yeah it is a shame. We ran into that situation when my father in law passed away and we wanted to donate his unopened unused meds but could not do so.:(
Ditto. I am still trying to dispose of it properly and am having a tough time getting places to take the stuff.

And the 6 year old post has been resurrected! I'm guessing their drugs are expired by now.

I wonder what the DEA does with the drugs.

Those reverse distribution companies are shady. I suspect some of them have an underground pipeline for getting almost expired expensive drugs back on the market. Refund the original purchaser what the manufacturer would give back, sell it quick to another pharmacy for less then retail and keep the difference. Not legal, not ethical the way they do it, but that's how it rolls.

I tried giving sealed bandage material, left over from burn treatment, to a charity medical clinic but they wouldn't take them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back