Exteror Mounts

jpower

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
James
Hi all,
Question regarding mounting things, namely cameras, on the exterior of airplanes. I'm looking to do some video recording of my flying this summer, but am unsure of the best way to go about it. From what I've see, there are a couple of options. I could do a strut mount, which seems like it would be the most secure.

However, I'd much rather use a suction cup, because it would let me put the camera anywhere on the airplane (within reason.... On the ailerons? Probably not such a good idea). Does anyone have any experience with these? The GoPro comes with a suction cup mount that supposedly stands up to a lot, including changes in pressure at high altitudes. There are also these that seem really good. Does anyone have any idea how well they hold up on the outside of an airplane? Perhaps a somewhat custom mount with two of those super strong ones would work well?

Also, are there any semi-permanent solutions to exterior mounting? Just daydreaming about having my own airplane... :). It would be nice not to have to put it on before every flight and take it off after every flight.

Lastly, what about the legality of such objects, assuming for now that falling off is not an issue? Assuming they stay on, isn't there something that stipulates that such an "airframe modification" isn't allowed?

Hi all,
Question regarding mounting things, namely cameras, on the exterior of airplanes. I'm looking to do some video recording of my flying this summer, but am unsure of the best way to go about it. From what I've see, there are a couple of options. I could do a strut mount, which seems like it would be the most secure.

However, I'd much rather use a suction cup, because it would let me put the camera anywhere on the airplane (within reason.... On the ailerons? Probably not such a good idea). Does anyone have any experience with these? The GoPro comes with a suction cup mount that supposedly stands up to a lot, including changes in pressure at high altitudes. There are also these that seem really good. Does anyone have any idea how well they hold up on the outside of an airplane? Perhaps a somewhat custom mount with two of those super strong ones would work well?

Also, are there any semi-permanent solutions to exterior mounting? Just daydreaming about having my own airplane... :). It would be nice not to have to put it on before every flight and take it off after every flight.

Lastly, what about the legality of such objects, assuming for now that falling off is not an issue? Assuming they stay on, isn't there something that stipulates that such an "airframe modification" isn't allowed?

I would mount on the dash or windshield if temporary. If permanent you may be able to attach it to an inspection panel or inside a clear light lens. I would not try a suction cup externally unless you want to lose it.

1. Don't mount it such that it might fall off. No suction cups
2. Don't damage the airplane with mounting hardware, etc.
3. Plan so that if it does fall off that it can't interefere with the flight controls/prop/windows.
4. Consider W&B... most of these are pretty light, but what is the moment of 2#, way back on the tail. May be considerable for some a/c.
5. Consider airloads transmitted from the camera + brackets to the supporting structure - don't want to deform the mounting surface when you are in that 200mph dive.
6. Legality. I have nothing useful to offer - but do consider it - others are better at this than me.

Fantastic! Thanks!

I did some looking into the GoPro adhesive mount, and the adhesive used is VHB tape, which is pretty impressive stuff! Anyone have any experience using it? It certainly seems strong enough.... Apparently stronger than rivets. An aerobatic pilot (don't remember who, it's in the webinar at around 16+ minutes) pulls a ton of gs at his wingtips with a GoPro mounted there with no problem, so I'd have no qualms attaching a camera with the adhesive to go tool around for a while.

Only problem...anyone have experience taking these (or VHB tape in general) off?

'A good 'ol bolt and nut can't be beat, but don't count out the suction mount. I've used them and haven't lost a camera. Vibration can easily ruin a video, so make sure you've got a solid mount with the least amount of "dangling stuff". I always use bolus tape to make sure the mounts are as drag-free as possible. Never safety-wire or tether the camera. You don't want it flailing your aircraft at 150kts. Place the camera so that, if it falls off, it's not going to damage or interfere with a control surface. Remember, whoever finds the camera has your picture!
'Can't speak to the legality....

Back