External antenna for iPad Mini?

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
I just bought a iPad Mini and have selected ForeFlight as my nav system and so far am pleased with it. I have made a few flights with it and have never lost signal yet, but from reading on the web there seems to be some who consider an external antenna critical. My issue is that the ones I have seen plug into the port for the power cable, thus making relying on the battery a necessity. Any thought from those of you who have some experience with this situation?

I'm guessing you are talking about an external GPS right?

If you are using it for navigation, I would recommend that you get an external GPS. Based on my experiences with the Iphone 4's internal GPS, you will lose signal occasionally, and according to murphy's law, this will not be in the middle of nowhere, but on approach to a class D airport with no radar capability.

One of my friends has the $100 Dual external GPS, he has used it a lot in GA aircraft and its been 100% reliable for him. That is the type that connects wirelessly with the ipad.

I'm saving up for the appareo stratus ads-b .. it will provide in-flight weather plus GPS signal for your ipad

I use the XGPS 150 external GPS receiver. It's more accurate than the built in GPS.

may depend on your aircraft. My Cessna 172 has not lost track with both the Ipad 1 and Mini mounted on the yoke. YMMV. Both have the internal GPS

I'm guessing you are talking about an external GPS right?

If you are using it for navigation, I would recommend that you get an external GPS. Based on my experiences with the Iphone 4's internal GPS, you will lose signal occasionally, and according to murphy's law, this will not be in the middle of nowhere, but on approach to a class D airport with no radar capability.

One of my friends has the $100 Dual external GPS, he has used it a lot in GA aircraft and its been 100% reliable for him. That is the type that connects wirelessly with the ipad.

I'm saving up for the appareo stratus ads-b .. it will provide in-flight weather plus GPS signal for your ipad

I'm speaking of an external antenna, hence the title of the thread. :D I'm guessing if the signal is there the internal GPS will work fine. This is more of a back up unit as both my 172 and 310 have 430Ws in them. I will probably use them more as a inflight data source and for planning and filing while on the road rather than a primary nav.

I'm speaking of an external antenna, hence the title of the thread. :D I'm guessing if the signal is there the internal GPS will work fine.

There is no provision for connecting an external antenna to the internal GPS on the iPad or any other such mobile device of which I'm aware.

There are, however, numerous options to get a better GPS which can connect to your iPad via not only the dock connecter, but also bluetooth or WiFi. The latest improvement is the newest generation which includes ADS-B In to supply you with an in-flight weather datalink with no monthly fees.

FWIW, I've had excellent luck with the internal GPS on my original iPad. Recently, I bought a Stratus (WAAS GPS + ADS-B In for ForeFlight) but I leave it in the plane so I use that while flying and the internal GPS for everything else these days.

Back