Extension cord for Reiff pre-heater

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
For a 50-foot run, will 14 gauge wire work well? It is a 6-cylinder heater at 400 watts total. Tannis says 16+, but Reiff does not state a gauge requirement.

If it's 400 watts, and you need to go 50 feet, 16Ga will be fine, 14Ga would be better, but 16 will do.

I guess I am really debating between 14 and 12. I would prefer not to burn my hangar down. ;)

14 should be fine. 400 watts is nominally 3 1/3 amps. 14 is good for ~12 continuous and 50' isn't that long a run so voltage drop will be nominal as well.

John

it's been my experience that the 14Ga ext cords are just built of better quality ingredients. The insulating sleeve is heavier, and the plug and socket seem to be better rubber/plastic. Worth it for longevity, but not needed for the current load. However, at a later time, you might need at 15-ish amps, and the 14 or 12 would be much better than the 16 at that time.

I liked to use 12 ,made me feel safer.

I liked to use 12 ,made me feel safer.
At 400 W, even an 18 ga cord isn't going to get hot. The reason for using larger gauge on longer runs it to reduce the voltage drop which would make the engine heater produce a little less heat.

Buy a 12. I will have more utility in the summer time when you don't need a heater.

Buy a 12. I will have more utility in the summer time when you don't need a heater.

I can't think of anything else I would plug in. I have a fridge, but I am not a mechanic so no power tools.

I'll pile on and say for sure that 14/3 will work for the 400 watt load...no worries.

Go buy 12/3 or 14/3 SO or SOW cord and build you one that will last a lifetime.

Back