ExpressJet Restarting Operations

United is restarting ExpressJet.

I'm curious, does this mean that they will be recalling the old pilots, or does this allow United to start a regional that does not have a pilots union until the pilots they have decide to unionize?

Nope, United is not restarting ExpressJet. ExpressJet is going to try to restart ExpressJet, United has nothing to do with it.

Read the article you posted, it specifically states that UAL dumped ExpressJet. They’re trying to restart as an independent carrier.

Rereading the article, I did misunderstand that, United is not involved.

But that asks the question: Is ExpressJet going to be recalling their former pilots or are they hiring new and if so does that mean they are hiring without a union?

Xjt is done. They havent called anyone back they have no planes parts employees mgmt. No training center. Basically all of xjt was transferred to commutair minus employees. All xjt has is one of trans states 145s to keep the certificate alive to potentially sell.

Regionals are generally staffing agencies they dont own anything. Xjt doesnt have the money doesnt have the infrastructure doesnt have people or planes. Xjt is a few caretaker employees one leased pos 145 (hk tail number ewwww) and a certificate. Our ceo when asked 2 months ago was essentially lol we ain't restarting just protecting the value of the certificate.

Last edited:
Xjt is done. They havent called anyone back they have no planes parts employees mgmt. No training center. Basically all of xjt was transferred to commutair minus employees. All xjt has is one of trans states 145s to keep the certificate alive to potentially sell.

Regionals are generally staffing agencies they dont own anything. Xjt doesnt have the money doesnt have the infrastructure doesnt have people or planes. Xjt is a few caretaker employees one leased pos 145 (hk tail number ewwww) and a certificate. Our ceo when asked 2 months ago was essentially lol we ain't restarting just protecting the value of the certificate.
Crap, so that means triple nickel is dead... <cries>

Nope, United is not restarting ExpressJet. ExpressJet is going to try to restart ExpressJet, United has nothing to do with it.

Read the article you posted, it specifically states that UAL dumped ExpressJet. They’re trying to restart as an independent carrier.

Independent Air tried doing exactly that, starting over as a free standing airline, lasted maybe 9 months. Not exactly a walk in the park

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Independent Air tried doing exactly that, starting over as a free standing airline, lasted maybe 9 months. Not exactly a walk in the park
Independence Air. That was exactly my comment on the subject. Remember "TED" airline. And the CEO had the audacity to think that United wouldn't use their clout to go head to head with him dropping fares on the routes shared by the two. He wasn't paying attention, United had done the same thing to ValuJet (though that airline had other issues). I laughed when ValuJet introduced the eTicket concept (which was truly paperless, you bought the ticket online, and they handed you a plastic boarding pass that they took back as you boarded), United announced their eTicket but, in fact, generated as much paper for it as a regular ticket.

I had an employee who had been a flight attendant on Independence's Airbus (she was on the team that put it through the certification). We went together to the liquidation auction and bought a lot of stuff for the office and some stuff for ourselves personally. I managed to snare a UNS-1 trainer for $50, but someone stole it before I got over there to haul it off. I did mange to get several hundred FlyI-logo'd Jepp binders.

The difference with Independence was they still owned the planes. ExpressJet does not, anymore. Their first iteration flying "branded" with the "aquafresh" jets a decade or so ago they did actually own those.

The difference with Independence was they still owned the planes. ExpressJet does not, anymore. Their first iteration flying "branded" with the "aquafresh" jets a decade or so ago they did actually own those.
I don't think Independence owned any planes. They were leased from GE Capital and ALC.

And all on Independence's certificate as the operator regardless of who held the title...

ExpressJet only has one tail even to that now, and that's just a placeholder for the certificate may not even be airworthy.

One of Independence's issues was that the CRJs had just such a high CASM to start with, even a reasonable fare made it hard to generate a sufficient margin. The Airbus fleet made it better, but in many ways the damage was done and the war with UAL at IAD wasn't going to reach a truce anytime soon. Hoping XJ has better luck.

Independence Air. That was exactly my comment on the subject. Remember "TED" airline. And the CEO had the audacity to think that United wouldn't use their clout to go head to head with him dropping fares on the routes shared by the two. .

TED wasn't a separate airline, it was just a marketing entity by United (A320s with a new paint job and no first class seats). It was flown by United crews under the United certificate. Much like "Shuttle by United".

One of Independence's issues was that the CRJs had just such a high CASM to start with, even a reasonable fare made it hard to generate a sufficient margin. The Airbus fleet made it better, but in many ways the damage was done and the war with UAL at IAD wasn't going to reach a truce anytime soon. Hoping XJ has better luck.

Independence Air is an interesting study. As an express carrier for United they were paid for each flight, regardless if the flight was full or empty. Independence (or ACA at the time) provided the plane and crew, United provided the passengers and paid for the fuel and paid ACA a fee for the flight. For an airline, that is low risk operation -- no exposure to changing fuel prices, however your profit upside is limited. The only way to increase profit % is to cut costs since revenue is fixed, and about the only cost you can reduce is labor. I think that is what pushed ACA to transition to Independence Air -- United wanted them to reduce their labor costs so they could reduce the fee per departure they paid, and ACAs management wanted a situation where they had upside profit potential. Kind of a swing for the fences scenario. Of course they struck out badly.

It sucks they won't be restarting with an XR. Those are purposefully built for XJT. They have uprated engines, ventral fuel tank, winglets, and a slightly beefier gear system. They were made so we could operate at max gross in and out of most Mexican and Rocky Mountain airports. When Skywest, grumble grumble, had United transfer them to Commutair and TSA they bastardized them. The turned off the ventral tank and derated the engines because TSA and Commutair didn't want to do differences training. That was 6 years ago so hopefully they're using the XR to their fullest and if not they are extremely short sided.

It sucks they won't be restarting with an XR. Those are purposefully built for XJT. They have uprated engines, ventral fuel tank, winglets, and a slightly beefier gear system. They were made so we could operate at max gross in and out of most Mexican and Rocky Mountain airports. When Skywest, grumble grumble, had United transfer them to Commutair and TSA they bastardized them. The turned off the ventral tank and derated the engines because TSA and Commutair didn't want to do differences training. That was 6 years ago so hopefully they're using the XR to their fullest and if not they are extremely short sided.

We did not turn off the ventral tank and we did not derate the engines. Bad rumor and one that doesn't even make sense because we only flew XRs so there would not have been any "differences" anyway.

Independence Air is an interesting study. As an express carrier for United they were paid for each flight, regardless if the flight was full or empty. Independence (or ACA at the time) provided the plane and crew, United provided the passengers and paid for the fuel and paid ACA a fee for the flight. For an airline, that is low risk operation -- no exposure to changing fuel prices, however your profit upside is limited. The only way to increase profit % is to cut costs since revenue is fixed, and about the only cost you can reduce is labor. I think that is what pushed ACA to transition to Independence Air -- United wanted them to reduce their labor costs so they could reduce the fee per departure they paid, and ACAs management wanted a situation where they had upside profit potential. Kind of a swing for the fences scenario. Of course they struck out badly.
Isn’t that every fee for departure regional airline? How was ACA special?

Isn’t that every fee for departure regional airline? How was ACA special?
You're correct, their revenue model as an express carrier wasn't different, but that they decided to give that up and become a standalone airline was an interesting decision, with all the additional costs that go along with that (fuel, marketing, reservations, yield management, etc). And they had to know United would compete with them.

Back