Exponential Engine

Their website give the poorest explanation of the engine's operation I've ever seen. I cannot garner its principle of operation from it.

I suspect snake oil.

Why would anybody refer to a turbocharger as an oxygenation system if they weren't trying to pull the wool over your eyes?

Their website give the poorest explanation of the engine's operation I've ever seen. I cannot garner its principle of operation from it.

I suspect snake oil.

Feliks can explain it. :rolleyes:

Actually, that's a Purple Board inside joke. If anyone visits the linked thread, Feliks first appears in post #11.

Mark

I suspect snake oil.

I didn't see where the website gave any explanation at all.:dunno:

Feliks can explain it. :rolleyes:

Actually, that's a Purple Board inside joke. If anyone visits the linked thread, Feliks first appears in post #11.

Mark

I don't see anything to explain, at least Feliks had 3D motion representations rendered.

Just by looking at the pictures and their very vague description I wonder if this isn't just some sort of inline "Wankel rotary engine"

That's my guess.

In my younger days I was somewhat of an engine builder.

They are seeking crowd funding but won't tell you how it works because they are pursuing patents. Run Forest Run!

http://www.fjaind.com/Exponential_Engine.htm

Well, my suspicion since he is running even number of cylinders in a radial configuration, this is a 2 stroke design firing at both ends of the stroke. The likely reason he hasn't managed to get a patent in 20 years is that it has been done before. There is very little that has not been tried in reciprocating technology.

"The ability to stop the piston at TDC to allow additional time for burning will assure complete combustion. Finally, the ability to design a different piston stroke for each phase of operation will permit the reuse of preheated nitrogen thereby reducing nitric oxides."

Complete and utter bovine excrement.

"The Exponential™ Engine combats this problem by adjusting the oxygen content of the air, which enters the engine. This is done by an optional system known as an "Oxygenation System"."

More of the same.

I assume that if more information were provided, we could move on to "piled higher and deeper".

"The ability to stop the piston at TDC to allow additional time for burning will assure complete combustion. Finally, the ability to design a different piston stroke for each phase of operation will permit the reuse of preheated nitrogen thereby reducing nitric oxides."

Complete and utter bovine excrement.

"The Exponential™ Engine combats this problem by adjusting the oxygen content of the air, which enters the engine. This is done by an optional system known as an "Oxygenation System"."

More of the same.

I assume that if more information were provided, we could move on to "piled higher and deeper".

The top I can't figure out unless there is a piston within a piston that is driven up with the expanding gasses ported underneath it to push it up as the skirt goes down with the rod. The bottom sounds like a nitrous injection system.

The top I can't figure out unless there is a piston within a piston that is driven up with the expanding gasses ported underneath it to push it up as the skirt goes down with the rod. The bottom sounds like a nitrous injection system.
I'm guessing more of a free piston concept and a super charger type induction system (likely if they are doing two stroke with poppet valves). But, whatever, nothing new, nothing that is going to make it to market.

Last edited:
And I have a few 100 MPG carburetors that will be a drop on fit for your O-520. :yes: :D Oh; they'll double your power too.

OK, so it's a two stroke with poppet valves and some fancy stuff to allow it to be configurable in it's operation. Of course, doesn't appear like they've even got a decent design of it since all the pictures just show it as either a radial blog or a rectangular opposed blob.

They don't sound like engineers to me and while the description on the website is better, it still really doesn't tell you much.

They don't sound like engineers to me and while the description on the website is better, it still really doesn't tell you much.

Design and engineering are really two different disciplines and rarely is someone good at both. Being creators is complex, that's why we are a social species. Unfortunately we never really embraced cooperation.

Design and engineering are really two different disciplines and rarely is someone good at both. Being creators is complex, that's why we are a social species. Unfortunately we never really embraced cooperation.

Ah, actually design and engineering are one in the same, unless you are talking about aesthetic design, which is different. The laws of physics are a *****, there is no free ride. I hope these guys can produce what they are advertising, but they are certainly not speaking the language which is troubling.

Ah, actually design and engineering are one in the same, unless you are talking about aesthetic design, which is different. The laws of physics are a *****, there is no free ride. I hope these guys can produce what they are advertising, but they are certainly not speaking the language which is troubling.

No, design is figuring out how to make something work, engineering is figuring out how to build it.

No, design is figuring out how to make something work, engineering is figuring out how to build it.

Ah no, that's not right. Regardless, they don't have the language of someone who designs this stuff, and that is very concerning.

Feliks has been on the RC sites also, he has many ideas from engines to wave energy production

Feliks has been on the RC sites also, he has many ideas from engines to wave energy production

Wave energy is excellent except for the maintenance levels the equipment requires, and the difficulties performing it.

Jeezus. English definitely isn't Feliks' first language, more likely his fourth or fifth. That, or he's getting to the bottom of the fifth when he posts. Horribly inept postings, they were painful to (try to) read.

He's Polish IIRC.

This set of graphs really pinned the BS meter:

Exponential-Engine-p8.jpg

No mater how you produce them, power is always proportional to RPM * Torque so the second graph simply cannot be correct and implies a serious lack of knowledge on someone's part.

IME, any design that relies on violating simple laws of physics is likely to be unsuccessful.

And based on the other information this concept sounds an awful lot like a reciprocating engine that uses cams instead of cranks to transfer piston motion to rotary action.

Last edited:
Must be some sort of wobble plate design. But that still can't explain those torq/HP curves.

No mater how you produce them, power is always proportional to RPM * Torque so the second graph simply cannot be correct and implies a serious lack of knowledge on someone's part.

IME, any design that relies on violating simple laws of physics is likely to be unsuccessful.

And based on the other information this concept sounds an awful lot like a reciprocating engine that uses cams instead of cranks to transfer piston motion to rotary action.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the Dyna Cam engine?

I know it's an old thread, but I found it via Google search and, assuming others do as well, I thought it appropriate to update it.
A patent for the Exponential Engine was published in Nov 2016 and can be seen by searching "US 2017/0328277" on freepatentsonline.com
It appears to be a classic radial in which the crankshaft has been replaced by a cam.
I've seen pictures of an engine in a lab, but no video of it running.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a feliks post here in a while, hope the guy is ok.

He would be torn to shreds here

Yeah, no kidding. I thought he was a troll over at the purple board at first, but turns out he's an English second language guy I think based in Poland. I believe an Older gentleman with graves disease and a dream. Actually seems like a nice guy.

He frequented on an RC site too, had a huge thread he started and posted on.

Edit: didn’t realize this was an old thread

Last edited:

By definition, horsepower and torque curves must always meet at 5252 rpm like the graph on the left. The graph on the right is impossible.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1115177_why-do-horsepower-and-torque-cross-at-5252-rpm

Last edited:
Back