Exploring Texas with my boys! Looking for any recommendations.

Make your list, then go with the option that has the weather!

Here, your west Tx option, can have nasty winds with dust storms; not always but..
That's the plan - have 4-5 places to go then go where the weather allows. Thanks for the feedback.

Stinson Field Class D San Antonio near river walk
Galveston for Moody Gardens
Carlsbad NM (on NM-TX border) for the Caverns
War Eagles Museum at Dona Ana NM (El Paso)
I like the NM destinations. Will give them a look. Thanks.

Don't forget Reklaw, Mustang Beach and Port Isabel, where you might get to see a SPACEX launch!
I do business with SpaceX and I'm trying to wrangle an up close ticket. Great idea to do with the boys.

If you do a layover in the DFW area, there are a few of us who’d enjoy sharing food and good times with you.

Just let us know date and where you’re overnighting so we can send up the call.
Aggie Mike - will do. You can call me Aggie Rob '91. We'd have lots to commiserate over.

From the website
"The Museum will be closed this winter starting Dec. 3rd. Thank you all so much for an incredible season, and we will see you all again in April!"

I also think it is only open on Saturday mornings.
That is very good to know. Thanks.

If you're planning to be out west anyway, I strongly recommend a visit to the Caverns of Sonora.

Call ahead and make sure you can get ground transport; last time I was there, the airport had a loaner van and they were very liberal with how long you could use it (I don't think it got a lot of use!). But that was several years ago (2017?) and the van was pretty old already, so I dunno if it's still on the road, and for years before the van they had nothing, so...call and check. A few years before they got the van (2014ish?), there were no local rental car options and no taxi or Uber. I considered landing at San Angelo (nearest car rental option) and driving to Sonora once, but that's a longish round-trip considering there's not much else to see in the area. I ended up not going then, and only reconsidered when I learned about the loaner van some time later. (Not sure if the taxi situation has changed since then, so check that too...)

Despite the ground transport issues, Caverns of Sonora is an amazing place, and worth the effort. Carlsbad is bigger, Natural Bridge (and pretty much every other Texas cavern) is more convenient, but Sonora has features that you just don't see, and in quantities you don't see, in other caverns. (Even after the intentional destruction of its unique butterfly formation by stupid frat boys many years ago).

I've been to many caverns (just as a tourist, not a spelunker), and CoS is by far my favorite. It is worth making an effort to visit.
Thank you. I'll check it out.

Back