Expired Special Issuance

skyhawkjrp

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
skyhawkjrp
I see that an AME can renew certain SI with the Assisted program now in place. What about an SI that expired back in 2008 (when my ran out of $$ and stopped flying)? I am one of those rusty pilots that want to get back. I'm almost done with my Dr's and will soon have all my info for the physical (letter from Urologist for retained kidney stone, and letter from family Dr saying still stable on BP meds). There has been no change form when the SI was issued as far as conditions. Can the AME issue my medical or has my SI been expired too long?

Also, someone told me that all deferred medicals must now go to Oklahoma City. My SI's were always given by the Regional Flight Surgeon. I fear if OK is doing it all, I could expire from old age before I can get anywhere???

Thanks for the info..

I see that an AME can renew certain SI with the Assisted program now in place. What about an SI that expired back in 2008 (when my ran out of $$ and stopped flying)? I am one of those rusty pilots that want to get back. I'm almost done with my Dr's and will soon have all my info for the physical (letter from Urologist for retained kidney stone, and letter from family Dr saying still stable on BP meds). There has been no change form when the SI was issued as far as conditions. Can the AME issue my medical or has my SI been expired too long?

Also, someone told me that all deferred medicals must now go to Oklahoma City. My SI's were always given by the Regional Flight Surgeon. I fear if OK is doing it all, I could expire from old age before I can get anywhere???

Thanks for the info..

The first renewal, unless you are within the expiration date of the authorization letter (doubtful), will have to be issued by a Federal Flight surgeon, either at region or at OKC.

I can tell you LOTS about the regions as I use them ALL as well as OKC. In which district are you located?

The first renewal, unless you are within the expiration date of the authorization letter (doubtful), will have to be issued by a Federal Flight surgeon, either at region or at OKC.

I can tell you LOTS about the regions as I use them ALL as well as OKC. In which district are you located?

The last SI letter from the FAA dated March 2006) was for a 6 year authorization. It say's "This authorization expires March 31, 2012".. I plan on seeing my AME in JAN and am not sure if he will defer to FAA (Jamiaca, NY is our Regional) or will he be able to do the assisted? Back when I was actively flying, the Jamaica office normally had my SI back to me in about 4 weeks which was tolerable (Dr Dominick Zito). Just hoping maybe the AME can do it??

If it's a cardiac condition region usually cannot do it unless he has taken the "appeals portion of federal training.

Dr. Dominick Z, is still there :)

Last edited:
Often wonder if folks get back to you after seeking your guidance..... Thank you for all of your help and shared knowledge. My AME was able to CAI both of my Special Issuances and like you said about the Vertigo, Dr saw last occurrence and said I was good.

Thanks again...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back