Experimental/Homebuilt FARs

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Yeah, I'm lazy today. Can anyone tell me what regs or ACs pertain to the construction of homebuilt aircraft? Please?
Ie who can, the 51% rule, the approval process?

A good place to start is FAA Order 8130.2.

That covers what is required to be issued an airworthiness certificate (see Section 7).

Beyond that the best thing to do if you're serious about going "amateur-built" is to join EAA. They have extensive data/information regarding the regulation of experimental aircraft available to their members. Their legal department helped draft most of the rules the FAA uses in that regard.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Yeah, I'm lazy today. Can anyone tell me what regs or ACs pertain to the construction of homebuilt aircraft? Please?
Ie who can, the 51% rule, the approval process?

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/rec/ultralights/amateur_built/amateur_regs/

Everything you want to know. Ignore the fact that the folder name in the url above is "ultralights"; that's short for their "Recreational Aircraft: Ultralights & Amateur-Built (Experimental) Aircraft" section.

It's got everything you need.

In my day job I work with alot of experimentals and certificate many. I have made a CD-ROM that has all the AC's, FAA Orders that cover experimental aircrafts. If you would like a copy of the CD send me an e-mail and I will burn a copy and mail it to you.

The 51 percent rule is not covered very well and has become a call each FAA Inspector has to make. If you do have an Inspector come out and look and tell you your aircraft will meet the 51% rule make sure they send you a offical letter stating that.

I have had to decline some because the project did not meet the intent of the rule and the FAA person who stated it did had passed away. Bottom line is get it in writing.

Stache

Stache said:
If you would like a copy of the CD send me an e-mail and I will burn a copy and mail it to you.
Stache

Thanks Stache, I would like a copy but:

"Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. "

Back