Experimental down in Cheyenne Wy

Per LiveATC communications, the pilot reported an engine failure approximately four miles south of the airport and, after turning back toward the airport, said he was going to try to land in a field. His last communication soon after was, "I am on fire ... please send rescue." The crash site is around 1 1/2 miles from the runway.

Relevant comms begin around the 13:20 mark: https://archive.liveatc.net/kcys/KCYS-May-30-2022-1330Z.mp3

turbine express 2000, lancairish glide profile, especially with that turboprop sticking out on fine pitch out the front. Not surprised they stalled it, especially given the DA and the indicated vs ground deltas someone would see up in a place like Cheyenne.

I met the pilot a couple of months ago, he flew into our airport in that very plane. He was the guy my instructor used to stay current in jets.

He held a master degree in aeronautical engineering, a top gun rating in the Airforce in the mid 90s, I think in the F4, not sure. I did read his resume, quite the accomplishments and he will leave a hole in aviation.

He was prepared for an off field landing before the fire. One can only speculate on why he stalled the plane. may he Rest In Peace.

Back