spdracer888

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
spdracer888
Experimental aircraft went down in the Long Island Sound this morning

Pilot didn't make it. RIP.

Tail Number: N79ZR

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/small-plane-crashes-long-island-sound-article-1.1857356

http://nypost.com/2014/07/07/pilot-dies-after-small-plane-crashes-into-long-island-sound/

I think this may be the pilot's youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuGuWihAmhMSbo_SlEYKwQ

A quick search on FAA airman database shows this person received his PPL on 5/15/14, so how can he be test flying the kit plane 3 month ago from the Youtube video (see upload date)?

Last edited:
Re: Experimental aircraft went down in the Long Island Sound this morning

A quick search on FAA airman database shows this person received his PPL on 5/15/14, so how can he be test flying the kit plane 3 month ago from the Youtube video (see upload date)?

How do you know he received his PP Certificate on 5/15/2014?

How do you know that the person the plane was registered to was the pilot?

The owner sure was doing a few videos ,as he progressed. My he rest in peace.

How do you know he received his PP Certificate on 5/15/2014?

How do you know that the person the plane was registered to was the pilot?

His name and address were in one of the articles. If you search the FAA database it shows the date of issue. Also the YouTube channel has the same name as the name in the article and one of the video has the tail number of the airplane. Once you run the tail number the owner's name and street address show up as the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FAA database shows when a cert was issued. This is NOT necessarily the same date upon which a rating was earned.

New address. Replacement cert. English proficiency.
Just a few reasons a person might be issued a new cert.

He came down into the water under canopy, the plane did not sink -- and he died?

I wonder if he was having some sort of a medical (as opposed to mechanical) emergency?

The FAA database shows when a cert was issued. This is NOT necessarily the same date upon which a rating was earned.

This is correct. My certificate issue date reflects my most recent address change and not when the most recent rating was added.

His name and address were in one of the articles. If you search the FAA database it shows the date of issue. Also the YouTube channel has the same name as the name in the article and one of the video has the tail number of the airplane. Once you run the tail number the owner's name and street address show up as the same.

My point was that you don't know that the guy flying this plane at the time of the crash was the owner, and neither does the news.

This is correct. My certificate issue date reflects my most recent address change and not when the most recent rating was added.

Good to know. I didn't know that.

My point was that you don't know that the guy flying this plane at the time of the crash was the owner, and neither does the news.

Because his name, age and address was mentioned in the second article. That's how I found the YouTube channel and as well as the license info. Seems like a nice fella with passion...what a shame.

Last edited:
He came down into the water under canopy, the plane did not sink -- and he died?

I wonder if he was having some sort of a medical (as opposed to mechanical) emergency?

Comment states a parachute was deployed as well.

Guys I have to tell you this is hitting unbelievably close to me. I happened to take a picture of this plane about 3 weeks ago while waiting to take off at Brookhaven airport because it was so unique. I looked at the picture of the plane in the news broadcast and it immediately looked familiar. I checked my phone for my pictures that I take and sure enough the tail number matched. Holy cow!

Tail winds and clear skies fellow pilot.

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Being in the water with a parachute is often a death sentence. Adding an aeroplane fuselage can't help.

With all the video's he took, wonder if the camera was rolling on this flight, very sad. RIP

Condolences to those who knew the pilot.

With all the [videos] he took, wonder if the camera was rolling on this flight

Good question. Maybe it's time for NTSB reports to start including video links.

*Edit* In a post below, Neal pointed out that this isn't the same Zubair Khan who develops the Android app, and after actually looking at the two Youtube channels, I believe that's correct. I've edited my comment to remove what I think was an incorrect assumption on my part.

Last edited:
Oh no, this is the developer of Avare! :( I've spoken to Zubair on many occasions over the years and he was always extremely friendly and helpful. This sucks.

Damm... I thought the name looked familiar. And I just updated my app today. Very sad... :(

If I could ask him anything it would be....why 7 miles out over water?...

R.I.P.

Tony

Why not 7 miles out? Lots of people fly out that far every day. It didn't work out this time but it may have been the same results a quarter mile off shore.

Why not 7 miles out? Lots of people fly out that far every day. It didn't work out this time but it may have been the same results a quarter mile off shore.

Why would you fly that far out into the water on a single engine airplane? Especially when the closest thing on the other side is Europe.

Closest thing on the other side is Connecticut.

Oh no, this is the developer of Avare! :( I've spoken to Zubair on many occasions over the years and he was always extremely friendly and helpful. This sucks.

Is this the same Zubair Khan? The pictures on their respective blogs & YouTube sites do not match. A web search shows there are multiple Zubair Khans in the northeastern US.

I just assumed it was the same person; now I feel horrible for spreading rumours.

Last edited:
Why would you fly that far out into the water on a single engine airplane? Especially when the closest thing on the other side is Europe.

Really? What is the problem with flying over water? I've never understood peoples reluctance to fly over water.

I sent an email to Zubair apologizing for mistakenly thinking this was him, he may make a followup post here just to confirm. Still a real tragedy regardless.

I have more concern about flying in the Rockies than over water. I've been in the water, a couple of times. No sweat. Trying to land on vertical rock is probably beyond me. :)

Have you ever been in the water long enough for the search and rescue guys to be able to find you and get to you?
In the rockies if you plan your flight right can you find places to do a survivable landing, and then you just can wait until someone finds out. In the water your swimming abilities are limited.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/zubair-khan/6/b94/ab4?_mSplash=1

http://share.htc.com/pGS4cfeFA

“I did ask a lot of canard builders and experts before jumping into this, and pretty much everyone told me to stay away from it. But I couldn’t.”

"Thank you for your comments. I am so new to all of this that I am pretty much depending on these comments to save my life."

"I am not sure if I am actually scared at my ignorance, or scared from the fact that I should be and I am not."

"Is it appropriate to bet on projects like these? I bet $10 it will fly. $5 on landing safely on 1st flight."

"Did I mention my total flying time is around 220 hours? My instructor tells me I should be thinking about IFR lessons instead of talking to these lunatic experiment guys."

Sticking to a proven build design was too simple and cheap for this new experimenter, so he purchased a one-off designed Cozy MkIV with twin engines in an unfinished/never flown condition. Transported it from CA to NY. Modified to put an IO-540 on it(normally 320 or 360).

He was found strapped in with his own parachute deployed through forward hinged canopy. Probably died impacting the water.

RIP.

Found strapped in with a bailout rig deployed? If so that is a parachute user failure not an aircraft failure.

He had a canopy latch/mount delaminate in flight during the initial fly off of hours.
It raises the question of faulty construction.

If it is a forward hinged canopy... How the hell do you get out ?:dunno::dunno:
There should be a way to jettison the canopy. It could be as simple as releasing the hinge, but I don't anything about this particular plane.

He had a canopy latch/mount delaminate in flight during the initial fly off of hours.
It raises the question of faulty construction.

In addition to a nose gear up landing. All on You Tube and a canard forum for the world to see.

We lost a -10 and pilot in 2007 that another IT guy had built with an alternative one-off engine and prop combo. He was about to load the family up for a trip and wanted to check things out solo that morning.

His resume looked real good...for a computer guy.

Back