Experimental aircraft crashed at St George, Utah, 8/11, any info??

Glenn D

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Glenn D
On Saturday 8/11, just after 9am, there was an experimental aircraft crashed on takeoff, I was driving out to the airport to leave about 9:15, seeing the lights on the runway knew it was not a good thing. The airport was closed until 1pm, and I watched the damaged aircraft being removed to a hanger... it was a fatal crash, may the pilot RIP.

News articles were not very informative, some stating the the aircraft was an experimental ultralight, some stating a Colombia C-2, but none listing the actual aircraft. It looked like a Breezy with the aft fuselage covered. As I was there, wanted a little more info on the crash.

AIN Notice says it was a Fournier RF4D. That's a production motorglider, albeit I don't believe it has a US Type Certificate. VW-derived engine.

Ron Wanttaja

It was a Sportavia-Fournier RF4D motorglider. These have been around since the 1960s, built in Germany with modified Volkswagen engines. They have quite a history. In 1969 famed racing pilot Mira Slovak flew an RF4D, N1700, across the Atlantic to Santa Paula, California -- and crashed just a few feet short of the destination runway in gusty winds. He was critically injured, but survived.

N1700 before departure from Germany:

N1700.jpeg

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=125299
http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-mira-slovak-20140622-story.html

The FAA registry says N218B is a Hornet LSA kit powered by a Hirth 2-cycle engine.

The FAA registry says N218B is a Hornet LSA kit powered by a Hirth 2-cycle engine.
Here's the source of the confusion. FAA's Preliminary Notice of the accident says it is N2188, and that it is a Sportavia RF4D.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 1.41.51 PM.png

The Aviation Safety Network site says N218B, which the FAA database says is a Hornet LSA.

ASN may well be right and FAA wrong, because Hornet LSA N218B is registered in St. George, where the accident happened; and motorglider N2188 is registered in Battle Ground, Washington.

Last edited:
Here's the source of the confusion. FAA's Preliminary Notice of the accident says it is N2188, and that it is a Sportavia RF4D.

The Aviation Safety Network site says N218B, which the FAA database says is a Hornet LSA.

ASN may well be right and FAA wrong, because Hornet LSA N218B is registered in St. George, where the accident happened; and motorglider N2188 is registered in Battle Ground, Washington.
Good catch!

It doesn't qualify for Part 103. I wonder if the pilot was rated.

US%20Light%20Aircraft%20Hornet_zps3i0pyijh.jpg

The tail line did not match the Hornet... and it was definitely not a motorglider... Looked very much like a Super Breezy with the aft body covered, as the FWD section was not covered.... there was no fabric from under the wing FWD..

Off topic, are you based at SGU Glenn? If you are keep an eye out for Mooney 4328H and say hi if you see me

Off topic, are you based at SGU Glenn? If you are keep an eye out for Mooney 4328H and say hi if you see me

I'm up at KSPK, but have a home in Enterprise also, try to get down there once a month.... may have my plane hangared in SGU for the winter as there are no hangers up here.... my Blue Geo Metro is kept in the parking lot so I have wheels when there.... will keep you in mind... I do need to find a IA that will support owner supplied labor, is there someone in SGU that does that??...

And sad about the crash... never want to see that happen.. wonder what caused it but will likely not know.

And sad about the crash... never want to see that happen.. wonder what caused it but will likely not know.

The preliminary report says the wreckage has been moved to a secure location for further examination. That usually means they'll be looking for any evidence of a pre-crash mechanical failure that may have contributed to the accident.

Back