Experimental AB a Thing Of The Past?

Your opinion, nothing more.

Hmmm - you may have a point there; the result of the Egyptian uprising is that the military there is in control, not the people who risked their lives in protest.

Still, sometimes some protests turn violent and succeed in their goals for a while, as happened in the British American colonies a few years back.

With respect to the Egyptian uprising: I was noting the effect of a single post on this thread,
You really thought there was going to be a civil uprising with thousands of people putting unauthorized parts in airplanes? That's like the people who say how cool it would be to organize a fleet to buzz the Capitol or some TFR. A lot of talk but, in reality, people have too much to lose to act on it.

You really thought there was going to be a civil uprising with thousands of people putting unauthorized parts in airplanes?

No. I thought that Rotor&Wing was being overly pompous and superior for someone who not only doesn't provide his real name, but uses pictures of Hugh Laurie on his profile and avatar. Not sure what that is all about. Plenty of hubris and not enough humility in the way he composes his advice. It is sometimes said that some people mature while others merely grow old as the years pass, and you can probably guess which of those I think applies to him.

With regards to thousands of people and their airplanes: in my humble opinion the operational difference between "authorized" and "unauthorized" parts is primarily a matter concerning the psychology of crowds and rarely a matter of engineering. I think Wanttaja posted to this thread enough of a summary of the statistics to essentially establish that.

That plus that fact that he has a worthless airplane which he can't fly. I'm sure he didn't get it for free. Plus, if you read your story, does that sound like something any reasonable person would want to go through just so that they could run auto fuel?

Why is it that there have been so many, "It's OK if you get away with it," threads these days?

It pretty much was a worthless old high time aircraft, it still is, and he got a few years use from it. Same as the old wreck car that is bought for next to nothing drove until it quits and junk it.

OBTW his wife filed an appeal with Transport Canada and negotiated a settlement of $250.00

You really thought there was going to be a civil uprising with thousands of people putting unauthorized parts in airplanes? That's like the people who say how cool it would be to organize a fleet to buzz the Capitol or some TFR. A lot of talk but, in reality, people have too much to lose to act on it.

I know people who do this now, just don't make it public. Why would anyone spend more on parts than they have to? This is what this proposal is all about, and it is about time.

No. I thought that Rotor&Wing was being overly pompous and superior

Nice. :rolleyes:

I'd rather be who I am as opposed to someone who is a pretentious pseudo intellectual.

for someone who not only doesn't provide his real name, but uses pictures of Hugh Laurie on his profile and avatar. Not sure what that is all about.

Many, many members here use different avatars, yet I don't see you complaining about them. Perhaps you should put some of your "Wikipedia intellect" to use and research "avatars"?

It is sometimes said that some people mature while others merely grow old as the years pass, and you can probably guess which of those I think applies to him.

And in my opinion you're a sciolist. ;)

My neighbor had Sciolist once but she said oral medication, ointment and hot compresses cured it for the short term..:D:rofl::rofl::lol:..

jud kiddin,,, lighten up folks..:yesnod::yesnod:

Agreed. Time to lighten up and stay on thread.

But that there was funny, I don't care who ya are!

I know people who do this now, just don't make it public.
Of course I know that there are people who do this now. I once had an out-of town A&P suggest that I go to an auto parts store to buy a voltage regulator as long as I was the one who was doing the installing. I thought he was nuts. This was probably in the late 1980s.

However just because some number of people do it in private doesn't make it a "civil uprising" anything remotely like Egypt. I also don't think R&W's comments about it being idiotic to post willful violations of regs on an open message board, which I think is true by the way, had anything to do with the lack of enthusiasm behind this idea.

Last edited:
I would suspect that there are a much larger number of these non-certified parts being installed intentionally and knowingly on certificated airplanes than anyone has a clue about - but the people doing it are not talking about it. They have no need to talk about it, no desire to make themselves famous on the internet with how smart they are. They just shut up, do it, and go fly.

The whole certificated-only mess was one of the driving factors that got me to build my own so I could put whatever I wanted into it. Less talk, more do.

Hard to believe owners can be that stupid. Sooner or later they'll break down at a remote location or have to sell the bird. The truth will out. The consequences can be pretty bad financially.

And yeah, if you're that concerned about the cost of parts, you can buy and fly and experimental and not worry about it anymore.

I think the thing that grates on owners in the "certificated" stuff are the items that are identical to parts outside of the aviation world.

I don't think any of us mind things that are only found on airplanes being certified.

But Gates belts and light bulbs having a number printed on them and their prices jacked up is dumb.

On the other hand, renumbering Gates belts with a Sharpie and charging $70 for 'em may be the only thing keeping the New Piper afloat. ;) ;) ;) (Poor Piper. That was a cheap shot, I know.)

FAA could add wording to the effect of "equivalent parts" somehow to alleviate this but won't. They're too scared of the counterfeit parts that are out there that really aren't equivalent.

Plenty of busts for that in the last decade or so...

I don't think any of us mind things that are only found on airplanes being certified.

True statement. In my experimental aircraft, I'm running a lot of very advanced non-certificated technology up front - because it's what I WANT in the panel and it works. Full glass, coupled autopilot, the works.

But I am also putting in a certified Garmin 430W for IFR approaches - because that just makes good sense (not to mention being legal, but that's secondary).

$400 landing lights and $70 belts are just bone-head stupid.

You just keep believing that Tom. :nonod:

If you don't believe me, and you are really an FAA employee, call my PMI, that should be an easy do for a real FAA type, and ask him about the polished T-Bone at BVS see what he says.

Let's see if you really have the balls to call him. I don't think the wannabe can.

In Canada we can use commercial parts in some applications. If the part number in the IPC is the same as the commercial part, it's good. Some voltage regulators and things like Timken wheel bearings fall into this category. The FAA could easily incorporate this sort of thing.

The regulation: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part5-standards-571s-1827.htm#571s_07

Dan:

They already have. If the IPC shows a generic(OEM) part number then an off the shelf part may be used.

Brantly Helicopter did this. On the Parts Manual they would use Timken bearing part numbers as well as Brantly part numbers, so either one was acceptable.

Not sure how many other manufacturers also did something similar but I could understand why they wouldn't in our litigious society.

Of course I know that there are people who do this now. I once had an out-of town A&P suggest that I go to an auto parts store to buy a voltage regulator as long as I was the one who was doing the installing. I thought he was nuts. This was probably in the late 1980s.

Off-the-shelf is not necessarily a cure-all. I wanted a regulator for my Continental, and took the old one to the car parts place. They gave me a new one...which didn't work on the 'ol C-85. The new one had a slight cosmetic difference (the terminals were evenly spaced instead of the middle one being slightly offset). Turns out the aircraft engine had a two-brush generators while cars back in the 50's apparently had three-brush units that got by with a simpler regulator.

Assuming there's a NAPA part number or some such to ask for, one could probably do it safely. But where do you *get* that part number? Do you trust the internet to give you the right one so the system doesn't blow $10,000 worth of avionics? :)

Ron Wanttaja

Back