Experienced CFII offering high quality virtual Instrument Rating ground instruction

Philip Stokes

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CFII from Los Angeles
What's going on, aviators!!

I'm an experienced Certified Flight Instructor ASEL - Instrument (CFII / AGI / IGI) and I thought I'd reach out to the community here with something unique that would really help you out. With COVID-19 still affecting the lives of people across the world, we've seen widespread transitioning to classroom education in the virtual space, causing the flight training sector to be hit pretty hard -- and yet we've still got student pilots out there who need high quality education, and experienced pilots out there who need biannual flight reviews, instrument proficiency checks, and supplemental ground instruction to maintain proficiency of their knowledge material and aeronautical decision making.

As you may have noticed, BASICALLY NO INSTRUCTORS LIKE DOING GROUND!! Understandably, they're trying to spend as much time in the airplane so they can get paid, accumulate hours, in order to get to the airlines as quickly as possible. That's where I come in. I'm an experienced CFII with hundreds of hours of dual given in the airplane, but have been teaching (and LOVING!!) ground instruction for about 6 or 7 years (additional qualifications available upon request) and training by a Gold Seal CFII who is currently the Training Program Director of a Part 135 air carrier. I'm the chief ground instructor at a flight school operating out of Torrance Airport (KTOA), born and raised in Los Angeles where I did the entirety of my training from start to finish (super quick-paced airspace). ****As the only full-arm amputee CFII in the country (AmA), I offer a unique perspective on workload/stress management and have been interviewed on popular aviation podcasts such as "Angle of Attack/Aviatorcast", "mojogrip", and "The finer points." ****

My offer is simple: I'd like to coordinate with you in order to meet up on skype, zoom, etc to give you high quality ground instruction for the Instrument Rating using powerpoint presentations of the COMPLETE Instrument curriculum including but not limited to:

- Extensive focus on Physiology / SRM / CRM / and IFR related NTSB accident analysis with emphasis on personal minimums and ADM

- Engaging and stimulating visuals sourced from FAA publications as well as instructional demonstration videos in a simulator

- A dedicated lecture on regulations, including legal requirements and ADM regarding the selection of the alternate airport, position reporting, and takeoff/landing IFR

- Integrated knowledge test prep questions and practice quizzes for each sub-unit

Get in touch with me for pricing or any other details. My rate is exceptionally less than what you'll pay going through a flight school that will over-charge and take half! Will send endorsements for the knowledge test and for the ground/knowledge portion of the Instrument Proficiency Check. Let's work together to keep the skies safe by staying on top of our knowledge, proficiency, risk management, and situational awareness!

TL;DR: I'm an experienced CFII with a passion for giving high quality ground instruction, specializing in Instrument training. Get in touch with me to meet up in the virtual classroom space in order to learn/review the full IFR knowledge material and then an endorsement at the end. THE BEST way to cut costs on your instrument training even if you are currently training in the airplane.

Personally, that wasn't an observation I've noticed at least in the DFW area...

That's really relieving to hear! It was a bit of a simplification/generalization. But if you have a lot of instructors in your environment that enjoy doing ground, that's awesome! It's the ground material that's the real deal.

What's going on, aviators!!

I do not know if this is a question or a hip youtube video... :D

Good luck with your endeavor (seriously). Having been within a few hours of losing an arm at 14 years old and the years of recovery it took to get some normality back in my life, I tip my hat to you and your accomplishments.

Remember that unsolicited commenting on the value of an item in the Classifieds section is a violation of the ROC. Numerous posts have been deleted. If this happens too often, the MC will turn off the ability to comment on Classifieds posts.

If local are you willing to do ground in person? I can fly into Torrance.

absolutely lets do it. would be happy to work with you in the plane too if you'd like! I responded through whatsapp. talk soon!

I do not know if this is a question or a hip youtube video... :D

Good luck with your endeavor (seriously). Having been within a few hours of losing an arm at 14 years old and the years of recovery it took to get some normality back in my life, I tip my hat to you and your accomplishments.

Thank you so much for your empathy and encouragement!! It really means a lot to me because theres been so much additional time that I've needed t put in in order to cope with instructing -- especially in the IMC environment. So you have experience with a deficient upper extremity -- that's crazy, man!! What kind of shape is it in now? Do you fly with your arm being partial-use? Would love to swap stories and compare thoughts on workload management technique.

Thanks again man -- these are the comments I live for! We pilots need to be supporting each other despite our experience level.

Thank you so much for your empathy and encouragement!! It really means a lot to me because theres been so much additional time that I've needed t put in in order to cope with instructing -- especially in the IMC environment. So you have experience with a deficient upper extremity -- that's crazy, man!! What kind of shape is it in now? Do you fly with your arm being partial-use? Would love to swap stories and compare thoughts on workload management technique.

Thanks again man -- these are the comments I live for! We pilots need to be supporting each other despite our experience level.

Roughly four decades ago I had a double-compound fracture of my lower arm with extensive ulnar nerve and artery damage. For two weeks they debated whether to try to allow it to heal or just chop it off at the break. To this day I still have nerve damage effects in the ulnar region and a scar running nearly the entire length of my arm. I learned how to adapt, persevere, and overcome well enough to get through 20 years in the Navy with nobody the wiser. I still have relatively good control of the thumb and first two digits so pretty much everything I do has to be adapted to using just those three. Since the broken arm was my primary arm I had to learn how to become ambidextrous. I can now use both hands equally as poorly. ;) That actually became an asset as a CFI because swapping seats and reversing the functions of each hand was pretty much automatic by that point.

Back