Expensive parts - not just for aviation anymore

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Well, I finally ran out of time and patience in dealing with a hard-starting Cummins diesel engine the last 4 or 5 days (and getting progressively worse), and dropped the truck off at a local diesel shop. They diagnosed a fuel shutoff solenoid as intermittant and said it's a Dodge dealer ony part to the tune of over $600. Never one to take a shellacing without a token protest, good old google turns up an OEM replacement part for $197 plus shipping, etc... The good news is it's a 5 minute replacement, once the part is in hand.

Sigh, just when I resigned myself to continue to patch the old girl up and drive her as long as she'll last, so I can use a new truck payment to begin funding a used airplane purchase account, she bites me again...

gkainz said:
Never one to take a shellacing without a token protest, good old google turns up an OEM replacement part for $197 plus shipping, etc... The good news is it's a 5 minute replacement, once the part is in hand.

Sigh, just when I resigned myself to continue to patch the old girl up and drive her as long as she'll last, so I can use a new truck payment to begin funding a used airplane purchase account, she bites me again...

Greg. So your only paying $197 plus the small amount of labor to install? That's not too bad all things considered. Then again, I'm not paying it either. I'll trade you though when I get the Tiger's annual bill. :)

Anthony said:
Greg. So your only paying $197 plus the small amount of labor to install? That's not too bad all things considered. Then again, I'm not paying it either. I'll trade you though when I get the Tiger's annual bill. :)
Yep, instead of $600 and some labor to install. But, if not for Dodge Truck World website and google, I would have ended up paying $600 for the darn part... at least I don't have to worry about PMA parts, FAA certs, etc... yet!
BTW, what's the word on progress with the Tiger?

Back