Expanding Drivers License Medical

...I suspect vintage LSAs will loose quite a bit of value, but that was created artificially by the SP rules in the first place.

LSA qualified classics were never valued THAT much above the same basic models that are not LSA compliant. The only thing they have going for them is maybe a larger market of potential buyers. It is somewhat ironic that a 65 hp Champ with no electrical system can sell easier and for more money that one with 85 hp and a starter and the guys buying them and having to hand prop them to get them started are the ones who can't pass a third class medical. :rolleyes:

It is somewhat ironic that a 65 hp Champ with no electrical system can sell easier and for more money that one with 85 hp and a starter and the guys buying them and having to hand prop them to get them started are the ones who can't pass a third class medical. :rolleyes:

No, it is completely ironic...

Another cosponsor today. That makes 41 total, is that number good? What effect do cosponsors have on a bill?

A cosponsor is someone who has agreed to accept some kind of quid-pro-quo for the agreement not to oppose legislation. It's back-slapping and horse trading at it's finest. It's a good thing overall when a bill has a lot of cosponsors. Less chance of being held up in committee later on, and possibly fewer riders or changes. But - no guarantee, it is the congress after all.

Now it looks like we are up to 51 co-sponsors!!

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/3708/cosponsors

Even as someone who holds an unrestricted medical, and is relatively young (32), I still am hoping this passes ASAP.

If I can SCUBA dive, snowmobile, and operate a 2 ton boat (all of which can easily kill myself and others if done carelessly) w/o massive bureaucratic intrusion, why should acting as PIC of an aircraft lighter than my measly Honda Civic be any different.

This week's AOPA video says we are only weeks away from big news on this - hope it's good. But when is the last time anything good came out of DC....? Fingers crossed :yes:

AOPA Live says the FAA are the ones who will be announcing something. So did just the fact that there is a bill proposed that would force them to act cause them to act proactively, sort of? My gut feeling is that the announcement will be that they propose a study to evaluate the impact on safety and that they'll get back to us in 10 years.

It doesn't seem like enough time has passed for them to make a groundbreaking change like abandonment of the 3rd class medical. The most I would hope for from the FAA is some kind of alteration to the sport pilot rules that allows the use of some heavier aircraft without changing the passenger or VFR limits.

What do you think the announcement might be?
Do you think partial action by the FAA take steam away from the GA Protection Act bill?

The might try substituting a state CDL medical for their own, something the docs said would be workable. I'll be very surprised if they go for it whole hog.

The might try substituting a state CDL medical for their own, something the docs said would be workable. I'll be very surprised if they go for it whole hog.

I wonder if they might take the AOPA/EAA DL for Recreational proposal.

I wonder if they might take the AOPA/EAA DL for Recreational proposal.
I hope not. It would be like having a camper that you couldn't take more than 50 miles from home. The Recreational rules remind me of those toy airplanes you fly that are tethered like a kite that you just fly in circles.

I hope not. It would be like having a camper that you couldn't take more than 50 miles from home. The Recreational rules remind me of those toy airplanes you fly that are tethered like a kite that you just fly in circles.

The proposal would permit Private Pilots to do all the stuff PPs that RPs need endorsements for (like Class B or >50nm), but basically permitted 180 HP, 4 seat (one passenger) with DL.

Back