Exhaust stacks yellowing

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
I have taken my lower cowl off my Cherokee 180 and on one of the exhaust stacks it is yellow. What in the world does that mean? Mechanic will be out tomorrow to take a look but just getting an idea.

How old is the exhaust? And which stack is turning yellow?

Sounds like you have an exhaust leak. Is this near a flange or a slip joint?

New in 2002 with 900 hours on it. its the rear stack. I didn't see any cracks and the yellowing kind of rubs off.

heat is the cause of the yellowing.
I would check compression in that cylinder and I would bore scope it,
I would pay extra attention to the condition of that exhaust valve,
I think it is leaking.
yes $$$

Its at a joint and on both stacks there is no clamp on the stack side. Ill take a picture tomorrow.

Is it almost up against a heat shield on the cowl? Sometimes the reflected radiant energy from a heat shield very near an exhaust pipe will discolour (and eventually cause spalling) on the exterior of the exhaust system. My Aztec has this problem in one location in the nose bowl area on each engine. Alternatively you could have a leak at a joint.

Well...Im the proud owner of a box full of exhaust pats going out for Overhaul. The yellowing Im told is an exhaust leak, ive seen exhaust leaks in cars but never seen yellow... We found multiple cracks and the baffling inside broken up. One of the slip joints, on the yellowing muffler was rather beat up looking. Inside the muffler there is no yellowing its all on the outside. Compressions are all in the mid 70's to the person that was asking and use a quart of oil in about 12ish hours. .

Whew this is going to be an expensive annual and I just had my altimeter, AI, and right mag overhauled. Now exhaust. Yeah $$$$...Oh well

I noticed looking up behind the exhaust valves that some are white and some just look normal color..(yeah normal color..whatever that is) Mechanic says its normal but I had to ask.

I really like owner assisted annuals, my second one and you learn so much!

Hmmm, is that biscotti yellow, macaroon yellow, or more dollar green now?

don't clamp the slip joint....it needs to float...or it will crack.

Back