Exhaust Leak!!

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
After flying home from South Carolina I noticed residue on my cowling.. pulled the lower cowl and it appears on of my exhaust stacks are leaking near what is described in the manual as the “clamp assembly”. (Sorry no actual pictures yet but did attach a highlighted picture of the manual)

Has anyone have a leak occur there? Possibly just have the clamp replaced or tightened? I have my A/P coming over this weekend to check it out..

My little C0 detector didn’t go off so that’s a good thing..

8096d0adb8f17cba717ad04220197c0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had that 2 years ago but with that I also found a crack and the muffler baffling was busted. $900 bucks later I had a whole new system from Dawley. That same clamp area was very yellow on mine as well..Ive got a pic some where. If I remember that clamp can not be tightened....

I had that 2 years ago but with that I also found a crack and the muffler baffling was busted. $900 bucks later I had a whole new system from Dawley. That same clamp area was very yellow on mine as well..Ive got a pic some where. If I remember that clamp can not be tightened....

So if you didn’t have a busted baffling then could it have been repaired? We even had the heat on and nothing detected CO.

Last edited:
I’m trying to gather info for my AP also Incase we need to remove the exhaust.. can someone verify the torque values for the stacks?

I honestly don't know...now that I think about it that clamp can be tightened...doesnt it have a threaded post, maybe can tighten up the nut a bit?? Mine was very sloppy once taken apart, I don't think in my case it could have been, just too much play. Ask your mechanic or call up Dawley, they are very nice and helpful.

I think it was like 22 inch pounds..ive got the manual so let me check.

Good grief I can't find a torque value for it! Sigh...all I find is a 1/4-20 bolt 25 to 30 inch pounds which I beleive we did mine likely to 25 since I thought 22 earlier. How many hours on the muffler? Manual says the life of the muffler is about 1000 hours.

Good grief I can't find a torque value for it! Sigh...all I find is a 1/4-20 bolt 25 to 30 inch pounds which I beleive we did mine likely to 25 since I thought 22 earlier. How many hours on the muffler? Manual says the life of the muffler is about 1000 hours.

I would say past that.. I have put nearly 500 hours on it since I bought it a few years ago. I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about the muffler.. I will have to go back through it.. I am guessing I am over 1000..

My thought with that is the muffler slip joint might be too wallered out?

Also on that flange nut..dont listen to me. Searching the web I have read 96 in pounds up to a ridiculous torque. Reading the service manual I could not turn up anything on that nut. It's brass so I'd be scared to hit 96 in pounds. As my mechanic always says for torque: tighten until it strips and back off slightly. Hahaha he kids of course but always tells me that.

Also in the front of the manual there is torque specs for each size bolt. Will likely just have to use that as a spec. I beleive those are 1/4-20 but might be next size up. Can't remember off the top of my head. It's been 2 years ago.

Last edited:
I wonder if they slip joint can be fixed somehow? clamp ect? I will need to take a better look tonight

I just spoke to Dawley.. you are right they are great people.. He said that the slip joint does have a adjustment on it and I might be able to try that but likely it will need the slip joint replaced.. I will find out this weekend! worse case I am out $1000 but that's ok.. I don't want CO poisoning !!

Last edited:
I went through the PDF version of my logs just now and the last time the exhaust has had anything done to it was in 1987 and 1500 TT hours ago.. The engine was overhauled since then and I doubt they replaced the exhaust..

My continental engines (520 & 200) have a torque spec in the torque specs SB; what engine? (It is likely not the same as for a similar size bolt as it is a cylinder stud...if you are talking about the exhaust riser nuts).
If I got 1500hrs and 3 decades! out of an exhaust I would not feel cheated at sending it off now.

If you do business with them be prepared to open the box solo and have it shipped to you. If your mechanic opens it or is shipped to him he will get the bag of delicious peanuts they send out!

They did really good work, its a shame once the cowling is on you never see it. My exhaust I got back was purdy!!!

9bb124a0f8162279db2def81bba10275.jpg

So it’s worse than I thought! Looks like one of the mufflers separated from the casing... guess it will be coming off this weekend and sent to the shop..

Also, does anyone know the diameter of the orange ducting that goes to the cabin heat from the muffler? I am guessing 4” but the manual I have doesn’t reference a size and the part number doesn’t either..

Yikes! Well Dawley will hook you up and they will look great!

We removed the exhaust and looks like I’m getting away with just a front muffler and a clamp! Wheeew lol

You might want to think about sending the risers in too that way they will be new and ensure a good fit with the slip joint. Just a thought....

Sadly, a lot of times there is an exhaust leak coming from around the side like that the exhaust has a nice crack in the heat ex-changer. One thing else to look out for with this is a major drop in your carb heat check. The carb heat will start taking in exhaust and cause a major drop. I would also agree to send the risers as well. With that big crack in the heat ex-changer you likely have other problems as well. The guys at Dawley are real good to work with also.

Back