Exercising a plane

Why not place a battery minder on it and leave it set?

That may be a good idea. I wonder if that would be considered charging which I don't think is recommended while the battery is in the plane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good battery tender will be smart enough... I've had my car sit for over a month on a tender, and I know of owners who do the same with their airplanes

I vent mine on landing, maybe it's hooey, but it sure looks like steam with crap coming out. I'm running Exxon Elite.

I've read some guys take a hair blower (non-heat-low) and back blow the crankcase out of the open oil filler through the vent tube. That's a little anal .... :rolleyes:

I am looking into engine dehydrator's or maybe going to build one. We get 100% humidity down here sometimes.

If you are going to leave any engine set for a longer period, reset the electrolysis clock by moving the crank a few degrees.

A standard steel cylinder that sat unattended unpreserved from 1992 until Nov, 2012.

And it wiped clean with a rag.

Attachments

• DSCN3362.JPG
    DSCN3362.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN3363.JPG
    DSCN3363.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN3364.JPG
    DSCN3364.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN3365.JPG
    DSCN3365.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 28
A standard steel cylinder that sat unattended unpreserved from 1992 until Nov, 2012.

And it wiped clean with a rag.

So you think all the venting and dehydrator stuff is a bunch of unnecessary crap right?

I'm not picking a fight, I want to know.

Mine sits a little longer than I want it to sometimes.

So you think all the venting and dehydrator stuff is a bunch of unnecessary crap right?

No, I'm saying that corrosion isn't the big boogy man it's hyped up to be. Every engine and storage condition is a study in it's self.

Back