Executive Air Operations Supervisor II

No big surprise - often jobs get posted by law, with no intention of them ever being filled from public applicants.

I got a letter from the US Dep't of labor once - a job I applied for had been filled (attorney job). It was news to me- I never applied! They just got my name from a list of counsel with whom they had come into contact.

Likely that someone forgot to grab the envelopes of statutorily-required notices and throw them into the trash instead of the mail slot. I probably could have had some fun with all that...

Figures.

I thought I would post it here anyways.

Just to be clear: I do not KNOW that this job is already set up for a 'political appointee', it is my general low expectation about the ethics of state goverment hiring that caused me to make that comment.

It sounds like a plum state job with a good paycheck. I would be suprised if someone who just walked in off the street with the credentials required would be able to pick it up.

Why would a state government agency have to conform to Part 135? I thought government agencies were exempt.

-Rich

Why would a state government agency have to conform to Part 135? I thought government agencies were exempt.

-Rich
I think they are exempt from the FAA standpoint in many instances. But as I understand it, many state governments have said that official governmental airplanes shall adhere to FAA rules. Now, how that works for Part 135 unless they opt to go out and develop an operating & procedures handbook, I don't know, but would be interested to learn.

-Rich

My experience has been that most State and local government agencies operating aircraft such as light twins, turbo-props, smaller jets (which is typically what they fly) for transportation missions, choose to operate under Part 91, not Part 135. If you are only flying your "own" people - others employed by the same government entity - and you are not flying "outside" passengers for hire - there would be absolutely no reason for the particular State or local gov't aircraft operator to burden themselves with a 135 operation. They are just going to fly part 91 like a "regular" corporate aircraft operator.

However, you may find some government aircraft operators flying "special" missions (law enforcement, fire, etc) that operate pursuant to what is called "Public Use"...... those folks may elect to (and/or be required to) fly outside the scope of Part 91, and under the umbrella of Public Use operations.

While the ad seems to state it, I would be suprised if the state of NC actually has a part 135 operating certificate. They may just want that the ops supervisor adheres to part135 operating rules when it comes to maintenance and dispatch.

There are the occasional 'guests' on state planes who either for reasons of law, or to avoid the impression of impropriety decide to reimburse the state for air travel expenses (e.g. companies that have or seek state contracts, spouses, travel of campaign staff).

While the ad seems to state it, I would be suprised if the state of NC actually has a part 135 operating certificate. They may just want that the ops supervisor adheres to part135 operating rules when it comes to maintenance and dispatch.

There are the occasional 'guests' on state planes who either for reasons of law, or to avoid the impression of impropriety decide to reimburse the state for air travel expenses (e.g. companies that have or seek state contracts, spouses, travel of campaign staff).

Okay, I guess that makes sense.

I was told once by a CFI that technically speaking, any backwoods Bubba with a badge that says "Chief" can start his own air force if he wants to. I thought he was exaggerating, but I later found out that he wasn't that far off.

-Rich

Back